PDA

View Full Version : do i want to become accredited??? can someone tell me what it involves :)

mrs robbie williams
29-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Hi everyone, my 18m mindees mum was talking yesterday about putting lo's name down for nursery when she gets the 15 free hours, shewill stay with me for the three days then nursery the other 2, it got me thinking am i right in saying if i am accredited i can offer the free 15hrs and claim them back from government? is it worth me doing it? what extra paperwork does it involve and do i have to be outstanding to be accredited? thanks in advance xx

blue bear
29-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Accredited childminders can offer the nursery funding and in my area also the funding for 2 year olds.
The process to become accredited varies in each county so best contact your d/o about it.
Here you need a good. Certain policies, food and hygiene certificate plus safe guarding certificate, attend 4 week training course and complete homework from that.
Once accredited apart from a form to get your money the paperwork is the same.

Yes it's worth it because it helps retain business and gives parents a real choice.

Penny1959
29-05-2012, 07:42 AM
AS Fi Fi has said it will depend on your LA

Some have ccf networks, some have their own methods - which vary greatly.

Most insist on a level 3 - although some will accept you if currently doing a level 3.

Most require a good ofsted grade as minimum

In Worcestershire - they have gone from the ccf one a few years ago to using FECCERS to now just needing a good / outstanding grade and a level 3.

The new code of practice for the FE is due out NOW and once LA's get their head round it all - some may change their criteria.

Penny :)

TooEarlyForGin?
29-05-2012, 07:45 AM
I have just become accredited with Essex this year, but you will find every LA operates differently and I think it helps if you have a good, supportive DW.

I had to have a good or outstanding OFSTED grade and a green RAG. I had to have an NVQ3, first aid, safeguarding and all the other bits you usually have. I had to fill in quite a lot of paperwork to join the local childminding network then some more to be accredited, then sign a contract with the LA on the rules of how I can deliver the free hours. I haven't been paid yet, which is very frustrating, but this apparently is because its my first term. I have to attend 2 cluster meeting, do at least 12 hours training and some on line modules during the year. I am inspected by the local authority more often and have found they do send more paperwork for me to fill in than I did before.

I am currently not sure whether it has been worth it as the 3 children I have done it for are still sharing me with a nursery (on different days) so have cut their hours with me. 1 is going to school in September and due to personal problems 1 is going to stop using me over the school holidays as can't afford to pay me, which isn't what I did it for. I am hoping that more 2 yo's will be able to access it as this will help me more.

Contact you local DW and find out what will be involved for you and also what the payment is in your area as it might be lower than you charge and you are not allowed to top up.

lozzy23
29-05-2012, 07:47 AM
I recently became accredited. I had 4 x 2hr meetings with my DO, who went through all my paperwork - planning, policies, risk assessments, training certificates etc. I completed the NCMA Children come first quality standards form. I actually enjoyed the experience and have all the information in my personal development file, I also got to know my DO better and now have the confidence to ask her anything.

In my area you have to have a good or above grading, be trained up to NVQ level 3 and show you are following the Statutory Guidelines.

Extra paperwork - a form parents sign each term to confirm the amount of hours they will be claiming for. As fi fi said, it gives parents a choice, my two3 year old mindees use a pre-school for 3 sessions and myself for 2 sessions.

mrs robbie williams
29-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I dont have a DO, i had an experienced mindee shadow me for the first year but then was signed off. The only contact i have now is with ofsted it i need it :( any advice i need i get from here :D

janet L
29-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Hi i have just recently joined a network which lets me access government funding for 2yr olds from disadvantaged families. for this you need a good or outstanding grade and a green or dark green RAG rating also a level 4 qualification with committment to work for level 5 within 6 months of signing up. To receive the 3 and 4yr old funding its as above but only requires a level 3. we also need to have in place a buisness bank account, a welcom/prospectus pack, a brouchure and a 3 year business plan ..I am struggling with my business paln so any info or help would be massively appreciated. Its amazing that every area is so different

rickysmiths
30-05-2012, 07:38 AM
I dont have a DO, i had an experienced mindee shadow me for the first year but then was signed off. The only contact i have now is with ofsted it i need it :( any advice i need i get from here :D

Even if you don't have a DO there must be an Early Years Dept at your Local Authority. Ring your local Family Information Service they will probably be able to give you the contact you need.

Rubybubbles
30-05-2012, 09:52 AM
I recently became accredited. I had 4 x 2hr meetings with my DO, who went through all my paperwork - planning, policies, risk assessments, training certificates etc. I completed the NCMA Children come first quality standards form. I actually enjoyed the experience and have all the information in my personal development file, I also got to know my DO better and now have the confidence to ask her anything.

In my area you have to have a good or above grading, be trained up to NVQ level 3 and show you are following the Statutory Guidelines.

Extra paperwork - a form parents sign each term to confirm the amount of hours they will be claiming for. As fi fi said, it gives parents a choice, my two3 year old mindees use a pre-school for 3 sessions and myself for 2 sessions.

I went for a meeting last night and in Hampshire this is what we were told we would do. We have to apply to join the Children come first network first though, then if approved as above. TBH after all the talk on 2yr funding and 3-4yr preschool places. I am looking into it more than ever. I currently don't have any families that would get the 2yr funding or 3-4 funding but better to have it in place for if someone does come along (I also have 2 days a week 1 space, with the changes going to 2 days :thumbsup:)