PDA

View Full Version : Typical

sprinkles
30-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I was trying to find out how much demand there is for a childminder in the area so posted on gumtree. Typically a man has replied saying he would be looking for someone for his 11 month old for 3 days a week but he's only 3 miles from where I live now and we're moving by end of year (hopefully) :( unbelievably typical!!

miffy
31-05-2012, 06:39 AM
You might do better contacting your DO if you have one and seeing if they can put you in touch with other cms in your area.

Miffy xx

sprinkles
31-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi miffy. I've spoken with my local scma officer and she says there are 13 registered childminders already in the town we're moving to and it's only a population of about 6,500.

I am in contact with 2 childminders who I knew before I started the process but they're in different areas. Also in contact with one from the town we're moving to.

sarah707
31-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I would ring childminders in the town, introduce yourself and explain what you are thinking of doing.

Find out from them what the situation is like before possibly wasting your time.

I hope it's positive for you! :D

sprinkles
31-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks Sarah. I've spoken to a childminder who knows of people in the area we are moving to that have had trouble finding childcare for their child but a childminder already in the area has said enquiries are pretty rare and mostly part time. I don't if that's her speaking from her experience or whether this is the case for all minders in the area.

Very frustrating as I know it's something I'd love to do I'm just not sure we could cope on one wage if I was ever to have no mindees or very few hours. I've got a job I wouldn't give up til I've got work lined up though.

fionamal
31-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Im in East Lothian and its very quiet here just now. Theres only 10 of us in our town now compared to 22 when I started out 6 years ago. Speaking to chilminders from other towns and it seems to much the same all over

sprinkles
31-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Hi Fiona where about are you? Yeah it would seem that way, just typical when it's what I'd love to do :(

miffy
31-05-2012, 07:37 PM
If you do a forum search there are lots of threads about advertising, you might consider getting some business cards from vista print or similar to hand out or doing a leaflet drop in your area. Make sure you tell everyone you meet you're a childminder, you never know who might be looking for childcare.

Good luck

Miffy xx

sprinkles
31-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks Miffy :)

I just looked on SCSWIS at registered childminders in the area and I've not even heard of most of them so not sure how they do their advertising.

I need to believe in myself and believe this will work. I don't have any other commitments such as my own kids etc and if I get 'in' with the right people hopefully it will work out for me :)

Thanks for the advice, my friend who is a childminder has told me she will help me regarding advertising but I will look into business cards etc and also see what she comes up with.

Come on SCSWIS get your finger out :laughing: