PDA

View Full Version : 5 1/2 year old?

lucyD
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Just had an enquiry for a 5 1/2 year old, all I know is the days will vary. Obviously he wont come into my numbers so thats great but trying to think ahead for charges. How many hours is 5 1/2 year old at school? trying to work out how many hrs she may want per day... I have no idea as I concentrate on littlies. Should I have a minimum fee so its worth my while? Do you add extra if you have to pick them up,or just charge per hour? don't want to frighten her off as would like this contract.

Also can I ask of your experiences, my son is 18 mths & gets on well with those of his own ages but wonder how he will get on with a boy of 51/2?

LittleLegsCM
02-06-2012, 10:13 PM
By 5 & a 1/2 they would be doing full days at school (9-3) so she'll possibly only want an hour or 2 either side of school (although I could be wrong)

What you charge is entirely up to you but if the school isn't within walking distance or puts you out in any way, you could increase your fees to reflect that.

In regards to age, my son is 20 months old and is absolutely fascinated & besotted with my 6yo after schoolie! He absolutely loves playing with him. Unfortunately though, the 6yo isn't used to babies/toddlers and doesn't know how to react to them so half the time he just sits there staring when my LO tries talking to him (in toddler talk obviously) or he will try to avoid interacting with him whenever he can (it's difficult just to get him to say hello to the LOs when I pick him up from school!) hopefully your one will be a little bit more forthcoming!

Good luck x

lucyD
02-06-2012, 10:47 PM
By 5 & a 1/2 they would be doing full days at school (9-3) so she'll possibly only want an hour or 2 either side of school (although I could be wrong)

What you charge is entirely up to you but if the school isn't within walking distance or puts you out in any way, you could increase your fees to reflect that.

In regards to age, my son is 20 months old and is absolutely fascinated & besotted with my 6yo after schoolie! He absolutely loves playing with him. Unfortunately though, the 6yo isn't used to babies/toddlers and doesn't know how to react to them so half the time he just sits there staring when my LO tries talking to him (in toddler talk obviously) or he will try to avoid interacting with him whenever he can (it's difficult just to get him to say hello to the LOs when I pick him up from school!) hopefully your one will be a little bit more forthcoming!

Good luck x

Thank you so much. Thats very helpful!

She is calling me first thing tomorrow as she is very keen as can't find a local childminder with any spaces. There aren't many around so I am in a good position I think but want to be fair with fee's...I was thinking of asking for a minimum of 2 hr fee then charge extra for picking up as it involves a car journey & faff with my LO & potentially other mindee. so would you say £10 would be fair amount? (£3.75 x2 + £2.50) for pick up/petrol? She also wants me for school hols 8-3!! YAY!!

Helen Dempster
02-06-2012, 10:48 PM
To be honest, I think it depends on the child/ren. My DS is 5 and a half, and he loves all the littlies, he'll play with them, help them with their coats, etc - but then he's used to having them in our home.

As littlelegs says - the mindee you had an enquiry for will be in full-time school from 9.15am-3.15pm (approx) and as for charges, that's entirely up to you :thumbsup:

Good luck!

pinkrabbit
03-06-2012, 07:54 AM
I have two boys 9 and 11. I have minded both of them since they were 6 months old. My littlies love them and both boys are brilliant with them. Parents of the littlies comment on how good the boys are with their kids. I do find school holidays challenging because the older kids want to get out and do things which is not always easy to do with 3 under fives as well.