PDA

View Full Version : Start Up Costs

Pedagog
06-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi all as I am about to start on the road of becoming a registered Childminder, I am trying to budget for likely start up costs.

Can anyone give me an idea of the approximate cost of starting out as a Childminder. I know that this will vary as some people may already have equipment from their own children, but I am interested in the official costs for things like training, compulsory equipment, registration etc.

Thank is advance

caza
06-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi :) I went on my briefing session the other day and was told that we are entitled to a grant which will cover the cost of First Aid course, E learning course for The awareness of child abuse and neglect, Registration fee, 1st years public liability insurance and NCMA start up pack which I though was fantastic and made the start up cost a lot less than I thought it would be.

However, from what I gather what you are entitled to can vary throughout the country so I dont know it will be the same for you. We were also told we could apply for a further grant for any additional equipment we might need before starting.

Straws
06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Start up costs spiralled out of control for me my budget went out of the window, I would estimate you need to put aside around £1,000. my local authority did not have a start up grant. when i first added up my start up costs this was around 890 quid and i had alot of stuff given me so god knows how much it would have cost without the freebies

Straws xx

FizzysFriends
06-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Im planning on only using the start up grant and nothing more, we have to get insurance and NCMA membership with the grant but all training is free.

Im sure if you just start with a small amount you can build your collection as you go along.

katickles
06-06-2008, 07:19 PM
These things do vary massivly in different counties.

For example, I was entitiled to claim back my grant. That was £250, but this had to be used for my ofsted registration fee (which was £14ish), my doctors medical papers UPTO the value of £20 & then a choice of NCMA start up pack or Morton Michell & i can't remember the other thing now:eek:

Anyway, my friend who lives just a 5 minuite drive away, but a different county her grant was about £450 & she could use this for anything!

The ICP course was free but i had to do my first aid, which now i've written that i remember that was part of my grant. They also recommended that we do the food hygine course, then there are various others that you can choose to do all of which you can put through your expenses.

If you don't have any equipment then there are the basics that you will need to supply, yu don't need everything to start with. Many minders do a wish list that ofsted are more than happy with for the things that they are planning on supplying.

Its also worth remembering that the equipment doesn't all have to be brand new - so it will vary what you will need to pay for it.

HTH :)

Pedagog
09-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone.

I am aware of the start up grants not sure how much ours is in the Wakefield Area.

Its the registration type costs, that I am interested in and any of the compulsory costs.

I have my First Aid, Food Safety, and various other qualifications such as Health and Safety.

angeldelight
09-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Just wanted to say good luck to you

Angel xx

Pedagog
10-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Angel Thanks

FizzysFriends
10-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Registration is £18

Pedagog
10-06-2008, 10:24 AM