PDA

View Full Version : A Mixture of Questions

sprinkles
06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
I've got a few questions to ask so figured I would just put them in the one thread instead of loads of separate ones. You don't need to answer every question - any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Ok, so...

Fees - do you work bank holidays? Do you charge double time if you are required on a bank holiday? How many holidays do you take a year? My fees policy states that no fees are payable for my holidays but full fees are payable for theirs so does it matter how many holidays I allow them if they are paying full fees anyway? If they take holidays at the same time as me can I still charge?

About me - what do you have in your 'about me' bit for parents? So far I've got my name, who I live with, a bit about our house and a bit about the pets - anything else I need? Do you have a separate bit about your setting? I'm struggling to think of what to put in it!

Settling in sessions - do you offer these? How many/how long for? Do you charge for them?

Do you have minimum hours per day for little ones that aren't at school or nursery? If so, how many hours?

Where do you store all your paperwork? Do you keep it in a filing cabinet? Do you have a separate folder for each child with learning journals, contract, all about them etc in?

Attendance record - what do you use for this? Do you have a separate one for each day or for each child? Do you just use sheets of paper or a notepad?

Sorry some of these questions seem so obvious but they're the ones that are niggling at me :laughing:

Thanks in advance for any help :D

sarahjane
06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
It's difficult isn't it with so many things to think about :)

Fees - I don't work bank holidays and I don't charge for them although some do. I also don't charge for my holidays but do for theirs, if they take holiday when I do I don't charge as I'm not available to work. There's no restrictions on how much holiday they take as they pay me if I'm available

Hours - I have a minimum of 5 hours per day in my policies

Settling in Sessions - I discuss and arrange on an individual basis and yes I charge full rate for these

Attendance record - I use the NCMA book

Paperwork - kept in locked filing cabinet. I have a file for all the contracts and permission forms etc and then each child has a file for their leaning journey

Hope that helps x

stargazer1
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Right, will tackle in your order:

Fees - I don't charge for bank holidays as I dont want to work them. I would imagine if you are charging full time for their hols you cant really put a limit on how much they take. I charge half fees for their holidays and limit this to 4 weeks a year. I dont charge for my holidays, so I think if they take their holiday the same time as you when you arent available anyway, you cant really charge.

About me - think you've pretty much got it covered. Maybe a small bit about the setting and what you will provide.

Settling in - I think its sensible to offer them - some children really need them. I offer a maximum of three 2 hour sessions that I dont charge for. If the parent requires more than this, then it is charged at normal rate. Minimum hours - I charge a minimum of 4 hours a day for under school age and a minimum of 2 hours a day for schoolies Storage - Im still working on that one! Attendance record - I use the NCMA one. Very important to have it as it is basically the record of the children in your care at the time, the hours they are there, etc. You can use your own forms tho, you dont need to use NCMA ones. The NCMA one has a separate form for each child.

chattercat
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Fees - do you work bank holidays? Do you charge double time if you are required on a bank holiday? How many holidays do you take a year? My fees policy states that no fees are payable for my holidays but full fees are payable for theirs so does it matter how many holidays I allow them if they are paying full fees anyway? If they take holidays at the same time as me can I still charge?

Double fee on bank holiday if they come, normal fee if they don't come and are contracted too.

I say I will take up to 4 weeks a year and I don't charge if I am closed. Full fee for parents holidays or anydays they are off through their choice. I say 4 weeks for parent holidays on the contract but if they want more it's not a problem as I am still being paid.

If they take holiday same time as me no charge because I am closed.

About me - what do you have in your 'about me' bit for parents? So far I've got my name, who I live with, a bit about our house and a bit about the pets - anything else I need? Do you have a separate bit about your setting? I'm struggling to think of what to put in it!

About the same, but I do have what I expect from you and what you can expect from me section, mainly about paying on time and sending extra clothes etc.

Settling in sessions - do you offer these? How many/how long for? Do you charge for them?

Once a contract has been signed I offer 2 x 1 hour sessions free, if they want more they pay normal rate for it.

Do you have minimum hours per day for little ones that aren't at school or nursery? If so, how many hours?

I don't do minimum hours.

Where do you store all your paperwork? Do you keep it in a filing cabinet? Do you have a separate folder for each child with learning journals, contract, all about them etc in?

Each child has a LJ under 5 and a scrapbook of pictures for over 5's, all other paperwork in stored in locked filing cabinet in individual files.

Attendance record - what do you use for this? Do you have a separate one for each day or for each child? Do you just use sheets of paper or a notepad?

Each child has an individual one and it lasts for the month, it is based on the NCMA one. Hope this helps.

loocyloo
06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I've got a few questions to ask so figured I would just put them in the one thread instead of loads of separate ones. You don't need to answer every question - any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Ok, so...

