PDA

View Full Version : retainer over summer

lulubelle
06-06-2012, 09:42 PM
i have a term time only contract with a mum who is in uni, she was hoping to keep sending the children 1 day a week over the summer but it seems this wont be possible now so she wants to pay a reatiner but i am wondering how much to ask for as i have never had to do it before. her average weekly bill is £175 if that helps (i dont think she will want to pay anything like that amount tho!!!)

missymood
06-06-2012, 10:00 PM
I do half fees for holidays:thumbsup:

LittleLegsCM
06-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I have a term time family who pay retainer for during the holidays as mum and dad sometimes get work on the off chance. They pay 50% of their normal fees (although it's averaged out over the term so it's slightly different to why you would be doing) x

Tealady
06-06-2012, 11:55 PM
A retainer is just that i.e. to retain the place.

If your contract states that it is term time only (or it was signed on the mutual understanding that was only when you would be required) , then you took it on knowing that you wouldn't be required in the holidays, Therefore you agreed only to take the child term-time so you can't really charge a retainer even if she is signed up to come back in September.

If it has only just come to light that your parent does not want to send the child over the summer and your contract is care 52 weeks a year (except your holiday) then you are within your rights to charge full for the holiday unless the contract expires on the last day of term.

However if contract is a rolling you may wish to be flexible. If by charging full you may loose the contract and not fill the place in september then you could comprimise. If you charge in full the maybe she will send the child everyday which is fine if you want to work that much. You may wish to have a drop in income just to have less busy days or even the day off. Therefore it is up to you to balance out what you charge with how much you want to work.

Bridey
07-06-2012, 05:55 AM
A retainer is just that i.e. to retain the place.

If your contract states that it is term time only (or it was signed on the mutual understanding that was only when you would be required) , then you took it on knowing that you wouldn't be required in the holidays, Therefore you agreed only to take the child term-time so you can't really charge a retainer even if she is signed up to come back in September.

I disagree with that statement. I work term-time only but charge my parents a small retainer during the holidays to hold the place for the next term. This is because, in the past, I was undercut by another childminder and a child did not return after the summer break. This cost me potential fees of £500 as I received no notice and had turned down other work. I tried to start the process to recover my lost fees and the parent suddenly left the area with no warning (what a shame for the other minder LOL).

This is my business and I can charge what I want for what I want, as can anyone else.