PDA

View Full Version : 5 days a week for teacher?

lucyD
29-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I am trying to think ahead girls....lady coming to see me who is teacher wanting 5 days a week..thats all I know so far...Obviously she prob wont need me in hols...what do I do? I really want this contract as have NO mindees as I am new......help.Shall I just accept it will be term time only?
I am getting so excited...........sooooooooooooo need this!!

Any tips on selling myself to teachers...my mum was one (good start) what are you experiences on how they are & what they want! My mum is a PITA but guess they aren't all like that.....she sounds lovely!! :clapping:

ziggy
29-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I have a teacher and have term time only contract

Stapleton83
29-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I am trying to think ahead girls....lady coming to see me who is teacher wanting 5 days a week..thats all I know so far...Obviously she prob wont need me in hols...what do I do? I really want this contract as have NO mindees as I am new......help.Shall I just accept it will be term time only?
I am getting so excited...........sooooooooooooo need this!!

Any tips on selling myself to teachers...my mum was one (good start) what are you experiences on how they are & what they want! My mum is a PITA but guess they aren't all like that.....she sounds lovely!! :clapping:

Good luck, I have a teacher and she is lovely. I have a term time only contract with her and don't charge for holidays.

I would say you can be flexible in terms of later evenings if it's parents evening or similar. My mindee stays for tea on those days and I do silly things like wash his packing up box up to try and make mum's life as easy as possible. fingers crossed x

EmmaReed84
29-05-2012, 09:47 AM
If it was me, I would do a TTO only contract at a slightly higher rate, but would annualise my fee so I would still get paid each month regardless. Don't think I could handle a huge drop in wage during the summer hols :panic:

lucyD
29-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Thank you soooooooooo much. When you say charge a higher hourly fee do you mean just a bit. My rate is £3.75 so would you say £4 or more??

eddie
29-05-2012, 11:59 AM
I have two teachers and charge the same hourly rate as for others. I don't charge a retainer for school holidays as I prefer not to work then. I work out the fees by hourly fee x 38 weeks then divide by 12 to spread the payment over the whole year so my payment is the same each month. Hope that made sense to you like it did in my head!:laughing:

sarahjane
29-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I have two teachers and charge the same hourly rate as for others. I don't charge a retainer for school holidays as I prefer not to work then. I work out the fees by hourly fee x 38 weeks then divide by 12 to spread the payment over the whole year so my payment is the same each month. Hope that made sense to you like it did in my head!:laughing:

This is how I used to do it, get the school term dates and work out the rate for the whole year, then divide by 12 so you get the same amount each month. When I started I only did term time contracts so I could spend the holidays with my children, as they've got older I've had to add in all year contracts for various reasons but try to keep these to a minimum. I didn't charge an enhanced rate as I wasn't available in the holidays.

miffy
29-05-2012, 12:22 PM
It really depends what you want to do - if you are happy to work tto then you could either charge the same hourly rate as usual or charge an enhanced rate to make up for the gap in income.

If you intend to be open for business all year round then you could charge a retainer for holiday weeks (usually about half fee) or again build this into your hourly rate and charge tto - the bonus for teachers is they are usually happier if they feel they are only paying for time used, even if it's at a higher rate.

Miffy xx

lucyD
29-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Think I prefer the idea of a slightly higher hourly rate spread over the year. I just dont want to lose this one over money as its a good contract so will see what her reaction is. TBH I would accept just charging her for what she uses as I am not working at the moment but dont want to sell myself short if she is perfectly happy to pay.. will play it by ear I think. I take it you include bank hols when you average it out over the year?

EmmaReed84
29-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Having a think about this this morning and if it were me (guessing it is about an 8 hour day) I would charge a flat rate £35 per day.

That would be £175 per week times 39 weeks is £6825 then divide that by 12 months £568.75 a month. If you invoice monthly there may be some months parent has to pay £875 in a 5 week month and other months where you get nothing at all.

It all comes down to you and parent really, what works for you both. Hope it all goes well x

EmmaReed84
29-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I am available to work BH so do charge as normal if they do not require care, however as it is BH I do charge time and a half if they do use the day.

lucyD
29-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Having a think about this this morning and if it were me (guessing it is about an 8 hour day) I would charge a flat rate £35 per day.

That would be £175 per week times 39 weeks is £6825 then divide that by 12 months £568.75 a month. If you invoice monthly there may be some months parent has to pay £875 in a 5 week month and other months where you get nothing at all.

It all comes down to you and parent really, what works for you both. Hope it all goes well x

Thank you so much for that Emma....thats I will do!!!!! & charge for BH, Hopefully she will be fine with that. Let you know what happens x

mrs c
29-05-2012, 01:43 PM
One thing to bear in mind - if you are thinking of charging a daily flat rate be aware that not all teachers do around an eight hour day. I have one mum who likes to stay at school to do all her prep. I have the lo 9 hours each day and one day she has to stay at school for a staff meeting and then I can work a 10 hour day.

lucyD
29-05-2012, 04:13 PM
One thing to bear in mind - if you are thinking of charging a daily flat rate be aware that not all teachers do around an eight hour day. I have one mum who likes to stay at school to do all her prep. I have the lo 9 hours each day and one day she has to stay at school for a staff meeting and then I can work a 10 hour day.

Yes that is true, could a say to her that its £35 for an 8 hr day but anything over that is then my charged per hour?

mama2three
29-05-2012, 04:21 PM

I have the children of 2 teachers , both boys are with me for 10 hour days 730-530 - imo teachers rarely finish at the end of school , there are always meetings , prep , revision sessions - and the commuting on top. around 5 or 6 times a year there are also very late parents evenings which I can cover til 9pm or so.

EmmaReed84
29-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I have the children of 2 teachers , both boys are with me for 10 hour days 730-530 - imo teachers rarely finish at the end of school , there are always meetings , prep , revision sessions - and the commuting on top. around 5 or 6 times a year there are also very late parents evenings which I can cover til 9pm or so.

As I don't have any teachers I am just guessing.

But I think what I would do then based on this info is say charge £50 a day for up to 10 hours. If they are going to be very very late say 5-6 times per year I would say that there is no extra cost for X number of day really late IYSWIM. So agree maybe 5 very late nights and any more is chargable extra.

Or charge £45 a day for 10 hours, any over that at £5 per hour... I guess it all depends on circumstances. Just because Mum is ateacher, perhaps Dad may collect earlier so you may not need to do the really late nights.

I guess the best thing would be to get all the facts about what care is required, calculate what you want to do, then get back to her rather than make a snap calculation and regret it later... like I did :blush:

alwaysright
29-05-2012, 08:13 PM
i have one teachers child at the moment and have had some in the past, i charge half fees retainers for school holidays and find teachers almost always use a childminder because of this, as if they were in a nursery they would still get charged full fees for the fourteen weeks holidays

lucyD
29-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone!! Will see what she wants & then say I will get back to her but this gives me a good basis to work out how to charge. Hopefully she is aware of these sorts of things & is happy to pay retainer or a higher charge.
I can then see exactly how many hrs she wants & go from there.......... fingers crossed. I have dreamed of contracts like this for months......hope its meant to be :clapping: