PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid??

LittleLegsCM
28-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Ok, I may just be being paranoid and thinking into this the wrong way but I *think* one of my parents want me to look after her 2 boys for the day for free!! (please bare in mind I was running extremely late this morning, they get here at 7- I woke up at 6.50! :blush:)

So what do you think:
Last week, mum asked if I could have the boys 1 day during the holidays to take them out. She said any day was fine and that I could decide as she wasn't working or anything just thought it would be nice for them to go out.
That evening I text her like I said I would just saying I had my other schoolie on the weds 8-3 and as her schoolie gets on really well with him, did she want to do the same day/hours? (nothing to do with the fact it would mean I still get the rest of the week off ;) lol) but didn't get a reply & forgt to ask her on Friday.

This morning I mentioned it again and asked if the weds was ok and whether the hours were ok etc. her reply: "oh I don't actually need any hours I just thought it would be nice for you to take them out. I can come too if it's easier?" I was still half asleep and didn't think at the time so just said "er, yeah, ok" but now I'm thinking I may have just messed up! Lol.

Obviously I don't want to treat her like an idiot and say something like you do realise you'll be paying me but at the same time I don't want her to think I'm working for nothing, especially when her 2 aren't exactly the easiest to work with! :angry:

Am I reading it wrong??

loocyloo
28-05-2012, 07:28 AM
umm, does sound like she thinks you want to spend your time with her children for nothing.

could you give her a 'holiday' invoice? charging her for the day?

good luck x

Bridey
28-05-2012, 07:31 AM
I would write her a letter to confirm your availability ... and your fee! Just say in the letter that if she would like to proceed then you will draw up a contract for her.

LittleLegsCM
28-05-2012, 07:48 AM
She does pay a retainer for the holidays but it was made clear when they came to sign contracts that any days they have during the holidays, fees would be due to add it up to the full rate. I even checked with my husband before he left for work this morning (as luckily he was there when they signed everything) and he agreed it was completely clear and that the mum & dad both confirmed they understood. But her wording makes me think otherwise AND I'm still nonethewiser as to what hours I'll be working as she didn't say whether the 8-3 was ok or what hours she was expecting!

Gosh, I hate waking up late and having to rush, it gets me in trouble!! Lol x

Mouse
28-05-2012, 08:05 AM
I would make up a holiday booking form and give it to her when she comes to collect the children.

Put on it something like:

Holiday Booking Form

I confirm that I wish to book my child/children in for the following care. I understand that all fees are due at the time of booking and no days are booked until the fee is paid. Once paid, the fee is non-refundable unless the setting closes unexpectedly.

Name/s of child/ren:
Date: Wednesday
Times: 8am-3pm
Addition fee: £x
Due: on booking

Signed: parent.

Tell her it's your standard form you use when parents want to book extra days :thumbsup:

alwaysright
28-05-2012, 08:15 AM
why would she think you'd like to take her two children out for a day for free if she isnt working :mad: i'd say let her take her own children out and spend her on money on them!!
i would clarify on pick up, ask if she wants them to come on wednesday or not, if she says yes then say you do know its £xx each

BucksCM
28-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Depending on how well you get on, I would just say later that why pay me for the day and come with me when she can take her own children out on her own??! Seems a bit silly? Just blame it on waking up early and not quite understanding what she was getting at...you want to pay me for the day and still come along??

LittleLegsCM
28-05-2012, 08:31 AM
why would she think you'd like to take her two children out for a day for free if she isnt working :mad: i'd say let her take her own children out and spend her on money on them!!
i would clarify on pick up, ask if she wants them to come on wednesday or not, if she says yes then say you do know its £xx each

Exactly my thought to be honest. The eldest does 4 hours with me on a Wednesday and the youngest does 5 hours so it's gonna cost her just under £25 just on those hours (taking the eldest to 5 hours as well) you could easily plan a nice family day out on that if you were sensible.
I would personally much rather spend that on my family than someone else!

stargazer1
28-05-2012, 08:39 AM
How awkward! Ive just found myself in the same situation to be honest! I have a little one on a Thurs from 11.30 til 4.30. Mum works in school so normally will pay retainer but has asked me to have LO next Thurs so she can have a day shopping. LO also has a 5 yr old sis I normally have after school for an hr. Mum asked if I would have the two girls next Thurs from 10-4. Not a prob for me but she worded it to older one "would you like to come and play in the holidays?" Kids were excited. But worked out its going to cost her £42 just for her to go shopping for the day! She could have a day out doing something nice with the girls for that. So not I am wondering whether she thinks I am going to do the older one for nothing as she thinks she is "coming to play?" So I am going to give invoice this week as normal (I give the invoices a week in advance) and hope that she either cancels if she thinks its too much or is prepared to pay. TBH she should be the one embarrassed hun, we arent running a charity here!! :)

snufflepuff
28-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Hmm yes it does sound like she's not expecting to pay! In which case, how rude!
I think in your situation I'd draw up a holiday booking form with all the details and ask her to sign it...just say you've always used the booking form for holidays or something. If she was expecting it for free she will be pretty embarrassed, lol!

Tealady
28-05-2012, 01:25 PM
How awkward! Ive just found myself in the same situation to be honest! I have a little one on a Thurs from 11.30 til 4.30. Mum works in school so normally will pay retainer but has asked me to have LO next Thurs so she can have a day shopping. LO also has a 5 yr old sis I normally have after school for an hr. Mum asked if I would have the two girls next Thurs from 10-4. Not a prob for me but she worded it to older one "would you like to come and play in the holidays?" Kids were excited. But worked out its going to cost her £42 just for her to go shopping for the day! She could have a day out doing something nice with the girls for that. So not I am wondering whether she thinks I am going to do the older one for nothing as she thinks she is "coming to play?" So I am going to give invoice this week as normal (I give the invoices a week in advance) and hope that she either cancels if she thinks its too much or is prepared to pay. TBH she should be the one embarrassed hun, we arent running a charity here!! :)

After yesterday's escapades in Brantano, if I had no support locally and needed to get shopping done, then if I could afford the £42 I would pay it! (bored 2.5 year old son, big shop, long aisles....need I say more!)
How old is the older one? I think "coming to play" sounds nicer than "mummy's going to bring you here in the hoidays"
Hope she was expecting to pay or as you say, just cancels

stargazer1
28-05-2012, 01:34 PM
After yesterday's escapades in Brantano, if I had no support locally and needed to get shopping done, then if I could afford the £42 I would pay it! (bored 2.5 year old son, big shop, long aisles....need I say more!)
How old is the older one? I think "coming to play" sounds nicer than "mummy's going to bring you here in the hoidays"
Hope she was expecting to pay or as you say, just cancels

I think you're right there, it does sound nicer doesnt it. Shes 5. Im just going to send invoice and see what happens. I just know what my hubby is like, if I said I wasgoing to pay someone £42 and then go shopping, he would have my guts for garters! But then I agree, shopping with kids can be a nightmare and its nice sometimes to have a breajk to yourself.

Ripeberry
28-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Sorry, but the mum sounds rude! :mad: