PDA

View Full Version : WOW a quick reply from MS Truss to letter 4

Penny1959
07-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I am impressed - a reply already to to my fourth letter sent yesterday.

Before I get too excited (and before I reply) please could you read it and let me know if this is standard reply 4 - or if I am making some limited progress?

I am encouraged by the change in wording - away from agency and asking questions.

Hi Penny,

Thanks for your thoughts. The issue as I see it at present is that Local Authorities are given some responsibility and budget, employing childminding advisers which cost money - as are Ofsted, so there is duplication. To my mind, money that could be spend on front line childcare is being taken up with advisory services. I am not sure that just the current Ofsted regime of a visit every 3-4 years and no training is right either.

How much money does your local authority spends on childminder support services?

Best wishes,

Elizabeth

marnieb
07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
good god..................................

:eek:

that actually seems like a genuine e-mail from the lady herself!!!!!!!!!

loocyloo
07-06-2012, 02:22 PM
my word! she might have actually read your email!

sounds like these letters are getting to her!

well done!

xxx

ORKSIE
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
:thumbsup:

Well done....seems your getting somewhere at last.

x

desiderata
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Well done Penny !! it seems she is listening at last. Some of those comments actually make sense xx. Thanks for battling for all of us.

Smiley
07-06-2012, 03:36 PM
still waiting for my 3rd reply, sent email over a week ago :(

Kiddleywinks
07-06-2012, 03:58 PM
I am impressed - a reply already to to my fourth letter sent yesterday.

Before I get too excited (and before I reply) please could you read it and let me know if this is standard reply 4 - or if I am making some limited progress?

I am encouraged by the change in wording - away from agency and asking questions.

Hi Penny,

Thanks for your thoughts. The issue as I see it at present is that Local Authorities are given some responsibility and budget, employing childminding advisers which cost money - as are Ofsted, so there is duplication. To my mind, money that could be spend on front line childcare is being taken up with advisory services. I am not sure that just the current Ofsted regime of a visit every 3-4 years and no training is right either.

How much money does your local authority spends on childminder support services?

Best wishes,

Elizabeth

Apologies if I'm appearing a bit dim... but is she referring to our local Development Officers in the statement I've highlighted above, because if she is then she is incorrect in that assumption. Ofsted, in my limited experience DON'T do the same job so there is no duplication, or am I missing something?

Ofsted don't help a minder to do paperwork, risk assessments, advise of local events, come to evening meetings, or organise training.
I know there are a lot of minders unhappy with their DO, but I lurve mine :laughing::clapping:

The Juggler
07-06-2012, 04:18 PM
it does seem like she has genuinely replied :eek::panic: However, she is asking YOU to find out what your LA spends - cheeky mare - that is her job surely if she's researching it.

I see where she might have got her initial plan from (as badly thought through as it is), as to have 2 lots of advisors is doubling up. But all our advisors are disappearing anyway :panic:

Winnie
07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Apologies if I'm appearing a bit dim... but is she referring to our local Development Officers in the statement I've highlighted above, because if she is then she is incorrect in that assumption. Ofsted, in my limited experience DON'T do the same job so there is no duplication, or am I missing something?

Ofsted don't help a minder to do paperwork, risk assessments, advise of local events, come to evening meetings, or organise training.
I know there are a lot of minders unhappy with their DO, but I lurve mine :laughing::clapping:

You are correct, development workers prime function is to support childminders and raise standards within their local authority area. Their job is to identify training needs/skills required, to help childminders progress towards a quality assurance mark (which could be CCF or a local mark) and to encourage childminders to become 'accredited'. All this and more is so that the LA can access money from the government and meet the targets they are set. Ofsted are 'independent and impartial' :rolleyes:they inspect and regulate - in other words they ensure the EYFS childcare act etc that the government and Parliament has made law is followed. Two totally different things :)