PDA

View Full Version : Mindee arrives eating chocolate buttons for breakfast!

stargazer1
06-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Well I nearly had out and out war here this morning. DD home on half term, 21 month old DS, mindee age 3 all eating breakfast and other mindee arrives at 8.15am with a bag of chocolate buttons in her hand for breaskfast as mum "hadnt had time to prepare her anything". Other three were sat at the kitchen table eating weetabix and banana - all of a sudden Ive got three small people shouting at me that they dont want weetabix they want chocolate buttons! Wish some parents would think before they do things! A - chocolate buttons for breakfast - really??? and B - if you have to give chocolate buttons for breakfast, please dont send them in eating them!!! :eek:

rickysmiths
06-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Well I'm afraid the buttons wouldn't have got through my door. I always do this when mindees arrive munching.

I can't abide children eating on the hoof. I hate seeing children walking about munching when we are in town.

The packet would have been taken from mindee and given to the parent to take away with them. I would have said that I was doing breakfast for everyone else and chocolate buttons were not on the menu.

stargazer1
06-06-2012, 09:23 AM
On hindsight I really should have said something and taken them away but I was so taken aback at the time I didn't. Think I will mention to Mum later or put a note in daily diary saying I am happy to provide breakfast (Mum said LO does not need breaksfast with me) for no extra cost, but would rather she did not send LO in with sweets for breakfast.

rickysmiths
06-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I provide all meals in my fees but I won't do breakfast for anyone who arrives after 8am because it interferes with the school runs if I am doing them. I also think that parents should be able to organise breakfast themselves if they are dropping at 8am or later.

jaytravis
06-06-2012, 09:36 AM
my 4yr mindee has come with a 4ft wooden sword but mum says its ok he will share so everyone can play, errr i dont thinkso he can talk about it at circle time but not playing.

rickysmiths
06-06-2012, 09:39 AM
my 4yr mindee has come with a 4ft wooden sword but mum says its ok he will share so everyone can play, errr i dont thinkso he can talk about it at circle time but not playing.

Again this would have been given to mum to take away if it was me :blush:

stargazer1
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I agree entirely. Mindee is normally here before 8am but mum was late this morning. We were running a bit behind normal schedule too as no school runs this week so we weren't rushing. Just gets my goat a bit as this particular mindee comes in every day looking as tho shes just been dragged out of bed, dried snot up her face, crusty eyes, dirty face as shes just been eating chocolate buscuits in the car on the way and so on. The last couple of weeks shes had a bit of a runny tummy - not proper diarrhoea, just very soft and its leaked out the side of her nappy just before she has been going home. There wasnt a spare vest in her bag and it had gone on the edge of her vest so as she was just about to leave I mentioned to mum that she had caught the edge of her vest with poo, Id wiped it off but it had left a mark, mum might want to get it straight in machine when she gets home etc. Mindee arrives the next morning with the same vest on! (Still dirty!) Off it came, in the machine, in the tumble dryer and back on. I told mum it had happened again so I washed it. I cant understand why some people take no pride in their children and want to keep them clean and healthy.

stargazer1
06-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Oh goodness. I really wonder where some peoples heads are sometimes. Someone bought my little boy a toy machine gun for his birthday. Its tucked away in the cupboard under the stairs. Hate any sort of toys like this!!

LChurch
06-06-2012, 10:29 AM
It is so hard isn't it. One of my mindees often only has mashed potato for lunch, I know it is not the same as choc buttons but come on, where is the veg etc?!! The other one on the other hand comes with some lovely things like home cooked ham or fish cakes, fish pie etc. She likes me to try it too! sometimes it is the only way to get her to eat mind you so I don't mind if she wants me to try it !!

eddie
06-06-2012, 10:49 AM
I also hate this and do confiscate things on entry. I never allow them past the front door eating, all our snacks are eaten sitting down cos can't abide walking round with food and drinks :angry:

As for breakfast, I had one arrive at 10 o'clock one day due to the holidays and mom wasn't at work and the rating shot was 'oh she hasn't had breakfast cos I didn't have time'!

Bridey
06-06-2012, 01:59 PM

I wouldn't care if mum said it was ok or not - in MY house its MY rules! ;)

rickysmiths
06-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I also hate this and do confiscate things on entry. I never allow them past the front door eating, all our snacks are eaten sitting down cos can't abide walking round with food and drinks :angry:

As for breakfast, I had one arrive at 10 o'clock one day due to the holidays and mom wasn't at work and the rating shot was 'oh she hasn't had breakfast cos I didn't have time'!

Well I would have just said 'oh that's a shame they will have to wait for lunch now breakfasts finish at 8am in this house!' What a cheek some parents have do they think we have a running buffet going all day? :angry: Lazy whatsits.

stargazer1
06-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Well I would have just said 'oh that's a shame they will have to wait for lunch now breakfasts finish at 8am in this house!' What a cheek some parents have do they think we have a running buffet going all day? :angry: Lazy whatsits.

