PDA

View Full Version : calling all childminders...can i pick ur brains please :)

donnabromleyrc
07-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Im having some real problems
here goes.....
i started up my childminding business in april....ready to take children at the beginning of june
Heres the problem
parents ring me and i set up an appointment for them to come round for a chat....normally the next day

but.....
they never show up

had a few do this already and it's getting me down...

what am i doing wrong???
would it be better you think to invite them round straight away...

do you get a lot do this or is it just me.....I don't live in the nicest area of town either and im beginning to think I'll never get any clients and to pack it all in...Putting hundreds of pounds down the drain

please advise

any comment welcome

ta

Little Bear
07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi

Yes it does happen. I found that very annoying as well. What I do now is remind the parents the evening before, just to confirm they are attending. It jogs their memory as well.

Starting childminding is harder than you think, but stay with it, it is worth it in the end.

:jump for joy:

blue bear
07-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Are you out in the community, at toddlers children's centres etc. people who have met you already are more likely to turn up regardless of where you live.
Getting them to come round that day of the call can work also texting a reminder the night before.
One member on here pops round e house with her info leaflet and meets the parents so it's not a stranger as such.

Childminding works best with word of mouth and so getting going can be tough, but stick with it, you will get there.

donnabromleyrc
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
i thought about the childrens centre down the road but to b honest i would feel very awkward going into the centre and toddler group with out any children....my children are 7 and 5 and are at school so i cant take them...dont fancy sitting there with no kids....would get looked at like a weirdo :eek:

Are you out in the community, at toddlers children's centres etc. people who have met you already are more likely to turn up regardless of where you live.
Getting them to come round that day of the call can work also texting a reminder the night before.
One member on here pops round e house with her info leaflet and meets the parents so it's not a stranger as such.

Childminding works best with word of mouth and so getting going can be tough, but stick with it, you will get there.

Rubybubbles
07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
:( I have just moved and so far had 2 no shows, 1 lady who said no as I wasn't busy(:panic: don't get that, I have 1 part time family I have moved lol, that is why I have spaces haha) But seem to be getting interest.

It's hard but we have to slog through the bad

miffy
08-06-2012, 10:11 AM
If you think the area you live in is putting people off then it might be worth setting up a website so that people can see photos of what you offer.

Miffy xx

JCrakers
08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes it happens a lot :( Not happened to me yet but I've read a lot of posts about parents not turning up. I think its very rude. People change their minds and don't think about phoning or texting.

Next time you have a potential visitor I would pop into conversation 'If you cant make it or decide against it could you please just drop me a text or phonecall to let me know,please as I've a few people just not turn up'

It can be hard to start off with as all my mindees are recommendations and because I show my face around town at various groups, parents see me with the children..Hang in there , it will come soon :D

loocyloo
08-06-2012, 10:50 AM
i thought about the childrens centre down the road but to b honest i would feel very awkward going into the centre and toddler group with out any children....my children are 7 and 5 and are at school so i cant take them...dont fancy sitting there with no kids....would get looked at like a weirdo :eek:

i moved house 14 mths ago. my children are at school and i chatted to mums at school and everywhere i went and told everyone what i did. i also have a fleece that says 'childminder' on the back! people have noticed it and told others! but i did go to toddlers on my own !!! my local toddlers i went to every week! i helped make tea/coffee, played with the children, did the crafts, helped tidy away, joined in song time and chatted ot the mums! i also popped into other toddlers groups every now and again and chatted to mums & played! i got one mindee from toddlers, and a child who comes for respite care in the holidays ( met mum at toddlers ). then someone from another toddler group told her friend about me, and i have mindees from that connection! at another toddler group i also met a couple of local ( ish ) childminders ( we are few & far betweeen here ).
i used to pop into the childrens centre, and got to know the staff. and i went to baby clinic to say hello to the HV, who i had talked to on the phone!

i am REALLY shy, and found it hard, BUT i needed to work, plus, i didn't know ANYONE so i needed some adult company whilst children at school and DH at work! i made sure i had some business cards/fliers to hand out which gave me a 'reason' to go and talk to people.

good luck xxx

cat lady at 38
08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
yes this happens all the time, had one turm up an hour late and another at the correct time but a different date altogether was worried she might forget her child! im new too trying to fill my space, if i had made an appointment with a customer who i really felt i wanted her custom i may text her the day before to remind her, hope your gett lucky soon, are you in bromley as it says in your name title, as i live very near to a childrens centre we could get together if you like im in downham.

donnabromleyrc
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
hi...this made me giggle a bit (sorry) no im in lancashire...bromley is my surname lol:laughing:

yes this happens all the time, had one turm up an hour late and another at the correct time but a different date altogether was worried she might forget her child! im new too trying to fill my space, if i had made an appointment with a customer who i really felt i wanted her custom i may text her the day before to remind her, hope your gett lucky soon, are you in bromley as it says in your name title, as i live very near to a childrens centre we could get together if you like im in downham.

Tazmin68
08-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Hi
Put a card up at school. Do go to toddler groups or children centres and local minders groups as they may get enquiries but are full and pass your details on. I am lucky I had two spaces free and they are currently being used for 15 hours two year old funding and a short term respite through local authority.