PDA

View Full Version : Another 'good Idea' from the government

Penny1959
29-05-2012, 08:08 AM
I am opsting here as although not directly about the deregulation idea - it is linked and needs to be considered with the agency idea

Please look at the following

http://ht.ly/bcXIR

In particular

New opportunities
The Community Right to Challenge provisions in the Localism Act 2011 will enable
voluntary and community bodies, local authority employees that wish to form a public
service mutual6 to deliver the service, and parish councils to express an interest in
running a local authority service. The Community Right to Challenge provisions are
expected to come into effect on 27 June 2012, subject to parliamentary approval. Draft
Statutory Guidance on the Community Right to Challenge is available at:
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/localgovernment/righttochallengestatguidanc
e. When the provisions come into force, local authorities will have to consider
expressions of interest and, where they accept them, run a procurement exercise for the
service. The Right will hand the initiative to groups with good ideas about how services
can be run differently or better, ensure their ideas get a fair hearing, and that they get the
time they need to prepare effective bids for services.
5 Sure Start Children’s Centre Statutory Guidance:
http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1808&ext
ernal=no&menu=1
6 A public service mutual is an organisation which has left the public sector (also known as (‘spinning out’)
but continues to deliver public services. Further information is available from the Mutuals Information
Service at http://mutuals.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/what.
The Right will provide parents and communities with new opportunities to:
􀂃 form their own community body and express an interest in running a local
children’s centre or a particular children’s centre service themselves;
􀂃 link up with local community organisations who are interested in broadening their
activities and expressing an interest in running a children’s centre or a particular
children’s centre service; or
􀂃 link up with local authority employees who are interested in forming a public
service mutual and express an interest in running a children’s centre or a
particular children’s centre service.

Now I know I sometimes get my facts muddled - and sometimes read something quickly and miss a vital sentence BUT does this mean that IF we end up with the agency model we could end up being governern by a CC that is run by parents or a mixed community group?

How do you read it?

Another piece of the puzzle - maybe?

Penny :)

rickysmiths
29-05-2012, 08:21 AM
I have read it that way Penny. Also that if a group of interested Childminders got together they could possibly control a CC. Not sure how that would leave the Manager or we would just bid to run the Agency part of it ourselves?

Penny1959
29-05-2012, 08:41 AM
I have read it that way Penny. Also that if a group of interested Childminders got together they could possibly control a CC. Not sure how that would leave the Manager or we would just bid to run the Agency part of it ourselves?

Ahead of you RS

So what we need to do is get together and put together a tender for the CC's - then each of us put in the same tender to our own LA's.

That way - we would be able to run the 'agency' OUR WAY

The Juggler
29-05-2012, 01:38 PM
I am opsting here as although not directly about the deregulation idea - it is linked and needs to be considered with the agency idea

Please look at the following

http://ht.ly/bcXIR

In particular

New opportunities
The Community Right to Challenge provisions in the Localism Act 2011 will enable
voluntary and community bodies, local authority employees that wish to form a public
service mutual6 to deliver the service, and parish councils to express an interest in
running a local authority service. The Community Right to Challenge provisions are
expected to come into effect on 27 June 2012, subject to parliamentary approval. Draft
Statutory Guidance on the Community Right to Challenge is available at:
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/localgovernment/righttochallengestatguidanc
e. When the provisions come into force, local authorities will have to consider
expressions of interest and, where they accept them, run a procurement exercise for the
service. The Right will hand the initiative to groups with good ideas about how services
can be run differently or better, ensure their ideas get a fair hearing, and that they get the
time they need to prepare effective bids for services.
5 Sure Start Children’s Centre Statutory Guidance:
http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1808&ext
ernal=no&menu=1
6 A public service mutual is an organisation which has left the public sector (also known as (‘spinning out’)
but continues to deliver public services. Further information is available from the Mutuals Information
Service at http://mutuals.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/what.
The Right will provide parents and communities with new opportunities to:
�� form their own community body and express an interest in running a local
children’s centre or a particular children’s centre service themselves;
�� link up with local community organisations who are interested in broadening their
activities and expressing an interest in running a children’s centre or a particular
children’s centre service; or
�� link up with local authority employees who are interested in forming a public
service mutual and express an interest in running a children’s centre or a
particular children’s centre service.

Now I know I sometimes get my facts muddled - and sometimes read something quickly and miss a vital sentence BUT does this mean that IF we end up with the agency model we could end up being governern by a CC that is run by parents or a mixed community group?

How do you read it?

Another piece of the puzzle - maybe?

I don't see how they can enforce anyone to join a particular agency unless they make it a condition of registration that you join one?

However, if this scenario happened then I think Penny it is for this very reason that its really important there is minder representation on every cc advisory board. My cc is so behind childminders. I joined the board before it opened up - i have no idea whether we just have a fab manager and headteacher or whether they understand more about CM becuase I'm on the board - I'd like to believe it's a mixture of the both actually.

I think cc managers will be the next CM network leads regardless of deregulation going ahead because the way our DO's are disappearing there will be no-one else to run the networks - unless I can carve myself a little job at our centre doing just that = which btw I would love :D

But joking aside, it would be awful that a cc with a manager who understands nothing about CM'ing (as many do not) or a group of parents and other community members who likewise have no clue - would be the ones dealing with parents and ofsted on our behalf and us havign to pay for the privilege of them doing so :angry:

Penny1959
29-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't see how they can enforce anyone to join a particular agency unless they make it a condition of registration that you join one?

However, if this scenario happened then I think Penny it is for this very reason that its really important there is minder representation on every cc advisory board. My cc is so behind childminders. I joined the board before it opened up - i have no idea whether we just have a fab manager and headteacher or whether they understand more about CM becuase I'm on the board - I'd like to believe it's a mixture of the both actually.

I think cc managers will be the next CM network leads regardless of deregulation going ahead because the way our DO's are disappearing there will be no-one else to run the networks - unless I can carve myself a little job at our centre doing just that = which btw I would love :D

But joking aside, it would be awful that a cc with a manager who understands nothing about CM'ing (as many do not) or a group of parents and other community members who likewise have no clue - would be the ones dealing with parents and ofsted on our behalf and us havign to pay for the privilege of them doing so :angry:

I think that is a very good suggestion Juggler - and one that we all should look into.

And yes it would be terrible if last paragraph came a realaity

miffy
29-05-2012, 08:25 PM

That is what I was thinking as I read the document - talk about out of the frying pan into the fire! :eek:

Miffy xx