Like some sort of all inclusive very cheap holiday camp! ha. I must admit I do wonder at times :laughing:

eddie
06-06-2012, 04:34 PM

She didn't get breakfast, I just said well you missed breakfast but are just in time for snack! Got a funny look but didn't feel bad after all mom was on a day off anyway. And yes some parents think we are running some cheap holiday camp!!

miffy
06-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Well I'm afraid the buttons wouldn't have got through my door. I always do this when mindees arrive munching.

I can't abide children eating on the hoof. I hate seeing children walking about munching when we are in town.

The packet would have been taken from mindee and given to the parent to take away with them. I would have said that I was doing breakfast for everyone else and chocolate buttons were not on the menu.

I would have done exactly the same

Miffy xx

Ali56
06-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Me too! Yuck! :panic:

Ali56
06-06-2012, 09:08 PM

I used to have a mindee that came every morning, without fail, with some sort of weapon in his hand-once or twice an adult size light sabre:panic:, regardless of me telling mum countless times that we don't have those sorts of 'toys' in my setting. Gave up. As soon as I shut the door on mum 'toy' was removed from child and given back at home time! he learn't not to bother complaining!:D:thumbsup:

cas2805
06-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I had one of these a few months ago, came in at 7.30 eating fruit pastels (age 2) Then a week later arrived at 9am eating a lolipop!

Apparently, i am telling his parents that they are bad parents by saying no to these foods. Also I suggested that he wasn't given sweets in the back of the car (because of choking)

Funny but had a row with Dad on the phone where he really had a go at me and they instantly changed their times for collection and Dad hasn't been to my house since, though mindee always greets mum with "Sweeties?"

sillysausage
07-06-2012, 01:06 PM
My 4 yr old mindee was brought by Grandma last week at 8am eating a lollipop. I said nothing at the time but I mentioned it to dad at pick up and he was appalled. Next time Grandma came she apologised to me and said she knew he shouldn't have had it but he'd helped himself after he'd had his breakfast at hers. I bit my tongue and didn't say she should have taken it off him and told him it was bad manners to take things without asking.

karen m
07-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I have a lo who has arrived with chewing gum, a no no in my house cannot abide chewing gum in adults never mind children,told mum he was not allowed it in my home,i got tissue and asked him to put it in it he daid no and swollowed it ,mum thought it funny.Due to there moving towns he is in his notice period now can be lovely when in a happy mood but if mum has allowed late night he is a nightmare mum's answer well he will have it out his system before we get home

mushpea
07-06-2012, 02:51 PM
i used to have one arrive at 10am eating chewits, I told dad that as its the holidays he cant bring them as its not fair on the other children,, next day dad arrived with a packet for all the children, bless him, nice thought, but I dont need a house full of hyper children:laughing:
I had another always arrived eating a ceral bar and child was most miffed when I wouldnt let her walk around eating it.
another arrived with a lunch box with sausage roll, crips an smarties:eek: nothing healthy insight, she now has my lunches.
I am sure its just 'anything that keeps them queit' in the mornings to make parents lifes easier

Playmate
07-06-2012, 03:23 PM
In our info booklet we have a list of do's and don'ts which includes not arriving with sweets, food or toys from home. If they do insistant about a toy, it comes into my porch and goes into their cubby hole until home time. If rules get forgotten they are reminded every so often in a newsletter :D

Baildon bears
08-06-2012, 07:44 AM
I have had a few issues with mindee arriving with a 3DS and shes only 3 :eek:, I don't mind so much in hols but on a morning when I'm trying to get everyone ready for school and My DS is obsessed with anything computer related, I had world war 3 breaking out. After many chats with mum she eventually got the message, I think mindee hassled her to take it, so she gave in and made my life hell instead :rolleyes:

stargazer1
08-06-2012, 07:48 AM
I agree entirely that I think often it is anything for an easy life in the mornings. But considering a lot of the time mindees spend more time with us than their own parents, I think parents should be more considerate of our rules and think before they cause a situation in our homes. Will definitely be putting my foot down next time! :)

Pipsqueak
08-06-2012, 08:22 AM
sibling mindees arrived this morning with lollipops in their mouths... not had breakfast because she 'couldn't get them to eat' and 3yr old found lollipops in the car on the floor.

Problem was he was running around with it with it in his mouth (that gives me the shudders) at the front of the house and mum 'couldn't take it away' (she is petrified of them crying)

JCrakers
08-06-2012, 09:29 AM
:rolleyes:

One of my bugbears is children arriving with toys that are just not suitable. Small toys with parts which if put down would get swallowed by my younger mindees.
Lego men and figures :angry:
I have a particular 3yr old who used to bring a small bag most mornings full of nicnacs,trinkets that I have to confiscate as the bits are all chokable sizes. I asked Mum not to bring it again and she didn't :D