PDA

View Full Version : home educated children with a physical disability

jadavi
30-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I have been asked to consider childminding two children (8 and 10) who both have a different physical disability - hyper mobility syndrome/Ehler-Danlos syndrome and subarachnoid cyst causing very bad headaches.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of these conditions?

Or any thoughts in general around including home ed children or older children with disabilities such as these.

I am an ex teacher of children with special needs (but haven't come across these) and I also am a champion of home education and home edded my own four and have lots of resources.

jadavi
31-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Posting again as this slipped thru and I'm sure someone has ideas on this ...

sarah707
31-05-2012, 07:19 AM
I think they key question to ask yourself is - could you cope with the children's individual care and educational needs while also meeting the needs of the little ones in your care?

Both the EYFS and Childcare Registers are clear that if older children impact on the little ones then the EYFS children must be priority - not very equality act friendly I'm afraid but definitely something to consider.

It sounds like you are the expert at home educating... so any concerns are likely to be focussed more on care needs and impact to your daily routines - toddler groups, outings, school runs etc.

Hth :D

Smiley
31-05-2012, 07:30 AM
I can't help you as far as experience but I have come across the link below which explains the syndrome very well

http://livingbendy.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/what-is-hypermobility-syndromeehlers.html

VeggieSausage
31-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I mind a lo with hypermobility (double jointedness), it affects this lo's hips, ankles, knees, shins......not a problem at all for me, I just have to be aware that sometimes he can't do everything that another child the same age could do with ease.

jadavi
31-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks Smiley for looking that up for me...very kind. It does make for dismal reading though..just doesnt seem fair.

I have written to the mum asking more details about her daughter's condition.

Thanks for reminding me about the priority of the EYFS children Sarah.
Thankfully the four week settling period should be the decider.

Does anyone know anything about the subarachnoid cyst condition?