PDA

View Full Version : Nice Stair Gates

angeldelight
05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
My gates are horrible white things and I hate them

I am after some new ones

I was looking at the ones that retract like a roller blind when the kids have gone home so the door way is clear when you retract them.

Do you know what I mean?

Next sell them but they are fairly expenive and I need 3 so just wondered if anyone else had one if so how much and where from

Also do you know if they are any good ?

Angel xx

carolinel
05-06-2008, 09:53 PM
sorry Angel have never used these, but would be interested to know as well as i need to get a new one for new starter in September.

angeldelight
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
They are a bit like this one

But do they only do white and can you wash them ? If so How ?

http://www.johnlewis.com/230130957/Product.aspx

Angel xx

charleyfarley
05-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I need one of those, stairs to attic bedroom to narrow for normal ones.

There is a website but can't think of the name at the moment, might be kiddecare, something like that anyway.

Carol xx

angeldelight
05-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes Carol just found them on there they are £10 cheaper than John Lewis

Wonder if they are any good though ?

Angel xx

charleyfarley
05-06-2008, 10:00 PM
My friendbought some stairgates from there and they are great.

Not the retractable ones though but they came the next day after ordering

She recommended them to me

Carol xx

carolinel
05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
here's a review i've just found on "pricecompare".

My son of 3 could open other stair gates and this one he so far has not
worked out! which is great as he keep leavin the old bar gate open all the
time and this one my baby cant hit he head on hard bars as it soft it
great the best gate I`ve ever owned! wish I got one sooner!

and u can use just the one gate and to look 1 door other top of stair
or the door next to the stair (my son`s room) just buy a more clip to
clip them on too and way u go 2 in 1 gate!!

chez1373
05-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Yes Carol just found them on there they are £10 cheaper than John Lewis

Wonder if they are any good though ?

Angel xx

Whats the website please?

angeldelight
05-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks Caroline they sound ok and look nice too

I like the thought of being able to retract them in the evenings without forgetting they are there and almost going head first over them ha

Angel xx

carolinel
05-06-2008, 10:03 PM
some more reviews - looks like a hit!!!

Kiddyguard Gate, 20/05/2008
Reviewer: Tina (Reading, Berkshire)
It is a brillant gate and more durable then i expected taking a lot of weight.. The only drawback is the noise if you have to open it fully it would wake a light sleeper!! But the top of the stairs we use it as the gap is too small for the traditional gates so well worth the money as can be left open during the day and shut at night when its used meaning the stairs stay safe. My little one cant work out how to use it so is brillant and stops him from climbing over or going underneath yea!!!

Kiddyguard Gate, 01/04/2008
Reviewer: Marian Scott (Crowthorne, Berkshire)
Great idea, pricey but effective gate and no swinging gates to trip over.
Only drawbacks, a bit fiddly to use, and NOISY.
We were going to use at top of the stairs so our older child wouldnt trip over a traditional stairgate - but he couldnt manage opening it, but when the fabric winds back it is a real loud ripping sound - would wake the baby whose just fallen asleep.
However, we use it to shut off our open plan kitchen area which was too wide for normal stairgates.

Kiddyguard Gate, 09/04/2007
Reviewer: Eryl (Bracknell, Berks)
We have a Kiddyguard Gate and I'd highly recommend it. It's great that most of the time we don't even know we have a stairgate - as its retracted and not in use. I would say though that I personally had trouble using it with one hand, as it needs quite a few dextrous fingers to unlock the lock mechanism whilst also pulling the blind out, but that wouldn't stop me reviewing it, I just always make sure I have two hands free :)

angeldelight
05-06-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.bizrate.co.uk/babymonitors_safetyproducts/products__keyword--kiddyguard+safety+gate.html

Blaze
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I have these...they're fab!:thumbsup:

They are only noisey when they're new...they wear in & the owner also gets the knack which makes a difference! I would recommend getting a handyman to put them up (fix them to the wall)..to make sure they stay put under pressure IYSWIM!:)

Lou
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Its funny this post being on tonight, a childminder in the village has given up and offered me her gate for £30 today so i snapped it up, its one of those kiddiguards.

Like a roller blind, ideal for me as my kids are older so i dont need it up all thetime.

I have it sat in hallway ready for hubby to put up!!!!
I think £30 was a bargain as i think they are £60 brand new, and this is in box with fittings etc.

Will let you know how it is when hubby has put it up!!!

carolinel
05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
wow, lucky you!!!

angeldelight
05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks Blaze I dont care about the noise

Are they easy to clean though ?

They look like they could get grubby with little hands what are they made off - is it a material ?

Angel xx

angeldelight
05-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Lucky Lou

Is it a washable material and do they only come in white ?

Angel xx

Blaze
05-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I've always just wiped mine down to deal with grubby finger marks, but never had to deal with a heavy duty stain.

Lou
05-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Lucky Lou

Is it a washable material and do they only come in white ?

Angel xx

Not sure, this one is white, but then when its open you wont see what colour it is.

I will check it all out when hubby puts up i will get back to you x

Blaze
05-06-2008, 10:15 PM
It's like a coated material..difficult to describe!

SimplyLucy
06-06-2008, 05:42 AM
I have the kiddiguard across the entrance to my kitchen, it's a kitchen diner so the stair gate is in a gap rather than a door way.

My dad (bless him) built a false wall to fix it on to next to my fridge and the other side fixes onto my kitchen cupboards.

I got mine from kiddicare was about £50. I've just looked it up and it's gone up to £60 now. :eek:

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_62_10751_-1_14054_3072_10001_14054

However it's worth every penny and people don't even know it's there when it's not in use.

I wanted the same ones for my stairs but I managed to get 2 lovely wooden gates (without trip bars) from freecycle :D

disney
06-06-2008, 07:44 AM
im sorry angel i know what type of gates you mean but i have never used one .im afraid i have the metal white tatty ones :blush: i dont to spend much money and i cant see the point . they do their job . they dont look that nice but my mindees ( just one swings on it ) also my dog scratches it .

hope you get what you need xx

foxy lady
06-06-2008, 07:53 AM
have a look on ebay
that were got mine from
i got 3 kiddicare ones for £90 bargin

mum2two
06-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I have one. It was on my kitchen, as when we had the door on, the gate had no where to open, so would have been a hazard sticking out somewhere.

There is a knack to opening them, which is easy enough - but the kids can't do it at all!! :thumbsup: The only time I hate this is if the oder ones are doing something crafty at the table, and I shut them there because of babies picking up little bits, then the older ones can't get out when they need the toilet, so you're forever up & down!

They withstand pressure excellent too. I've had both my kids (now 6 & nearly 3), leaning on it etc, and still going strong. It is a bit grubby, & not the easiest thing in the world to clean, but it is a really good gate.

We've taken it down at the mo, as we've now taken the door off, and have a normal stairgate, but will use it on the living room, once I get carpet. So the kids don't run straight in from the hall with their muddy shoes on :angry:!

Get one!

Kelly x

katickles
06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I've never even heard of these before - they seem great.

I can reccommend Kiddicare - i have bought a few things from them now & they always deliver really quickly & are well priced compaired to lots of the shops :)

DiverBabe
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I have a Kiddiguard in the lounge, we picked this one mainly because we were struggling to find a gate that would fit with the gap/shape of the bannister. Hubby fixed the roller onto the wall and it clips on very smoothly, I paid £65 for mine but worth every penny - well done if you can get it cheaper, what a bargain £30! :)

I find that because it retracts back when its not in use its not so impossing in the lounge like a normal gate and looks neat and tidy. I would recommend it to anyone

Xx

jmoff
06-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I have 2 and they are great.
I bought one form john lewis and the other one from ebay for £25.00 I think.

Jx

wendywu
06-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I use these i have replaced it once in the 10 years of minding. I got mine from John Lewis, cannot remember how much. I would not use any oyher type.

mrsb
06-06-2008, 07:49 PM
They are fantastic, I used to nanny for a family who used them and they were great :D

I couldn't justify the cost when I looked for gates myself though so I bought a nice bright pink travel gate fom mothercare so when it's not in use I take it down, fold it up and put it behind the sofa:D

Noodles
06-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I have these stair gates at top and bottom of stairs and they are fab. I like tham because when they are not in use they can be rolled away. Mine have been up about 3 years now and have never moved the fittings are very solid.
Regarding the noise issue this can be stopped if you hold on to the slide thingy whilst opening it iyswim.
I wouldnt be without mine id never go back to normal metal or wood stair gates:)

manjay
06-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Really interesting thread guys. Think I may look into these when my own ds no longer needs a gate

angeldelight
06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks everyone im going to def get these now

Angel xxx

berkschick
07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Really interesting thread guys. Think I may look into these when my own ds no longer needs a gate

Snap :thumbsup:

I dont mind them up at the moment as we need them for Ella.

Polly2
07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I also have one of these and they are fab - I had to have one on the stairs because there was no room for anything else.

They wipe down well - its like plastic covered material.

I got mine off e bay shop new.

miffy
08-06-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm really glad I live in a bungalow :laughing:

Sorry I know that was no help at all!

miffy xx

FizzysFriends
08-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Anyone had any experiance of these with dogs around? Thinking if the dog puts her paws on the top to look over, all her weight would be on it

Wendy Woo
08-06-2008, 07:45 AM
I have the kiddiguard across the entrance to my kitchen, it's a kitchen diner so the stair gate is in a gap rather than a door way.

My dad (bless him) built a false wall to fix it on to next to my fridge and the other side fixes onto my kitchen cupboards.

I got mine from kiddicare was about £50. I've just looked it up and it's gone up to £60 now. :eek:

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_62_10751_-1_14054_3072_10001_14054

However it's worth every penny and people don't even know it's there when it's not in use.

I wanted the same ones for my stairs but I managed to get 2 lovely wooden gates (without trip bars) from freecycle :D

the price has gone up cause kiddicare (who r based in peterborough) have just moved into a brand new huge warehouse. They have put a lot of prices up!!!! And now it is far to big u could actually get lost in there!!!!!!!!!!

Pudding Girl
08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
My cousin ( a minder) has one and my hubby broke it, he couldn't get the thing open and somehow managed to rip it ( yet they are supposed to be virtually indestructable and take upto 200lbs of force...

Me - I still can't work out how to open the blooming thing, I stand and yell till soneome comes to let me in :blush: usually a kid :rolleyes:

melanieabigail2004
09-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I've got three of these and I love them! They are out of the way when you don't need them.

Made by Lascal - I got mine from Kiddicare but ebay's worth a look.

Only problem is grandparents who seem incapable of opening them! My mum has been known to climb over them! Really very easy to use and keep clean.

Amaranth
09-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Ooh, I've just ordered one of these. My dd is 6 so is way beyond needing a stair gate and I was sick of looking at the metal one! They look really good. Will let you know how I get on! :D

angeldelight
10-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Here you go Louise

Here is the old thread

Angel xx

littlesprogs
10-11-2008, 07:44 PM
ah thanks angel

Helpinghands
10-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Iv also got one of these from Kiddicare at £55. It is noisy and frightens the crap out of my lo, but it tucks away nicely and doesn't stick out in the way like most gates.

Its is quite tricky to use though one-handed though!

Easy to clean as it's a plasticy material and fairly easy to install...after I had installed it anyway!

Lou
10-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes i have one of these at bottm of stairs, it is nice that at weekend i can just have it open, only problem i have is after school, my children like to go upstairs and everytime they come down they cant open it!!!!!

Definatly looks better than a noraml stair gate though!!!

loocyloo
10-11-2008, 10:23 PM
my friend has one of these on her stairs ... its really good ... i can't open it ever, even though she has shown me lots of times!!!

and when its rolled up, you hardly notice it at all.

xxx

kellywestie
10-11-2008, 11:12 PM
We have 2 of these, 1 at the bottom of the stairs and 1 across the kitchen doorway from the hall. Didn't want the traditional ones as had them in our old house and they are lethal and always there which is really annoying when you don't need them for your own child.

Would, and have, recommended them to loads of people. Are very unobtrusive, work really well and we have never had any problems with them.

Would definately buy again if had to!

sharons
11-11-2008, 12:15 AM
I got a clunck click I think its called from bambinos of ebay wooden around £20 aution price with postage you just lift to come out and click back into place I can put it away every night its great :laughing: :laughing: