PDA

View Full Version : email from the Education Secretary (rather his minion)

Donkey
06-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Dear Donkey

Thank you for your email of 24 May, addressed to the Secretary of State, expressing your concerns about the inspection and regulation of childminders. I hope you will appreciate the Secretary of State for Education receives a vast amount of correspondence and is unable to reply to each one personally. It is for this reason I have been asked to reply.

The early years of any child’s life are incredibly important. High-quality early learning helps children to thrive in school and in later life. Beyond the early years parents will continue to need good quality and accessible childcare as their children grow. This enables parents to work and support their family. A professional, well trained and supported childcare workforce is central to making this happen.

This Government is investing heavily in early education and childcare. They are also strongly committed to reducing burdens on childcare professionals. This will free up time for childminders and others to focus on children and to promote, rather than restrict, professional judgement. That is why action has been taken to slim down the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework. The new framework will strike a better balance; keeping children safe and supporting their development while reducing burdens on professionals.

The Government wants to go further and look more widely at whether the current system of regulation of childcare and early education is really driving the kind of outcomes that we all want for children. Regulation of early education and childcare should exist to safeguard children, drive up quality and promote child development. If regulation exists that does not do any of these things then the Government should take action to improve it.

To this end, the Department for Education and Ofsted are currently considering a range of questions, including whether the current registration and inspection arrangements for childminders are as proportionate and effective as they could be.

The Government strongly values the important role that childminders play in improving outcomes for children, including through the delivery of the EYFS and the free entitlement. It is keen to find ways to build on that role and changes to the registration requirements relating to childminders would only be made with full consideration of children’s safety and development as well as implications for childminders, their businesses and parents.

As the Government considers these issues, the Department will continue to consult with, and draw upon the expertise of, childminders and relevant organisations, including the National Childminding Association.

The Secretary of State would like to thank you for inviting him to visit your setting and although he would be keen to do so it would not be possible to arrange anything at present.
Thank you for taking the time to write about this important matter.

As part of our commitment to improving the service we provide to our customers, we are interested in hearing your views and would welcome your comments via our website at www.education.gov.uk/pcusurvey

Yours sincerely

G

thoughts ladies and gents

chattercat
06-06-2012, 07:35 PM
It's all blah blah blah without actually saying anything, some things never change.

sarah707
06-06-2012, 07:44 PM
It's all blah blah blah without actually saying anything, some things never change.

That was my comment when Donkey sent it to me earlier! A lot of saying very little :rolleyes:

But hey she got a reply and it's raised the profile of the campaign! :clapping::clapping:

loocyloo
06-06-2012, 07:56 PM
i just want someone to actually show me HOW there will be less paperwork/burdens !!!

the only thing i can see is we don't HAVE to have written policies, but parents will never remember/say we haven't told them, so mine are all staying written!

and ... in arranging the 2 yr assessment ... we'll end up with that too ! at least i will .... for all 6 of my EY children!

Penny1959
06-06-2012, 08:18 PM
First - Well Done Donkey on getting a reply - even if not from the man himself.

My question is - who are these childminders that they are consulting with?

And just how do they think less regulation will safeguard children and improve outcomes?

As others have said a long letter saying nothing.

Penny :)