PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope when your own little one is poorly??

stargazer1
30-05-2012, 10:43 AM
My poor DS has a chest infection and is really fed up. He just wants cuddles, as soon as I put him down he cries. I've got two others today and we are doing jubilee things this week, making crowns, flags, bunting etc and really struggling to get on with it when my own little one is so bad. I feel awful, I want to be able to sit with him and cuddle him and let him have the peace he wants but impossible when I've got two other lively busy little ones who want to do all sorts. Feel a bit rubbish today, torn in two :(

Bridey
30-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Cut down on the jubilee crafts - stick a dvd on, chuck a load of toys on the floor and snuggle up with your child on the sofa. No-one is going to shoot you down for it, the parents are going to be grateful you are still working.

Zoomie
30-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear your DS is poorly. Hope he gets better soon.

When my DD has been poorly I have done a number of things:

Closed completely - always when she had V&D, but also when she has been too tearful for me to be able to put her down.

Partially closed - when DD had chickenpox, all the other children had had it, but I found she was tolerable in the morning but come the afternoon, she had had enough. I arrange for one mindee to stay off, as parent was already at home, and the other mindee came to me in the morning and then I took them to nursery in the afternoon. So we had quieter days.

Stayed open - sometimes, when this has happened I've told parents we are having a quiet day and the tv has played a large part of our day.

Its so hard trying to balance everyones needs out :(

stargazer1
30-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Thank you both. I dont want to let anyone down as Im only on week 3. But its so hard seeing little man just want mummy to himself and making him share. Both of the mindees are with me tomorrow too so I've taken your advice Bridey and have put Gnomeo and Juliet on and a couple of puzzles, some colouring books and pencils etc out on the floor and me and DS are on the sofa.

You're so right Zoomie, 99% of the time its perfect that I can be home with DS but then there are going to be times when he is poorly, my DD is home from school poorly and they just want mummy to themselves that are going to be a bit tougher.

Thanks for your advice xx

Bridey
30-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Hope the little chap is feeling brighter tomorrow :)

stargazer1
30-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Me too, thank you Bridey x

fluff1975
30-05-2012, 07:51 PM
I hate when my two are ill as they tend to follow each other, then pass it on to me!

I'd go with the quiet dvd day too :) I'm sure others might disagree but all my parents would rather me stay open and have a bit of a slobby day, than for them to have to find alternative childcare :rolleyes:

Do you have any family close by who could help out? I'm really lucky that my parents are quite near by and are more than happy to look after my girls when they're poorly, even if it's just for part of the day. Not everyone has that support though.

scoobydoo1
30-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I haven't started yet and don't know how I would have coped as my 4 year old has a bad virul infection. I slept last night for the first time since Friday and its been so hard fighting tempratures, that seems to have eased a bit, now its skin rash, thrush and a red raw tongue, chapped lips, begging her to drink. Not too bad today she has eaten but stll stuggling getting her to drink much/ God only knows how I would have survived this week if I had childminding on top, gonna go bed now and see whether I will get any sleep xx so sounds like your doing a great job :thumbsup:

stargazer1
31-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Thanks all, I do have some support just dont like to ask if they dont offer it that makes sense. My in laws werent hugely supportive of my decision to childmind so their opinion leans slightly towards the "well just let her get on with it" and my mother is 20 miles away so a bit of a trek. Thankfully little man seems a bit brighter today. I explained to the parents on pick up yesterday that he was poorly so we hadnt got much done today but I said that if he was better today we would get the jubilee things finished and they can take them home today. So hopefully today will be more productive.

Scoobydoo1, poor you and your little one. I think there comes a point where you have to draw a line and close, our own little ones must come first (its a shame some parents dont seem to share the same view when offloading very poorly little ones so they can go to work!). Hope she is better soon and you get some sleep!! x

Bridey
31-05-2012, 08:05 AM
I haven't started yet and don't know how I would have coped as my 4 year old has a bad virul infection. I slept last night for the first time since Friday and its been so hard fighting tempratures, that seems to have eased a bit, now its skin rash, thrush and a red raw tongue, chapped lips, begging her to drink. Not too bad today she has eaten but stll stuggling getting her to drink much/ God only knows how I would have survived this week if I had childminding on top, gonna go bed now and see whether I will get any sleep xx so sounds like your doing a great job :thumbsup:

If my little one was that ill then I wouldn't be working, I'd close to look after her. The parents wouldn't be thanking me if their children caught it either. You have to use your common sense in these situations.

I hope your daughter gets well soon.

scoobydoo1
31-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks Stargazer 1, she does seem brighter today, has been drinking more, has ate some ham and cheese as this doesn't hurt her tongue and no temprature so far. She has jubilee party at scool tomorrow, I feel bad but I think she should have tomorrow off aswell as it might be too much for her.

How is your little one doing today xx

stargazer1
31-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Hes brighter today thank you. Hopefully on the mend. Awww poor little thing, sometimes you have to be a bit mean to get them better. My daughter missed her school christmas concert last year as she was so poorly. She was so upset, they had been rehearsing for ages and she had a lovely costume. In the end I dressed her up, went to the school and they let us watch it from the wings with her cuddled up on my lap so she didnt miss it completely. Hope your little one gets better soon. Just when you think they are never going to get better they bounce back xx