PDA

View Full Version : Teeth brushing

LittleLegsCM
29-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Do your morning schoolies brush their teeth before they arrive to you or while they are at yours?

Bridey
29-05-2012, 06:55 AM
The two brothers who eat breakfast brush here. It was my suggestion as their parent supplys breakfast and they eat a Frube every day ... all that sugar! :eek:

miffy
29-05-2012, 07:01 AM
At home but then I don't give breakfast

Miffy xx

LittleLegsCM
29-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I have 2 that have breakfast here (either cereal or egg waffles with fruit & a bit of honey) so they brush their teeth here. To be completely honest, it was never discussed and I hadn't even thought of it until they turned up a few days after their first week with their brushes/paste.

The pot with their bits in sits on the counter in the utility next to the sink. As soon as they finish their breakfast I ask them to go brush their teeth. I help the younger one but the eldest I leave to do it himself ( I thought at 9yo, that would be ok) but this morning mum made a point of asking me to make sure he brushed them properly as the past few months they have started 'yellowing'. It seemed like she was digging at me as they've only been with me 2 months!

She obviously didn't like being told the cost of me caring for the
Next weds (she's the same one who thought I'd take them out for the day, for nothing!) lol x

leeloo1
29-05-2012, 08:28 AM
I heard recently that we should brush our teeth before eating - not after. As eating weakens the enamel and then brushing it will rub bits away. You should brush before eating to strengthen teeth against the 'attack' of the food!

It completely shocked me as I'd always done the opposite. I'll see if I can find any more information on it...

Edited to add:
Ok, if you google 'brush teeth before or after eating' then every site comes up recommending leaving an hour between eating and brushing'. The NHS site (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhealth/Pages/Teethcleaningguide.aspx) says:

'Brush your teeth for at least two minutes in the morning before breakfast and last thing at night before you go to bed.

Never brush your teeth straight after a meal as it can damage your teeth, especially if you've had fruit, fizzy drinks, wine or any other food that contains acid.

This is because tooth enamel is softened by the acid and can be worn away by brushing. Instead, wait an hour after a meal before brushing your teeth to give your saliva chance to neutralise the acid.'

Hope that helps