PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of becoming a childminder

bethanmariex
06-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi all! I'm currently working as a nursery nurse in a nursery 20 miles or so away from my house.. I'm doing 10 hour shifts(which results in me having a day off a week). I've been working there a year now and as much as I love it, I'm starting to get tired of the travelling! My partner and I have decided to try for a baby, in which I feel it would benefit me being a childminder when we eventually have a child.. I've recently completed my Cache Diploma Level 3, my food hygiene level 2 and first aid peadeatric course.. I've been reading up on what to do but everyone has different views.. But I'm just wondering if I have to do any other qualification on top of my Cache Diploma?
Thanks,
Beth :)

sprinkles
06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm in the process just now and I don't have any childcare related qualifications. First aid is mandatory though and I will be doing my hnc in childcare part time. I'll also have done child protection course etc before I start. Not sure if it's different outside Scotland though.

bethanmariex
06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
thank you :) its so confusing! I'm in Wales, it says on my local council website I have to pay to do a CYPOP5 course but says nothing on if you have any childcare qualifications before hand! I'm going to do some researching and then get in touch with them, I've been thinking about it for a while and so excited with the thought :D

Pauline
06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
thank you :) its so confusing! I'm in Wales, it says on my local council website I have to pay to do a CYPOP5 course but says nothing on if you have any childcare qualifications before hand! I'm going to do some researching and then get in touch with them, I've been thinking about it for a while and so excited with the thought :D

Hi

We have a special section for Welsh members to discuss CSSIW http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102 you might find some helpful info in there or ask any questions and our lovely Welsh members will help you :thumbsup: