PDA

View Full Version : Payment in advance

notts
06-06-2012, 12:28 PM
I plan to do this be it a week or a month but I know not everyone does, interested to know who does and what you say if client says they can't pay in advance and also if you don't, why and have you been left owed money? :)

Pipsqueak
06-06-2012, 12:33 PM
If payment is not in advance then I will not agree to a contract.
I ask for a 2-4 week advance payment.

fluff1975
06-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I invoice parents on the last day of the month for the month in advance. If they aren't happy with this and it really causes a problem, well, there are plenty of other childminders in the area! Its something I won't budge on.

It has suited everyone fine and I usually get paid within 7 days of receipt of the invoice which is what I ask. That said, I have two parents who rely on their ex-husbands sending them money which doesn't always arrive on time. I make it clear that I need paying but don't hound them if it's not in my bank on a set day.

stargazer1
06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I charge weekly in advance, i.e payment is due at the beginning of the week. I put invoice in the diary of the mindee on their last day of the week with me, due to be paid the first day of the following week if that makes sense. Works well so far, I do not want to end up with people owing me money and it causing embarrassing situations. I am however having one parent persistently paying me by cheque which is a pain in the bottom. By the time Ive got to the bank and paid it in, it can sometimes be a week before Ive got it cleared.

sarahjane
06-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm strictly payment in advance here, preferably by the last working day of the month, but will accept 1st of the month. I am very strict about this as I have no other income and various large amounts such as rent leaving my account on the 1st.
No one has ever queried this.

coffee-time
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
I charge in advance too, I give out invoices around the 25th of the month for the next months payments, everyone so far has been happy with it, if I have any time off sick (only happened once so far) I just deduct from the following months bill! Hth.

funemnx
06-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I used to charge in arrears but got stung to the tune of several hundred £'s once so now charge in advance. One family said they couldn't pay in advance and I stupidly took them on which caused me nothing but grief for 3 years until I'd had enough and ended with them.

I usually send out the invoices a week before the end of the month which gives everyone time to organise payment for the 1st. If they're a few days late, I don't charge late fees but will remind them if a week late.

marnieb
06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
monthly in advance - only one parent said they couldnt so I asked when they got paid, they said the 19th of the month so I invoice them on the 20th for the following 4 weeks.

AliceK
06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm strictly payment in advance here, preferably by the last working day of the month, but will accept 1st of the month. I am very strict about this as I have no other income and various large amounts such as rent leaving my account on the 1st.
No one has ever queried this.

Same here.
I will never agree to anything other than in advance :thumbsup:

xxx

rickysmiths
06-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I have been childminding for 18 years and have always been paid in advance. if they won't pay in advance then I won't sign a contract, simple.

I have nearly always been full as well.

Tazmin68
06-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Like everyone does i am paid weekly or monthly in advance. 3 parents pay through bacs, 2 childcare vouchers. It is locals authority that i find a pain as i do 12 week respite care and do not get paid till week 6 or 7 and also currently looking after a child under 2 yr funding and have no idea when payment is madear

miffy
06-06-2012, 04:44 PM
I am also paid monthly in advance. I send out invoices in the middle of the month for payment by the first of the following month. All parents know this and it's rarely a problem.

Miffy xx

lulubelle
06-06-2012, 04:47 PM
i am paid in advance, parents that really cant afford to pay monthly in advance pay me weekly in advance!

caz3007
06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I get paid in advance, one pays monthly, one fortnightly and one a session at a time. But I dont have to ask any of them for payments, they are always there well in time.

It suits the parent to pay me sessionly, and its only 2 sessions a week. I dont ask for it, its handed to me as soon as they arrive. I have only ever done one person in arrears and thats because I knew them and they paid dead on time, in fact last month I did an ad hoc for her as he doesnt come anymore and it was done in arrears and on the day she promised she paid up.

LauraS
06-06-2012, 05:11 PM
If a parent tells you that they can't pay in advance, you have to consider what that says about the state of their finances and whether they are more likely to be unreliable payers. If they have no cushion, what will they do next time they have a big gas bill or something on the car breaks unexpectedly and it's a choice between paying you or the garage.

shona_rj
06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I get a deposit when they join. If you bill by the month then it should be an average month, then if they ever dont pay you can refuse to take the child.

Linda Mc
06-06-2012, 05:49 PM
I only started childminding last September & hate the money side of the buisness. At the start I was a bit of a soft touch, still am if I'm honest much to my OH dismay! :blush:

I am getting a little tougher after being let down by so called 'friends'.

Both of the ladies I've known for over 4 years, our children have gone through pre school/infant school together.