Fees - do you work bank holidays? Do you charge double time if you are required on a bank holiday? How many holidays do you take a year? My fees policy states that no fees are payable for my holidays but full fees are payable for theirs so does it matter how many holidays I allow them if they are paying full fees anyway? If they take holidays at the same time as me can I still charge? i am available at the cost of 3 times the hours fee for bank holidays, or parents can pay my usual fee and the children don't attend. (never worked one yet in 9 yrs!) i take about 4 weeks holiday a year. i don't charge for my holiday, but full fee for childrens holidays, so it doesn't matter how many they take :D i don't charge if i am ill/unabale to work, but i charge for full fees for child illness/unable to attend, as i am still available to work

About me - what do you have in your 'about me' bit for parents? So far I've got my name, who I live with, a bit about our house and a bit about the pets - anything else I need? Do you have a separate bit about your setting? I'm struggling to think of what to put in it! i have my name, husbands & childrens names. i say how old my children are, what pets we have, a bit about me - experience and qualifications. i also have a sample menu and list of activities that could be on offer during the week.

Settling in sessions - do you offer these? How many/how long for? Do you charge for them? i don't usually charge for settling sessions, and offer 1 or 2 of up to 2 hours ONCE contracts have been signed. i encourage the parents to come, stay for a few minutes and then leave. if parents want more settling sessions then i charge. however, if i think i need more time to settle the child, then i don't charge.

Do you have minimum hours per day for little ones that aren't at school or nursery? If so, how many hours? i don't have a minimum session, but i do say that i charge for a minimum of 2 hours a week! i try to keep mine to session times, so 9-12, 9-3 etc as that fits in best with my day!

Where do you store all your paperwork? Do you keep it in a filing cabinet? Do you have a separate folder for each child with learning journals, contract, all about them etc in? it all lives on a shelf in the dining room. i do have a lockable file i can use, but as i keep LJs to hand, i only lock them away if i am away. i have all the contracts/permission slips/invoices for all children in one big file, in their own section. i have individual scrap books for LJs. A5 folders come and go for daily diaries, and i have a big folder with everyones accident etc documents in. i keep my attendence book on a table by the front door, so we remember to fill it in/sign! my accounts book tends to live on the side in the kitchen! reading it back, it sounds really confusing! but thats what works for me currently!

Attendance record - what do you use for this? Do you have a separate one for each day or for each child? Do you just use sheets of paper or a notepad?i use the ncma attendence book with a page a month per child.

Sorry some of these questions seem so obvious but they're the ones that are niggling at me :laughing:

hope that helped! :D

littlecheeks
06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
wow!!! lol well the beauty of working for yourself is that most of this is really up to you and how it works best for you. but here goes..

Ok, so...

Fees - do you work bank holidays? no i dont normally, but can if pre-arranged. Do you charge double time if you are required on a bank holiday? i dont charge if i am not required, but charge 50p extra per hour if i do. How many holidays do you take a year? in my contract i say 4 weeks per year My fees policy states that no fees are payable for my holidays but full fees are payable for theirs so does it matter how many holidays I allow them if they are paying full fees anyway? no if they are aware that they have to pay full fees its up tto them how many holidays they take! If they take holidays at the same time as me can I still charge? well some parents will purposely do this so they dont have to pay, i suppose it depends on who has arranged holiday first. if you have already booked your holiday, then there is not much you can do if they go on holiday at the same time and cant really charge them. if they booked first and you then go away, then you run the risk they may cancel holiday and need you? so make sure you tell them they must give you xx notice for canceled holiday.

About me - what do you have in your 'about me' bit for parents? So far I've got my name, who I live with, a bit about our house and a bit about the pets - anything else I need? i include a bit about my qualifications and ofsted grade too. i have a seperate page for equipment and activities. Do you have a separate bit about your setting? I'm struggling to think of what to put in it! yes i have a page on my home, garden etc. what rooms i use i.e playroom if you have one? pitures of it and garden etc.
Settling in sessions - do you offer these? How many/how long for? Do you charge for them? i do charge, i do up 2 hour minimum charge (but they dont have to leave them that long, but still pay for 2 hours) i do as many as the child may need and depending on time etc. i dont charge if parent stays for a visit. (but dont let them take the mick)

Do you have minimum hours per day for little ones that aren't at school or nursery? If so, how many hours? yes this is 2 hours per day

Where do you store all your paperwork? Do you keep it in a filing cabinet? Do you have a separate folder for each child with learning journals, contract, all about them etc in? i have a cupboard under my stairs which i have turned into a mini office. depends what space you have? yes must have seperate folder for each childs lj. i have a seperate one for contracts, personal information etc.

Attendance record - what do you use for this? Do you have a separate one for each day or for each child? Do you just use sheets of paper or a notepad? i am with the NCMA so use there books, but also have a sheet i did myself for each child that parents sign in and out, times at school etc.

hope that helps! x

rickysmiths
06-06-2012, 03:41 PM

Ok, so...

