PDA

View Full Version : CM or teaching assistant :-/

welshcake
31-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi I have been child minding for 4 yrs now and one of the main reasons was so I could stay at home with my little girl she is now in full time school but carried on child minding as I have since become a single mum with 3 girls all in full time school.

I do love child minding well did but I have had my fair share of problem parents. I only look after 3 kids two lots of parents are brilliant one is a complete pain always texting at 10pm telling me whatshe would like her son to do basically telling me how to do my job as she works in childcare. She has got me so down and I have totally gone off my job and this is not the first time either.

Anyway two jobs have come up one at a school my girls go to and I am tempted to apply for them I loose money monthly nearly £800 but I Linda think you can't put a price on sanity both jobs are part time.

Can't talk to anyone about it because they don't understand how I am feeling they just think its great I work from home.

I am fed up of my house being over run with CM resources , never being able to finish work when I should and sick of working 48 hours for rubbish pay when I could work 21 hours. Have had my fair share of problem parents and kids.

Help !!!!

Jacko81
31-05-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm in the same predicament!!

Just waiting to hear if I get an interview.

There are pros and cons to both but I wrote them all down and if ( a big IF) I get a job offer then I think I'll know deep down what I want to do.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go

Xxx

welshcake
31-05-2012, 01:13 PM
And to you it's hard decision isn't it but kinda decided to apply and take it from there only thing that putting me off one of the mums at kids school volunteers and tbh her tongue is well and truly inserted and is walking round as if she knows she has job even thou closing date has not even finished for applicants.

Jacko81
31-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Thing is though if you don't apply, you'll always be wondering if u could have got it!!
Go for it'll and remember all things happen for a reason xx

md0u0131
31-05-2012, 01:38 PM
I'd apply and see what happens, childminding is something you could always come back to if TA didn't work out. Life's too short to be unhappy x

melco
31-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I did a teaching assistant course a few years ago as I though it would be something that would fit round the children. I don't want to worry you but I volunteered at my daughters school for over a year and with the course all the ta jobs I applied for I did not get an interview as they said I did not have enough experience!!

I also found that a lot of the ta jobs I had to either start early in the morning or work a bit longer after school so would have ended up having to need childcare.

However don't let this put you off, even when I was volunteering I found it very rewarding and really enjoyed the job and it may be something that I look into again in the future.

i also know a ta who does childminding as well, she offers after school care and holidays then works at the school during the day so maybe if you got the job and needed extra money you could look into doing that.

Hope I have helped in some way

ziggy
31-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I've had an interview this week for a nursery job but sadly just couldnt manage on money being offered

If you can manage on less money then go for it, as mentioned you could maybe child mind in the holidays

aunt sally
31-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I have been childminding part time for five years. I was offered a TA position 7 months ago at the school my children go to..... I love it. However I still childmind 2 children after school just 3 days a week. It fits in well together and I love the new challenges as a TA. If you want to try something new then go for it.

LChurch
31-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I know what I would do and that is a TA if it paid enough but still be registered for after school and holiday care, that would be ideal. Alternately you could look at other sorts of jobs that might be suitable. It is so hard isn't it when we end up having a job take over our life!

Baildon bears
03-06-2012, 07:22 PM
A position has come up at my school as a TA, it is full time and it would be slight less pay, I am going for it:panic:, its something I have wanted to do for a while, I have been childminding for 4 years too, my kids are older and I just want my house back, I have spent all weekend doing my personal statement :panic:, I know its silly to think too far ahead but i'm worried if I get the job having to let my parents down, but I guess I have to put myself and family first.

Debster
05-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Hi I have been child minding for 4 yrs now and one of the main reasons was so I could stay at home with my little girl she is now in full time school but carried on child minding as I have since become a single mum with 3 girls all in full time school.

I do love child minding well did but I have had my fair share of problem parents. I only look after 3 kids two lots of parents are brilliant one is a complete pain always texting at 10pm telling me whatshe would like her son to do basically telling me how to do my job as she works in childcare. She has got me so down and I have totally gone off my job and this is not the first time either.

Anyway two jobs have come up one at a school my girls go to and I am tempted to apply for them I loose money monthly nearly £800 but I Linda think you can't put a price on sanity both jobs are part time.

Can't talk to anyone about it because they don't understand how I am feeling they just think its great I work from home.

I am fed up of my house being over run with CM resources , never being able to finish work when I should and sick of working 48 hours for rubbish pay when I could work 21 hours. Have had my fair share of problem parents and kids.

Help !!!!

Go for it if you feel like that I feel just the same I am applying for a job at the nursery. I will get a lower hourly rate than I do on some days now but all my mindees are leaving in september so I don't know what the future holds. What is good about this position is that it is term time only and I would e paid all yr round where currently most of the children I care for are term time only and I dont get paid. Not sure how I will be working for someone again but I like the idea of going to work some adult interaction doing my job in that time and going home and switching of and most importantly getting my house back. I plan to do the foundation degree and will hopefully get in to social care or teaching in the next 5 yrs. We are fortunate that we can fall back on to childminding if need be you have nothing to loose and your sanity to gain good luck:thumbsup: