PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP PLEASE! Parent doesnt want to proceed with contract! Arghh!

Tippy Toes
30-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi All Really need your help :(

I don't know if any of you saw my post yesterday in regards to an after school contract I signed last wk, parent signed up for before and after school and also 3 days during hols.

She then messaged me 2 days ago to say she no longer needed school holiday care just school time care. (Even though we had already signed the contract)

So replied that it was fine but would be slight increase in fees as changing to term time only contract.

Well this morning she has emailed again to say she no longer needs childcare AT ALL :( She has sorted something out with work so that she is able to collect her child from school.

My question is what do I do re the £100 Deposit she has paid? Ive told her its to hold her space for september and will come off her first months fee's.

I do tell parents it is non refundable, but what do you think? Should I be giving this back to the parent as Contract was signed End of last wk?

To be honest Im a bit annoyed as Ive gone through a full contract with her only for her to turn around after contract has been completed to say she no longer wants the care!

Help please.

Fed up now :(

Thanks for listening.

Mouse
30-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Oh, how annoying.

I would phone your insurance company and ask where you stand. If you have told her the deposit is non-refundable if she didn't take up the space, did you put this anywhere on the contract?

A mum of mine signed her son up to a private nursery & paid all the fees, registration & deposit. She found out the next day that her son had actually got a place at the school nursery. She phoned the private nursery straight away, but didn't get any of her money back. She accepted that was just how it was, so I hope your mum does as well.

Carol M
30-05-2012, 09:42 AM
If you have stated that deposit is to reserve Sept place and that it is non refundable if place is not taken up then KEEP it.
You have spent time and money and have reserved the place whilst you could have been taking on other children.
carol xx

Gherkin
30-05-2012, 09:42 AM
She signed the contract with you and changed her mind - I would not refund. You are out of pocket with the paperwork and will need to readvertise the spot. It was the parent changing their mind and you ensured they knew the money was not refundable so you have your own answer really.

Rubybubbles
30-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Agree phone your insurance, deposits are normally none refundable (as onlg as you have the correct wording)

jane5
30-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Has mum actually asked for the deposit back? She may realise that it is probably non refundable as most deposits are.

I have written into my contracts that deposits are non refundable if the space is no longer required and also that if I terminate the contract in the 4 week settling in period I would refund any deposit or fees paid less any time used but if they terminate in the settling in period then no deposit or fees paid will be refunded.

I did this because I know some one whos parent terminated after 1 day because granny decided to have lo instead and because the deposit was to be used for fees and it was within the settling in period and didnt require any notice to terminate, she felt she had to return all money paid and only charged for the 1 day used.
She had saved the space for several months and had turned other people away.

If mum expects the deposit back I would at least charge her a £20 administration cost for my time and the cost of the contracts ect...

Toothfairy
30-05-2012, 10:15 AM
If your contract says Non-refundable then its Non-refundable. Use the money to keep you going until you can re-fill the space.

Are you sure she didn't just want your reg number so she can claim on it???

rickysmiths
30-05-2012, 10:16 AM
As long as you have made it clear it is non refundable if the place isn't taken up then no you don't refund it.

HELEN10
30-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Would not see any need to phone your insurance. Did she sign a form stating it was non refundable if so then its not?