PDA

View Full Version : swimming for an over 8yr old

janminder
02-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Just wondering what/if there are any rules regarding swimming for over 8's. I look after a 9yr old and 14yr old (different families) every other weekend they go swimming together. As it is not possible this weekend parent of 9yr old has asked if the 14yr old can take her Wednesday as its half term. Do I have to go in the water with them or can I be watching from the cafe area above, luckily I have no other children that day. Parent doesnt mind them going on their own and I stay at home but even with written permission I wouldnt be comfortable with that.

TooEarlyForGin?
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
During the school holidays I have a 12 year old boy. We regularly go swimming. When he was 10 the parents signed to say they were happy for him to swim in the large pool, with lifeguards on duty (I was in the baby pool with the younger children) with my 13 year old daughter. I was still in the pool area so kept an eye out.

I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing him to be in the pool without me near, I think 8 is still young, here 8 is just the cut off age that they are not counted in my numbers.

blue bear
02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I think at eight and you can still see him and lifeguards are in duty it would be reasonable to let him go in with the friend and you in the cafe.
Surely this is a normal thing to do with a child of this age to develop his self confidence and self care/safety skills.
Maybe you should check with your insurer though to be on the safe side.

nikki thomson
02-06-2012, 08:13 PM
In our local pool they don't need adult supervision from age 8 so theoretically speaking he could leave your house walk there go swimming and come back, whether you or parents would be happy with that is up to the two of you. X

Baildon bears
03-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Having an 8 year old son who is quite a good swimmer, I still would not feel happy letting him go in alone:blush:, I probably air on the side of caution. He's off to a swimming party next weekend and i'm panicking about that :o

bezi123
03-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm a swimming teacher and I would say it depends how well the 8 yr old can swim and weather he will be out of his depth, If he can easily swim a length of the pool he'll be in then I'd say he'll be fine aslong as there are lifeguards on duty. Saying that even good swimmers can 'forget' to swim when they are just there to play and have fun. I give children in my swimming lessons 5 minutes playtime at the end of my lessons and everything they learn in there lessons seems to go out of the window, I quite often have to help them when there in the deep end even though they can swim lengths buetifully!

janminder
04-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks for replies.

I have decided to say yes, the 14yr old is a good swimmer who belongs to a squad and goes into galas and there is a lifeguard too and the 9yr old can swim.