PDA

View Full Version : Quick help needed!

moogster1a
30-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Had a lady turn up at my doorstep last night wanting just after school for her 11 year old son.
The school is 2 minutes walk, but not the one I pick up from. She said he'd walk up by himself.
The thing is, after thinking about it, I've realised that as his school finishes 20 mins. before my pick up school, by the time I've got back home, he'll have been outside my house for at least 45 mins.
TBH, I now think I don't really want an 11 year old who she described as "boisterous, but I'll make sure he behaves for you".
Should I say I've found out insurance won't cover me for him being on his own?
I feel a bit mean as I know there's no one else, but really wish I hadn't said yes.
WWYD?

rickysmiths
30-05-2012, 07:22 AM
I think you would be more than justified to ring her today and say you have reconsidered having caught you a bit on the hop and that you are very sorry but it just won't be possible to help her because it doesn't fit into what you are currently doing.

wendywu
30-05-2012, 07:58 AM
He cannot stand on your door step for 45 min:eek:

What would he do in bad weather,wind and rain , snow etc.:panic:

You need to phone and tell her that it does not fit in with your routine. :panic:

caz3007
30-05-2012, 08:03 AM
He cannot stand on your door step for 45 min:eek:

What would he do in bad weather,wind and rain , snow etc.:panic:

You need to phone and tell her that it does not fit in with your routine. :panic:

I agree, if he is difficult he could be up to all sorts whilst waiting for you to get home. You need to ring and say you have thought about the situation and its not going to work

JCrakers
30-05-2012, 08:31 AM
I would just say its not going to fit in with you. A couple of years ago I had an 11/12 yr old walk from secondary school but by the time he arrived at my house at 4pm I was in. I also had his 8yr old sister and they were lovely children.

He only came for about a year and then he was old enough just to go home.

I do find older children very hard work and at 11yrs old if he is boisterous then I'd have to think about how that would affect me and the other children.
As children get older and especially new children they do get harder to discipline.

moogster1a
30-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Ok, Thanks for the advise. I should have thought more rather than saying yes.
Now, who's going to 'phone her for me?!!

Chimps Childminding
30-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Ok, Thanks for the advise. I should have thought more rather than saying yes.
Now, who's going to 'phone her for me?!!

Not me I'm far too chicken :blush: I would just explain she caught you on the hop and having had time to think about it it just isn't practical!! I can't see an 11 year old waiting for 45 mins for you to get back - they would get bored and wander off!!!