PDA

View Full Version : Feeling overwhelmed again!

caza
06-06-2008, 10:08 AM
At my briefing session the other day we were given about 4 booklets on the National Standards to read through before Ofsted come out to us which seemed bad enough. They also gave us a number to ring to order the EYFS booklet which I recieved today and there is much more to read than I thought there would be so now I've got myself in a panic again.

The said at the briefing session that basically we only need to learn the National Standards stuff for when Ofsted come out to inspect the house but that by the time we actually start minding that wont really matter anymore because it will be EYFS stuff that counts :panic:

How much do we actually need to know about EYFS by September? Are we just meant to have basic understanding or know it all of by heart? Is there going to be training? I dont mind sitting and reading all this stuff I'm just not convinced I'm going to remember it all afterwards :eek:

katickles
06-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi Caroline

Yeah until september ofsted will require yu to have knowledge & understanding about thye 14 national standards, so your pre-reg inspection will be based on this.

After September when ofsted do your first graded inspection - it will be based on EYFS.

Its not deemed as compulserey at the mo but good practice for childminders to go on the EYFS training. Your local CIS will be able to give you details of training near you.

I think Sarah Nev is really really clued up when it comes to EYFS (Don't mean to offend any of the others by saying this - i'm sure your all great:panic: )
so maybe she'll be along later & will help you out.

:)

sarah707
06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
The way to look at eyfs is a bit like a training manual...

Read through each bit and ask yourself how you are meeting the standards and what you can do to improve your practice.

Then you need to think about proving how you meet the standards to an Ofsted inspector... what practices or paperwork you have in place to meet all the requirements...

Sometimes it's as simple as showing the inspector how you work, other times you might need a policy to cover the information, or a procedure or some letters to parents or other paperwork.

If you work through it like that, it suddenly becomes less scary and more do-able because you will see just how much you are already achieving...

Don't get too hung up with the 14 standards, just know them - they are all contained within eyfs anyway, just written up slightly differently.

Hope this helps :D

caza
06-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks Sarah. To be fair the pack does look very good. It all comes on cd rom as well asthe booklet and also there are 24 cards which seem to break down all the info in the book. I'm sure once I start reading through it it wont seem too bad :rolleyes: Its just the though of reading through all the national standards stuff just for the pre reg inspection then having to put all that aside and learn something new :panic:

sarah707
06-06-2008, 02:11 PM
You're welcome - shout if there's anything else that worries you!

Like I say, nearly all of the National Standards stuff is there in eyfs anyway, so it's not a waste of time

Another good way of getting your head round the National Standards is to read people's reports on the Ofsted site... it will give you a good idea of what Ofsted will ask and look for.

Happy reading :D

caza
06-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks never really thought about that. Will have a read through a few;)