PDA

View Full Version : No after schoolies

LittleLegsCM
01-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Does anyone here cope ok, income wise, WITHOUT having schoolies??

After the third item being broke in about 2 weeks, I'm really starting to dislike having them (which I know sounds awful) and the backchat I get considering their only 6&9yo's is just, well, disgusting really!

Katiekoo
01-06-2012, 04:11 PM
I choose not to have after schoolies, as a rule I don't care for children older than my nearly 4 yr old dd. I once looked after an older child and it was ok, I just prefer the little ones and have very limited experience of older children.
Money wise I cope, my dh works and my income is needed but I don't need to run flat out. I consider myself 'full' with two full time under threes. I work 42 hours a week and cover my bills etc. I'm not going to set the world on fire but I manage nicely. hth
:thumbsup:

LittleLegsCM
01-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks hun, I think I'm definitely going to consider it by July (so that then gives the parents the whole 6 weeks hols to find childcare.) My problem is one of my before/ after schoolies also has a younger brother that I have as well so will lose both (which to be completely honest i wouldn't be shedding tears over as they are both my only 'problem' children!)
I have a parent meeting next Wednesday for a full time 7month old (excited!) so fingers crossed that goes well and then the decision will be a lot easier to make!!

sarahjane
01-06-2012, 04:35 PM
I initially started off with no after schools and 3 full EY places, I now have 1 regular before and after schoolie who I have had since she was 9 months and have taken on temporarily a family of 4 after school 2 days a week purely because I have a full time vacancy at present and need the extra income. I did tell mum that if I filled my full time place then I would no longer be able to care for her children due to spaces in the car (village school 4 miles away) and she was happy with this at the time.

So in answer to your question, yes I can get by without the after schools if I'm full during the day - I am a single mum though and get tax credits to help me out. :)

butterfly
01-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I will have no after schoolies after july and can't wait! i will easily cope money wise as my 3 under 5 spaces are full.

teacake2
01-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't have any, really dislike the disruption and I will not do the school run anymore after 15 yrs doing it.
Teacake2

cabby
01-06-2012, 06:40 PM
i gave notice on my schoolies and did my last collection on wednesday.....i cant believe how stress free today has been :thumbsup:

caz3007
01-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I had after schoolies for 5 years and gradually they all left cos of age, redundancy etc. Its been since xmas and its lovely. I manage to pay my bills as not full, and have a bit left over for treats, hubbies wages pay the bills and mortgage, so we cope just fine

mushpea
01-06-2012, 07:32 PM
as long as my partner is in work (hes a self emplyoed carpenter) then we can manage as long as my under 5's are full. I had 4 schoolies last year plus my own 2 and my littles and it was manic but fun,, I loved the busy times but now I only have one schoolie 2 days a week plus my littlies and its lovley too, I miss the money in the way that I cant pay for as many treats for my children but then I dont miss it as althought we dont have as much money I can give my two more time and I have noticed my sons beahviour is much better now there are less children , I would love to say I woldnt take on anymore schoolies but dont know If i would be strong enough to say no if somone asked! especialy as by the 6 weeks hols I will be down to one child twice a week:eek:

I have to say though its a lot less stressful not having a school child lying to mum and trying to get me into trouble and another who would wind my son so I would much perfer to stick to the younger age group

loocyloo
01-06-2012, 08:00 PM
LOL!

i'm just about about to go back to having schoolies after a year without! 2 children, 3 days a week afterschool. no tea, just a snack and usually collected early too! ;)

Lems
01-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I prefer not to have schoolies atm, as I'm busy enough gettin my own lo's to school (4,6,7,10yrs) and they have evening clubs (oh works shifts so not always here of an evening). My latest mindee leaves at 4pm or earlier, dont get me wrong the extra money would be fantastic but we do cope, and I feel the financial benefit is not worth the extra stress at this moment in time:blush:

samb
01-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I only have 1 school age child - he comes school holidays only 2 days a week and I take 4 weeks of that off - so yes as long as I have enough EY children I can do just fine. :thumbsup:

nokidshere
02-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I only have after schoolies - love it because then I dont have to work during the days normally (at the moment I have one 2 yr old) once he is in school I will be back to having my days free and working just 2.5 hours a day with the schoolies!

Much as I love the 2 year old I cant wait LOL

PixiePetal
02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I haven't had schoolies since my own children left primary school. I had some lovely ones but even so, I don't miss the school run in the rain!

Bridey
02-06-2012, 09:16 PM
All 15 of mine are after schoolies and I love them! They are such good fun and a really super bunch.

I work from 7-9 and 3-6, earn the same as if I had 3 full time little ones and the rest of the day is mine! Oh, and I don't do school holidays :thumbsup:

sarahjane
02-06-2012, 09:19 PM
I only have after schoolies - love it because then I dont have to work during the days normally (at the moment I have one 2 yr old) once he is in school I will be back to having my days free and working just 2.5 hours a day with the schoolies!

Much as I love the 2 year old I cant wait LOL

Do you have them in the holidays though, luckily my after schoolies are term time only, not sure I'd want them all in the holidays!
:rolleyes:

Helen Dempster
02-06-2012, 10:53 PM
I have 2 after schoolies (siblings) and it's such a pain - tho' I do it as my own DS is in the same class as one of them, so I've got to do school runs anyway, and it's just a bit of extra money coming in. But I do get fed up of constantly reminding them on their manners, back chat, breaking things, fighting etc (ones 6 and ones 10). I also have a long wait in the car from when my ds and 6yo come out until 10yo comes out - tho' all at same school, older boy doesn't come out til about 40mins later. There's not time to go anywhere, either back home or anywhere in the vicinity. I'd love not to have after schoolies.

Toothfairy
03-06-2012, 08:38 AM
I have 2 after schoolies (one also comes before school too). I only do them because I think, "Im going to the school for my own DD anyway, I may as well just do these two".
But when she leaves for secondary school in a years time, I will be giving them up (if I'm still CMing that is).

They are alot of hassle for very little money.

Joda
03-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I only look after little ones - I've had a couple of before/after schoolies but my own children don't really like having older kids in the house and I just find them really hard work tbh.

appleblossom
03-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I've had no schoolies for just over a year. I have 3 under fives. My own DS is 15 and leaves school this month. I love not having school runs. In fact one of my LOs came to me specifically because I didn't do school runs. His previous CM did 3 school runs each day and there was no time for him to have a proper nap so was always tired and grouchy for Mum after she picked him up.

I wouldn't voluntarily take on schoolies now. I'm a widow and cope financially due to my widowed parent's allowance and tax credits. I think once I no longer get the WPA when DS leaves full time education I may look at doing something different in any case.

In September I have one LO who starts her 15 hours pre-school, so will be doing school runs again. I'm not thrilled about it but will at least see her into full time school. Mum is very careful financially and I suspect she will use the out of school club once she is there full time as it is cheaper.

VINASOL
03-06-2012, 12:13 PM
From September I will no longer have before and after schoolies. Just my own 2 kids and three little mindees (all under 3). And I cannot wait....it will feel like Heaven :O)

babs
03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
i didnt take schoolers but i now have one that has been with me for 2 yrs and i have her little brother and another one will start school full time september so makes 2 ...

Beetlejuice
03-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I have my own children (5 and 8 yrs old) and I have one after schoolie at the moment. She's in Yr 6 and an absolute delight but once she leaves at the end of the school year I won't be having any more. I've had them before and I found it a total pita. I have enough work with the under 5's and tbh I know that I prefer the under 5s.

Dragonfly
04-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Have always done the after schoolies because they usually started with me as little people.Things have changed in this area a lot over the years.At one time you had 3 under 5's that stayed with you till school then you got the next lot of youngsters.now there isn't any/very few full timers. I have 12 on my books all part timers which isn't very good and that includes after school ones which yes i would prefer not to do but it's part of the course, most of the children are lovely though.

nokidshere
04-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Do you have them in the holidays though, luckily my after schoolies are term time only, not sure I'd want them all in the holidays!
:rolleyes:

I do the odd day here and there but not generally no :thumbsup: I have two boys on Wednesday, but they are 13 and 15 and need no "looking after" really, they just "hang out" at mine and I get paid :D

fluff1975
04-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Does anyone here cope ok, income wise, WITHOUT having schoolies??

After the third item being broke in about 2 weeks, I'm really starting to dislike having them (which I know sounds awful) and the backchat I get considering their only 6&9yo's is just, well, disgusting really!

I guess that depends on how much money you want to have!

We manage (just) with me having full timers monday to thursday, and one before and after school mindee. Money is very tight and there is no doubt at all that we'd be much, much better off if I had more before and after school mindees but I just don't want them!! My own children would hate it and I just won't put them through that. They're 7 & 5. I'm not ruling it out for the future, just not now!

ziggy
05-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I enjoy having the schoolies and they were all mindees from before school

Problem i have is school ends at 2pm and collecting them is difficult as little mindees are sleeping at this time. Plus, dont think financially its really worth it.

I will only have one in September (and he only comes for an hour). Havent told his mum yet but i will only take him if she can arrange for someone to bring him to me.

shelly2012
05-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I've got my cousin's boy after school on mon & tues, oh my word how he is hard work and I've only got him for about an hour. His head is never out of the fridge and concentrate on 1 thing at a time.

I love not having after school the rest of week so quiet and most days finished for 4 :clapping::jump for joy:

But never say never (just not at the moment) x

The Juggler
06-06-2012, 10:15 PM
i have 2 for brekkie and walk them home, but they go home 10 mins after we get in. I lost all my others naturally and would NOT go back to it.

I have 3 or 4 under 5's each day plus the little hour before/after school. If I was struggling for daytimers I might go back to it but otherwise - no :panic:

missymood
06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
I have 2 after schooled and they are a pain. Considering giving notice but don't know how to word it:D