One asked me as soon as I registered if I could collect her little girl from school two afternoons a week & look after her until 4.30pm one day & 5.30pm the other. She still used the afterschool club for the other days she worked & when they had a space available for one of my days she went with them because they're cheaper!

She now only uses me once a week, her late night at work because the afterschool club closes at 5pm. She never pays if DD is off ill or on holiday - something that was in the contract! It drives my OH mad because I'm such a coward but we've known each other for such a long time & our girls play together I hate to mention it!

The other one had to leave suddenly & because she never paid in advance she owed me a months money for ages. I kept seeing her at school & she kept saying sorry we're having a few problems at home (Her OH is self employed & chasing money himself) She did pay in the end.

They say you live & learn which is true. The whole experience has made me realise if your friends can do that to you what would stranges do!

I've recently took on two new children & felt no qualms about asking their parents for payment in advance. To be honest if they've used childminders before they know it's standard practise. :thumbsup:

Kimmy050983
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
I have always charged weekly in advance. I just find it the safer option..
No parent has ever had a problem with it.:)

nokidshere
06-06-2012, 09:27 PM
I used to let parents pay 4 weekly in advance on their payday but it got so I had so many payments on different days coming in that I changed to monthly in advance.

In Sept 2010 I sent out a note saying that they were being charged an annual fee split equally over 12 payments due on the first of each month. Life is now bliss and none of my parents batted an eyelid. Any new contracts are signed on that basis or not at all.

missymood
06-06-2012, 10:14 PM
2 weeks deposit and monthly in advance for me. All pay on time:thumbsup:

Don't get stung like some of my friends have and are:angry:

JCrakers
07-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Definitely payment in advance. Parents can choose monthly or weekly and what date to pay on. Most of them have chosen the 1st of every month.
Two parents pay by standing order every monday

I've never had a non payer and everyone pays on time (give or take a few days, mainly due to vouchers going into bank)

If they cant pay in advance then I don't take them on.....because if they cant afford the first week or months pay how are they going to afford to pay it at a later point?

WFeather
07-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Morning, yes I have always informed parents that payment is in advance as good business practice. Being self-employed and having to pay for equipment, resources and outings does require a reasonable outlay which the parents usually understand and happily agree to paying for so that their child has a varied experience. Although outings, toddler groups/pre-schools were charged for as and when and extra to fees, I don't think I ever had a parent who quibbled at cost.

However I have had late payments and been left with fees owing (which is the main reason for advance fees). You have to remind yourself and the parents, you are a business and sometimes this is difficult for ourselves. people who care as a profession, and quite easily pay for 'this and that' without asking for extra and then at the end of the year wonder why we haven't made any profit to plough back into the business for new equipment etc.

BuggsieMoo
07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Quite interested in this as at present I charge weekly/monthly in arrears. I am planning to charge weekly (if paying weekly) or 2 weekly (of paying monthly) or monthly (if paying monthly) - undecided re the monthly one when I move.

How do you word it in your paperwork
How do you word it to parents.

I obviously would take sickness,my holiday etc off the next months invoice (so carry credits forward to the next month iyswim) but I dread the conversation with parents.

Im also looking to phase out cheques (Im sure nearly everyone, if not everyone has internet banking) and im more than happy to take cash and pay it in. Cheques take so long to clear. If I keep them, I want them earlier iyswim so it clears by the due date.

How do I word it all -any help appreciated xx

Chatterbox Childcare
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Mine are a month in advance. I split the years cost over 12 months and parents have a standing order which comes in by bacs or vouchers

BuggsieMoo
07-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Mine are a month in advance. I split the years cost over 12 months and parents have a standing order which comes in by bacs or vouchers

Oh I like this idea. What do you do though if they go over their hours. For instance I have one parent who sometimes has to leave LO here for an additional 4 hours.

notts
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone, payment in advance it is :)

jane5
07-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I get paid monthly in advance and also take a 4 week deposit.

I have only ever had 1 parent say she could not afford this as she was on tax credits so I agreed for her to pay weekly in advance but she paid her 4 week deposit in instalments.

She gave up her job suddenly and had forgotten that she had paid her deposit in instalments and also a week in advance :panic: and I got a very apologetic text off her explaining that she is not working and can not afford to give me anymore money ect.... she actually thought she owed me a weeks money which was nearly £200 and nearly £800 notice period fees :eek::clapping::laughing:

I was so glad I read posts on this forum and charged a deposit and a month in advance or I would have been chasing her for lots of money and in September her child will be starting school in the same class as my dd :o that would have been awkward :blush:

nokidshere
08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Oh I like this idea. What do you do though if they go over their hours. For instance I have one parent who sometimes has to leave LO here for an additional 4 hours.

Any extra hours are paid for in cash at the time of use.