I am available to work BH but at a cost! Double time or triple time for Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years Day. They have to book and pay an month in advance if they need me. I 18 years I have worked one BH. Because I am available to work I charge normal fee if a contracted day falls on a BH, including Christmas an New year if I am not required.

I take 25 days a year plus BH and i charge 1/2 fee.
Parents pay full fee if they don't go away when I do and I don't see why I would ever tell them how much holiday to take, I find most of my parents seem to have 6 weeks plus so I am actually thinking of increasing my holidays to 30 days from next Jan.

No you can't really charge them if they choose to go away at the same time as you.

I have my name and dh name and that I have two older teenage children. The kind of house I live in and where. My experience and qualifications and that I love childminding.

I offer 3 one-two hour sessions free and make it very clear that the parent has to stay close because I will call them back it the child is very upset and that they are not free childcare. Any more than this and they pay full fee.

No min hours. This is where I feel I am different from a Nursery. It is then up to me if I feel I can fit in a child on less hours.

I have a folder for each family in which I keep their Contract, Child Info Form, Permission Forms PR Forms any letters, payment record etc. I keep the Child's LJ and Development sheets with it. I keep these in a tin filing box which has a lock on it but sits on a table in my kitchen when I am working but is locked at all other times and is put upstairs out of the way when I'm not working.

For 18 years I have always used the NCMA attendance register and I have always got my parents to sign it each week. Not a requirement but good practice from a Safeguarding point of view because the parent is confirming the times their child was with you. Also useful if there was ever a dispute about what time you are charging for. I keep it in the tin Filing Box.

Hope the above helps.

Tazmin68
06-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I was going to reply but the majority of replies are what i do as well

sprinkles
06-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Thank you this is so helpful!! Will have a proper look at it tomorrow.

Can I also just ask how everyone records their expenses? Do you have a book you write everything in? Does it need to be categorised or anything?

I've just ordered a printer and paper etc and just wondering how to record it for expenses.

Tealady
06-06-2012, 11:31 PM

Can I also just ask how everyone records their expenses? Do you have a book you write everything in? Does it need to be categorised or anything?

I've just ordered a printer and paper etc and just wondering how to record it for expenses.

I keep a simple spread sheet. Do it on a friday evening as I finish early. Just plug all my expenditure in for the week and my expenses for food and mileage.

Headers are a bit like this:

Date / Type (ie food, utilities, mileage, equipment, activities etc) / Description / amount

LauraS
06-06-2012, 11:55 PM

Ok, so...

Fees...
I intend to work bank holidays, but with the expectation that I won't be called on very much. Will charge normal time if not required, double time if I am.

Will reserve the right to take up to five weeks holiday per year. In a 'normal' year we take about three weeks, but every other year or so we take a long holiday abroad so would need an extra week.

I'm doing as you are with full fee for parents holidays, and I'd say they can take as many as they please so long as they let me know - I don't want to be waiting around for the child or planning for them if they are going to treat me like a drop-in centre.

As to charging, I'd say no to be fair, as you might have one set of parents getting your holiday period 'free' and another paying full price because they have booked it as their holiday, which doesn't seem right

About me... Nothing yet! Aaaaaarghhhh! I'm thinking a bit about me and my family, ourhouse, pets, what life here is like, something about my home and garden. I've written this a few times but am struggling to nail 'us' on paper, if that makes any sense. Photo's will help, I think

Settling in sessions - I will do, I think they are important from the child's perspective. Perhaps two or three sessions of an hour or two, depending on the child. Free of charge but only after contracts have been signed.

Do you have minimum hours... This one is hard, isn't it. On the one hand, you don't want to turn people away, but on the other need to run a viable business which you might not be able to do if the work you take on is overly bitty. Maybe just play it by ear each time, decide each case on it's merits??

Where do you store all your paperwork... Paperwork is currently stored in a couple of huge ringbinders, all over the kitchen table, on the arm of the sofa balanced on top my laptop, on my bedside table alongside my miners helmet ready for those middle-of-the-night bouts of inspiration, and anywhere in between. When I'm 'ready' and working, I'll store the sensitive stuff in a locked file box, and the rest on shelves in the cupboard which I'm currently lobbying the maintenance department to fit (H).

Attendance record... Have done own, seperate one for each child for each month, to be signed by parent and filed away in childs records at end of month. Have made something passable using word. I know lots of people use an 'official' attendance register from NCMA et al but not sure what the advantage of this would be, as to my naive eyes it seems to be a fairly simple document to produce and keep

I'm like you, I haven't started yet so have had a stab at your questions as best I can :laughing:

LauraS
07-06-2012, 12:02 AM

I have spreadsheets too - I work in a paperless office at the moment so to keep accounts on paper makes me shudder :laughing: