PDA

View Full Version : So cross

handeme
30-05-2012, 11:50 AM
My 2 year old mindee has on the past two days snapped a broken two of my car blinds. They are not the cheap sick on ones but ones that are actually fitted into the doors.

He knows not to touch and pull them and when he sees that I have seen him he smirks and moves his hands quickly. Yesterday he snapped one and it has rolled back into the door, all whilst I am driving. Then today as I was getting the buggy out of the car, he has pulled and totally snapped the whole of the top of the blind!

It will have to go into the garage for new plastic catches to be fixed. Cam I claim that because a mindee has done it and too would you mention it too the parents? x

Bridey
30-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I would say yes you can claim.

I don't know what telling the parent will achieve. If they tell him he shouldn't do it, it won't mean a lot to him really - particularly as he won't be doing it at the time.

I would just get the cheap stick on ones to use for when you have him, until he's older.

jane5
30-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Same as Bridey,

I dont mention things like that to parents because it is just one of those things that happen in this job and I would put it on my expenses and buy some cheap ones.

SYLVIA
30-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I do tell parents when things get broken, if I have spoken to the child about doing it several times before. I ask them to talk to the child, not tell them off, but to re-inforce what I have told them. I would claim it on expenses too. I have just done this when the heating vent in my car was broken

EmmaReed84
30-05-2012, 12:54 PM
It is hard to say if I would mention it or not. I had mindee get a pen and draw on my walls. When Mum collected I laughed at said she was artistic and drew all over my walls... Mum was mortified and offered to pay if we had to get it painted over... but it washed off so all was ok... Was nice to know that parent was willing to pay... even though I would not have taken it anyway x

Shar
30-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I have a 8yr old mindee who picked off the rubber coating on my brand new Sky+ remote control:angry: When I told his dad what he had done he said "Don't ever admit guilt, son"!!!!!!! I didn't want him to buy me a new one, just say sorry. Never happened. I will never trust this parent again, I have had his son for 8 years and thought I knew him. :(

QualityCare
30-05-2012, 02:38 PM
l would tell the parents they should be told that their child is damaging your property, they should be made to contribute towards the cost of new ones schools ask parents to contribute towards breakages, l assume you have ones that come fitted with the car they are expensive to replace in the citroen C8 that has them fitted they never sold them indivivually so you had to buy 4 to replace 1. Can you sit the child in the middle away from the window.

mushpea
30-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I would definatly tell the parents , they need to know whats happening and if this child carrys on breaking things and you get so fed up you give notice the parents would be quite shocked as they wouldnt have know what was going on.
anything like this or behaviour issues I always tell the parents, not so the child gets a double telling off but so they are aware there is an issue and can work with you to resolve it.

Pipsqueak
30-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't know what telling the parent will achieve. If they tell him he shouldn't do it, it won't mean a lot to him really.

i think that we DO need to tell parents when their LO's are deliberately (as it appears this LO is doing) damaging things... so that way if its an on going situation you are not 'surprising' them with news further down the line.

I totally accept that things get broken and damaged - however only certain amounts of wear and tear I can cope with - this is my families home that we have worked hard to have.... we don't expect it to be trashed!

miffy
30-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I would tell the parents especially if I thOught the mindee was doing it deliberately and I'd expect them to reinforce what I was saying to the mindee.

Miffy xx