PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a back-up childminder ?

Starfish007
03-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Hi all, I have my husband as my emergency contact but is it an Ofsted requirement to have another childminder as back-up? Not sure if I read this somewhere or dreamt it! x

moggy
03-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi all, I have my husband as my emergency contact but is it an Ofsted requirement to have another childminder as back-up? Not sure if I read this somewhere or dreamt it! x

You need to think about what you would do if your house caught fire, flooded, gas leak and you needed to get the children to somewhere safe away from your house. Do you have a trusted neighbour, near by child minder etc?

Starfish007
03-06-2012, 05:02 PM
There is a new local childminder who asked me if I would be her emergency contact which got me thinking, should I have her as mine? Think it would be a good idea to have someone local I could use x

blue bear
03-06-2012, 05:47 PM
It doesn't have to be a childminder but should be someone who can offer you appropriate advice and support in an emergency, a childminder is the ideal person for this as they will know all the rules.

sarah707
03-06-2012, 05:59 PM
It is not an Ofsted requirement - and it is not an EYFS requirement.

However it is very good practice to think through, as part of your emergency planning, who could come in case you were incapacitated.

It would need to be someone very local to you... and it is sometimes better to have 2 in case 1 is on holiday / out etc.

Hth :D

Starfish007
03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys, knew I would get the answer I needed on here x

Beetlejuice
03-06-2012, 06:46 PM
We have a local CM association and we usually buddy up with one minder who lives relatively close in case of emergency. I also have a back-up, back up in case of an emergency where the whole estate would be evacuated as my first back up lives on the same estate as me! It works really well - especially when I had a suspected gas leak a couple of weeks ago and I was able to ship mindee off to the back up whilst I dealt with engineers.