PDA

View Full Version : NCMA Position

uf353432
01-06-2012, 10:32 AM
I have had a long conversation this morning with Catherine Farrell, joint Chief Exec of NCMA.

I have since the launch of the petition been quite forthright in asking NCMA for support (poor Tim Farrow!) and a phone call was arranged earlier this week for today with Catherine. I have permission from Catherine to convey their position, though I am paraphrasing from the notes I took:

NCMA recognise that the petition is representative of the strength of feeling at a grass roots level, and is completely independent of any organisation which preserves the integrity of the petition and makes it very powerful.

There is a accusation (from pro change MP's) that NCMA might have a vested interest in keeping the statue quo, to generate income - whilst NCMA say that ironically that would be true if it went down an agency model, but is not true under the current framework. Even so - they don't want this to override the potential power that can be harnessed when the petition is presented, and they want the petition to remain a grass roots initiative.

Cath wanted to point out that we must not underestimate the power of our voices and wanted me to reiterate to everyone about writing letters to MP's. There is a sense gathering that the next couple of months lots of idea's are going to be banded about and we could see solid idea's being put on the table as early as the autumn. The next few months are therefore crucial in being vocal, voicing concerns and getting support from MP's - who can challenge government from within. NCMA and other organisations will be far less compelling than the individual, getting MP's to your setting, meeting childminders putting faces to names are going to generate much more support where it matters.

Cath wanted to point out very strongly that NCMA are really impressed at the petition and want to help support it - without impacting its value. She has therefore committed initially in promoting it in the next e newsletter to all members and they will also put a link to the petition in the members area of the website.

Cath has said that she will keep an open line of communication with me and that we can readdress their support again if its required.

Can I just also say on a personal level - Cath was a very very nice lady :)

I hope that helps some of you that were questioning NCMA's position etc. I am excited that the petition will be promoted to such a large number of childminders and I hope that it helps us produce the significant numbers we want to achieve. For those who have yet to write letters to MP's - I hope that the above gives you confidence that your letter would have value and is vital to the cause.

Thanks Debs

madmamma
01-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Very informative, thank you :thumbsup:

christine e
01-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks for updating us:thumbsup:

Penny1959
01-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Thank you Debbie

Good to know NCMA's position.

Penny :)

Pauline
01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks Deb :thumbsup:

Stapleton83
01-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks, it is good to know where they stand and why they perhaps haven't been more forthcoming.

Great work Debs x

Rubybubbles
01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
thanks Debbie:thumbsup:

There was a big spread in the NCMA mag about their Individual Inspection Matters (in they fancy new look magazine;))

The Juggler
01-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I think that NCMA are taking a very sensible stance on this. I'm glad they are fighting the CM corner with the Government and for once us and NCMA are all in the same corner.

We CAN get this stopped girls. We can make a big press furore if need be - saying how the gov't just want to save money/encourage unregulated, unsafe childcare;)

loocyloo
01-06-2012, 02:31 PM
brilliant. thank you x

Playmate
01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Thank you Debbie :D