PDA

View Full Version : Strange request

melco
31-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi,

I have just had an email from a lady. This is what it said:

This is a strange / different request. I have got my brother and his 9 year all son coming from the US for a holiday but this is combined with a week where my brother will be working in Hull. The week he is working in Hull, I am looking for 'child care' for my nephew. The dates I have are 21, 22, 25, 26 27June.

I live in Tilehurst so will drop him at 7.30 and pick him up by 6pm. I do not know what age group you look after - and at 9 years, he may be more help then need looking after!! Are you able to help at all?

I know I would have to sign a short term contract if I have him and I do not mind, but as my own children will be in school what will I do with him? And what else would I have to think about?

Thanks in advance

melco

FussyElmo
31-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi,

I have just had an email from a lady. This is what it said:

This is a strange / different request. I have got my brother and his 9 year all son coming from the US for a holiday but this is combined with a week where my brother will be working in Hull. The week he is working in Hull, I am looking for 'child care' for my nephew. The dates I have are 21, 22, 25, 26 27June.

I live in Tilehurst so will drop him at 7.30 and pick him up by 6pm. I do not know what age group you look after - and at 9 years, he may be more help then need looking after!! Are you able to help at all?

I know I would have to sign a short term contract if I have him and I do not mind, but as my own children will be in school what will I do with him? And what else would I have to think about?

Thanks in advance

melco

Is it not illegal to work in the country if you are here on holiday or is it a business trip. There was lots of scams going round about people being in the country and needing a short term contract.

Or perhaps Im just too old and cynical :)

Pipsqueak
31-05-2012, 12:38 PM
that was my first thought - if he is visiting from the US then he might not supposed to be working but then I thought - perhaps he is still a UK citizen?

However, yes it does seem odd that a child is coming all this way, being put in childcare with essentially strangers, (makes you wonder why aunt or other family are clammering to care of him)

Perhaps you could enquire for further details?

christine e
31-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I just assumed his work in Hull was in fact to do with his work in the US and that he was combining a business trip with a holiday. Think this does sound genuine but would proceed with caution - how about asking for a landline number that you could call her one so you can have a chat then google the number and see if it throws anything up

taiwallis
31-05-2012, 12:53 PM
mmmmm.... my initial thought was, sick in the stomach feeling that this is a scam... it may well not be but i had something similar a couple of years back. They say they are coming from abroad to work here or be here on business... they book your slot - all seems really legit.... they then send you too much money.... so you send them a refund for the difference, but then their cheque bounces.... i would just tread very carefully.... my lot even sent me photos of the kids .... (obviously there weren't any kids!) .....

On the other hand it could be absolutely fine...... i just would tread very very carefully... ask for payment up front now -

melco
31-05-2012, 01:07 PM
The query has come from someone I used to work with so don't feel its a scam but if I decide to go ahead I will definitley ask for the money up front. The email also came from her place of work which is also where my husband works and how she got the details.

My worry would be the child not getting to meet me beforehand and as he is 9 what he would enjoy to do etc.

The comments have made me nervous about doing it, so now am not really sure what to do.

taiwallis
31-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I am so sorry if i scared you. If you think it is from a reputable source then go for it - but do make sure you are paid up front, in advance. I did a weeks care for a 10 yr old once, as her mum was at a conference locally. She really enjoyed helping with the other kids, baking, etc etc. Maybe there are so activities around in your area you could take him to. i would get some background info into what he likes/dislikes..... again sorry for being skeptical x

caz3007
31-05-2012, 01:16 PM
If you know the person, then no its not a scam, just a shame they cant take the time off to spend it with the child.

I would ask if there is any possibility you could meet the child before, especially if its towards the end of their stay.

My 9 year old boy, likes tv, crafting, cars, reading and generally playing with whatever is around. Perhaps you could have a phone chat to find out what the child likes doing so you can plan things a little. You may find he is happy to bring things with him

Tealady
31-05-2012, 03:36 PM
If you know the person, then no its not a scam, just a shame they cant take the time off to spend it with the child.
I would ask if there is any possibility you could meet the child before, especially if its towards the end of their stay.

My 9 year old boy, likes tv, crafting, cars, reading and generally playing with whatever is around. Perhaps you could have a phone chat to find out what the child likes doing so you can plan things a little. You may find he is happy to bring things with him

They may be here for actually quite some time either before or after the business trip. It is a holiday combined with business. My friend does this with her husband. Had 10 days in the states for business. Worked two days from a "hot desk" in one of the office and then flew hubby over and they had a fortnights holiday.

rickysmiths
31-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I would email her back and if you can offer her care then do and tell her the terms.

My first thought though would be to suggest to her that she asks her sons school if he can go to school with her son for the week. much more fun and good for him to experience an English school and it would be free apart from lunches.

It doesn't sound like a scam just a combined business and holiday trip.

One of my current mindees Uncle does this and it means he gets his fares paid and can visit his family. He comes over from New Zealand.

FussyElmo
31-05-2012, 05:03 PM
The query has come from someone I used to work with so don't feel its a scam but if I decide to go ahead I will definitley ask for the money up front. The email also came from her place of work which is also where my husband works and how she got the details.

My worry would be the child not getting to meet me beforehand and as he is 9 what he would enjoy to do etc.

The comments have made me nervous about doing it, so now am not really sure what to do.

Slightly different if you trust the person it came from - if i had known that in the op then I wouldnt have neccessarily thought it was a scam.

Ring the lady if it the child first time in england he might just want to see the sights :thumbsup: