PDA

View Full Version : E TRUSS REPLY

rickysmiths
31-05-2012, 09:09 AM
I have just got this email from Elizabeth Truss in answer to my original email here in blue her reply below.

I have just received your rep;y to my email. I was assured by a member of your staff that you personally would read and respond to my email. This clearly has not happened because if you had read my email you would have understood that it was in response to your paper and comments made on the radio.

A coherent framework in Britain could be achieved by adopting the agency structure – used in the Netherlands– for childminders. In the Netherlands childminder or ‘host parent’ agencies

operate locally, training and monitoring registered childminders, while parents pay a monthly fee for childminding. An equivalent system in the UK could be based on existing networks, agencies and local authority operations already in existence.

The above model has been shown not to work and the Netherlands are currently deconstructing it so what makes you think it would work here?

In addition nurseries and children’s centres could be allowed to attain academy status, as schools are currently able to. This would mean money currently allocated to local authorities would go direct to academy nurseries.

Why should Privately owned, profit making Nurseries be possibly considered as a route to monitor, regulate or what ever when they are my competitors? How will they remain fair with regard to local childminders? My local Nursery struggles to achieve a Satifactory grading and as far as I can see provides a far inferior and less flexible service than I do. I as I said in my email, have always been graded good and for the last two inspections have gained areas of Outstanding as well. Not all Nurseries are a beacon of excellent care Ms Truss. You only have to look at a few Ofsted reports to see that. I also realise that not all Childminding settings are good. The trouble is that these nurseries are high profile on the High Street and when people like you infer they are better than childminding then parents use them and don’t actually consider fully what their child is actually getting out of being there.

You clearly have no idea what the role of a Childminder is and how they work and have not taken the trouble to find out. maybe it is your researchers who are at fault here? At any rate I would be delighted if you would take the time to actually read my email, do some research, you are welcome to telephone me, I have 18 years experience of Childminding, or indeed come and visit.

Perhaps in the light of some equally ill informed comments Michael Wilshaw, the Head of Ofsted has made regarding Childminding you might like to ask if he would like to visit me with you. It will be a revelation for both of you to see how professional, caring and hard working a childminder can be.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Elizabeth Truss MP

Member of Parliament for South West Norfolk

House of Commons

London SW1A 0AA

0207 219 7151

Dear Brita,

Thank you for your email. I am very supportive of childminders and concerned that numbers have dropped over the last decade. My proposals are about trying to increase the numbers and attractiveness of the profession and I certainly support training and effective regulation. However, the Government currently spends over £7billion per year on childcare, and I am concerned that some of this is being absorbed by bureaucracy instead of going to actual childcare.

I am not advocating that childminders be forced to care for more children at present or lower their fees. However, I do believe that the child to staff ratios should be changed so that those childminders who wish to look after more children are able to do so. The idea of agencies would mean that a childminder would choose who to affiliate with, whether a network or other organisation or indeed register themselves. Childminders could be self-employed under the agency system.

Regarding the Dutch system I do not advocate wholesale adoption of it, but believe there are interesting aspects that could be usefully applied in the UK. In case you are interested I have reproduced below a full transcript of a recent Today Programme report from the Netherlands regarding the Dutch childcare model.

Best wishes,

Elizabeth Truss MP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could Dutch childcare model work for UK?

The average family in Britain spends more than a quarter of its income on childcare, that is more than almost any other country in the world. You might remember that earlier this week we heard from the Conservative MP, Elizabeth Truss, who had written a paper suggesting that one way to cut the costs is to follow what has happened in Holland where there have been big changes to the system of childcare in recent years. Well, Our reporter Sanchia Berg is there now. Are you impressed with what you’ve seen Sanchia?

Sanchia Berg: Well, John, it’s interesting. I’m here in the centre of Amsterdam in the Vondelpark. The park is busy with cyclists. Some of them taking their young children to nursery or childminders, they’re in those little carriages at the front of the bikes. But what I found was that in Holland, there were reforms that were brought in about seven years ago and they were intended to improve parents’ choice. They did that, but with some unintended consequences as I discovered.

Nellie Bastion: Everyone in Holland has a bicycle.

Sanchia Berg: Nellie Bastion took me to pick up her grandchildren from school in North Amsterdam. She is 79 but she looks after Sebastian who is seven and Babette who is eleven most days. Her daughter is a nurse, her son-in-law a paramedic and they work irregular shifts. The children often sleep at their grandparents’ flat on the third floor of a large modern block. Nellie has looked after her grandchildren since they were born.

Nellie Bastion: After 10 weeks, she must go to work and then I take them.

Sanchia Berg: Before 2005 the Dutch Government only subsidised childcare in day nurseries or after-school clubs. Then they decided to open up the market and subsidise parents’ to use whatever childcare suited them, as governments have done in Britain. That meant that one sector of the Dutch childcare market grew rapidly. Childminders could get Government funding for the first time. They needed to register with an agency who took a slice of a fee. So Nellie could get money for looking after her grandchildren.

Nellie Bastion: I take the money, for I do it and it is a job.

Sanchia Berg: This change meant the number of subsidised places that childminders multiplied. Martin Flyer is Director of childcare at the Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs.

Martin Flyer: There was a very big increase in childminders from the informal surroundings of the parents. It could be the grandparents or it could be the neighbours. That gave some headaches because the number of childminders exploded and it had a severe effect on the Government budget.

Sanchia Berg: So the Dutch changed the system again two years ago. A childminder has to be qualified. Nearly 40 per cent of the new childminders dropped out, many of them the grandparents. But Nellie chose to train. She is very proud of her diploma in childcare.

Nellie Bastion: Then I have this certificate. I am not a grandmother, I have my certificate.

Sanchia Berg: Yes, you’re professional.

Nellie Bastion: I’m professional.

Sanchia Berg: The new rules gave the agencies more responsibility. Wendy van Lueck is the founder of Flex Motors, a childminding agency.

Wendy van Lueck: We train the childminders to become a childminder. We support the childminders in their daily work, help them with their administration. We do the inspections. We also make sure

that they get the money so we collect the money from the parents and we pay the childminders. And we also make sure the parents have all they need to get the subsidy for the day-care.

Sanchia Berg: Now the Dutch Ministry believes the system will work better. Nellie’s daughter, Mareka, is one of many parents who endorse it.

Mareka: I think that it gives a good choice because it is a stimulus for women to go work because otherwise a lot of women, I think, stay at home.

Sanchia Berg: It has been suggested some elements of the Dutch reforms could make care more affordable for British parents. Everyone I spoke to in Holland said the changes didn’t affect the price parents paid. It brought choice and flexibility. Compared with the UK, the Dutch payment system is simpler. All families get some subsidy and childminders can look after more children at once. If Britain did change its system, Martin Flyer, Director of childcare at the Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs, has some advice.

Martin Flyer: It’s always a good idea to trust parental choice. I think that has been the driving force in the Dutch system, and it has been a good driving force. The second point is really understand the mechanism of quality and get the regulation right at front.

AgentTink
31-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks for posting this rickysmiths.

I seem confused to why she gave you the transcript to the conversation. It is mentioned in there that all parents can get some subsidery to pay for childcare. Does his mean the mrs truss is going to make sure that universal credit is changed so that all our families can get financial support. I doubt it :rolleyes:

Secondly it states all childminders got trained. Is mrs truss saying that she is now going to fund all childminders to get a diploma. I doubt it :rolleyes:

Thirdly It clearly states that the Dutch system did not lessen prices, so why does mrs truss keep bleating on about us making childcare more affordable.

Does anyone get the feeling that mrs truss keeps getting herself muddled. This response to rickysmiths proves this. She does not have a consistent message at all :rolleyes:

sarahlou
31-05-2012, 11:04 AM
hi all,
i have been following mrs truss and i now believe she doesnt understand anything she is saying. She has contradicted herself and back tracked sooo many times ive lost count. When she is challenged she is like a Dictaphone and repeats her answers - we shall wait and see there has been far more back lash than she anticipated i think :)

mum2two
31-05-2012, 11:11 AM
So it reads to me that the agency system won't be compulsory??? We can choose whether we want to join an agency, network, or register ourselves - as we already do???? :rolleyes:

xx

uf353432
31-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I got a similar reply - actually - her automated 2nd response loL! :laughing::laughing:

Smiley
31-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Well would you believe it, this morning I've received the identical reply and still not addressing our I dividual concerns. I'm beginning to think its not worth me sending a 3rd email!!

rickysmiths
31-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I suspected this was a standard reply :rolleyes:

sarah707
31-05-2012, 12:02 PM
But the Netherlands report on the Radio said the whole thing was a shambles - it cost more than they expected to set up, the majority of those newly registering were grandparents, they all defrauded the state benefits system...

It was then changed so they had to do a course and most of them dropped out... those that did the course still only look after grandchildren.

I read an interesting research project the other day that said there were concerns about grandparents caring for children too -

http://www.ioe.ac.uk/newsEvents/16093.html

So way to go Ms Truss - get rid of all the experienced, motivated, well educated childminders and bring in grandparents plus illegal baby minders working for up to 5 children without registration (she quotes this from the Canadian model she is investigating)...

Yay :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
31-05-2012, 12:40 PM
oh the woman is giving me a headache...

I know I can be easily confused but she takes the biscuit!

Penny1959
31-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I suspected this was a standard reply :rolleyes:

YES - so it is standard reply 2 - a childminder forwarded it to me this morning.

I have yet to recieve a replyto my 3rd one.

Penny :)

The Juggler
31-05-2012, 01:17 PM
So it reads to me that the agency system won't be compulsory??? We can choose whether we want to join an agency, network, or register ourselves - as we already do???? :rolleyes:

xx

that's how I read it, we just carry on as now on our own - except with no ofsted inspection or registration so very scary prospect for children and parents :eek: or associate ourselves with an agency headed by a bunch of people who probably know next to nothing about childminding and who take commission or payment from us.

What a choice:panic:

loocyloo
31-05-2012, 01:19 PM
that's how I read it, we just carry on as now on our own - except with no ofsted inspection or registration so very scary prospect for children and parents :eek: or associate ourselves with an agency headed by a bunch of people who probably know next to nothing about childminding and who take commission or payment from us.

What a choice:panic:

i think the forum needs to become THE agency ... pauline? are you busy?? :laughing:

caz3007
31-05-2012, 01:56 PM
i think the forum needs to become THE agency ... pauline? are you busy?? :laughing:

:laughing::laughing: poor Pauline x

Heaven Scent
31-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't often do impressions of people because I can't do accents etc but here is my impression of ET - (you will need to read this out but in a lower voice than normal with you hand over your mouthe to get the full effect).

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah - gobbeldy gook - gobbeldy gook gobbedly gook - gobbeldy gook - Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah. (repeat 100times)

If you follow the instructions as set out above it will begin to make the same amount of sense as ET's responses to us - OK ....... Yeah ...... Understand???:huh::huh::eek::rolleyes::idea:

I have got another version of this that I am too polite to post on here the initials for the words are B. S. & C and or names for brown smelly stuff!!!:blush:

uf353432
31-05-2012, 07:59 PM
well here is my reply to automated email 2:

Thank you for your reply. You have still yet to convince me that your proposals will in any way reform childcare for the better.

I understand that policies surrounding children and families often require a commitment by government to spend large sums of money and that mistakes can be costly. But I don't understand why regulation by Ofsted is considered to be such a mistake that you want to go down an agency model. Surely that is akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water? and adjusting the current system to make it more effective and cost efficient has to be significantly cheaper and less complicated than the proposals in your paper.

I also don't understand why when you talk of your childcare reform strategy you focus on childminders - when childcare includes a whole raft of Early Years Settings - surely in order to retain the effective multi agency working we have now, creating a 2 tiered approach to childcare would only weaken those relationships and perceptions of childminders.

Whilst I appreciate that you say you support childminders, I actually feel you are doing them a huge disservice in the way this has been presented. Previously is was socially constructed that childminders - were akin to babysitters. With the introduction of the EYFS and regulation of Ofsted the profession has become more professionalised - granted in some quarters of the industry some have been very slow to adopt the framework and understand its merit - but a great percentage of childminders see themselves as early educators who support children in a caring home setting, they DO NOT see themselves as mere babysitters. This increased professionalism has slowly turned the tide of public perception not only to parents but other early years professionals. The suggestion that childminders should go back in time when they have tasted what its like to be highly regarded - well that would be similar to you no longer working as an MP - but say an office clerk. Your plans, which focus entirely on downgrading childminders in a bid to increase numbers, just makes childminding a undervalued profession in the eyes of policy makers and regulatory bodies.

You could have lodged a campaign outlining what a fabulous job we do, what a brilliant and rewarding profession it was, how respected we are as early educators and what positive ways the government would support people becoming childminders in particular areas of Britain where the numbers are insufficient to cater for demand of places. You could have supported young mums/new mums/single mums with education grants to study early years education and encouraged them to become childminders with bursaries and put them in touch with childminder peer supporters in their LA to assist them in starting up their own business - especially in areas where the demands are high. If you had actually consulted with childminders, who combined have many decades of experience in the profession, on any ideas they would have in boosting childminders to come into the job, we could have given you ideas and strategies. If you had done any and all of those things you would help attract more childminders into a field of work which works very well under the current system - it demands a level of quality and ensures that children are kept safe.

I take my job very seriously, I came into the job with my eyes wide open after it was regulated. I was going to have to work at a certain level, I needed to keep children safe, I needed to support their learning in the most important formative years and I needed to run my business is a professional way - maintaining confidentiality, robust policies which I demonstrate daily and be prepared to reflect and develop professionally. I have kept up my end of the bargain Elizabeth - and I expect any person considering childminding as a job to do just the same. You CANNOT have someone else write your policies - you have to do this for yourself - to take ownership, to understand fully. You CANNOT have someone else set the terms of your business and you CANNOT expect me to be satisfied with working my backside off, loosing valuable time with my own family in the pursuit of training, further study to be downgraded to a 'babysitter'

md0u0131
31-05-2012, 08:10 PM
ET just digs deeper and deeper, she really comes across as having no clue what she is talking about.

uf353432
31-05-2012, 08:25 PM
so get this I get a reply to above in just 4 MINUTES!!!

her reply - have you actually read my report? there are alot of factual inaccuracies in what you say.

My response

Yes I have read your report, and the associated media reports in response saying, along with with what I believed when I read it that its not a good idea. I'm sure we can't all be reading it incorrectly can we? This is the 2nd time you have asked me to read your report and both times I've confirmed that I have and I have serious misgivings about your suggestions. I'm not alone by the way - there is a very disheartened mob of childminders out there who feel that all their efforts have been for nothing and that you have very little understanding about what we do. I'm sorry if you considered the report to be your swan song - but I have to be honest you have not convinced me and asking me to continually read the report is not going to convince me further. I have not dismissed your report out of hand - i've read it, digested it, considered the implications - I hope that in just 4 minutes of receiving my email you have given the sentiments that underpin my email the same courtesy?

miffy
31-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I don't think she's hearing what you're saying :rolleyes:

I can't decide whether she's arrogant, ignorant or just plain stupid!

Miffy xx

uf353432
31-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Hence my reply - I had to retype it several times to come across as professional.

She has complete disregard for anything I have written so far - she may as well have written - you don't know what you are talking about, and your views are not important. But perhaps thats my internal voice lol!

chattercat
31-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I too have received her automated reply.

I suggest that everyone keeps emailing her with questions and make her do some work lol :thumbsup: