PDA

View Full Version : Refunding Overpayments? How to do it? Advice please.

Tippy Toes
01-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi Again!

I have a parent who pays by STD, im taking 2 weeks off soon as have advised her when to stop payments and restart them (dont get paid for my hols - wish I did! lol)

Anyway last time I took time off she stopped the standing order 2 weeks late, and it caused a lot of problems, she was unsure of how to set it back up etc etc and this went on for several weeks.

So this time around she has asked can she just keep the standing order running and for me to refund her cash when I get back from hols.

My question is - Can I refund her using Cash? I would feel safer if I transferred it back to mum so then I have a record of it on my bank statement (Tax purposes etc).

And obviously would need to get mum to sign to say refund given?

How do you do it when you have been overpaid?

Thanks for any help /advice xx

NicoleW
01-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I do it by cash. I write a receipt out and get parent to sign it and label it as "refund for overpayment" and make sure I date it. This will then get filed into my expenses

JCrakers
01-06-2012, 09:24 AM
I gave a cheque last time it happened.
I have a term time only contract but mum is not so good at stopping standing order so it continues through hols. I've advised her to use her credit that she has built up over Easter and June half term to pay up until the end of term and then stop her S/O now and set it up again in sept but not sure if she will

I just add a note onto the invoice to say refunded so much

QualityCare
01-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Type up a letter to parent detailing a transfer for overpayment giving dates and amounts both of you sign and have a copy each, ask for her bank account details sort code and account number and arrange for your bank to do a transfer. Explain to mum you need to do it this way for your accounts.

Tippy Toes
01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all your help. I think I'll transfer it back to her bank account and get her to sign to confirm.