PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE! Complaint :(

Littlebiffa
27-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi all,

I was just after a bit of advice if at all possible please. I am sorry but although I will try to keep it as short as possible I am afraid it won't be!!

I looked after a 12month old from Feb 2011 - Oct 2011 every other friday. Everything was fine although the parents messed me about quite a bit with not paying in time, not turning up, being late to collect etc. Now I was more than reasonable with them and things finally ended when their cat got run over, they had a huge vets bill and couldn't afford me anymore. It wasn't really a problem for them as neither of them work - they just wanted a day off a week to go shopping etc.
Anyway, I asked them to pay the last days fees as their son was ill and didn't attend. They said they would come round with the money but never did so i arranged to meet them up the local school at pick up time when I would give them the child's learning journal and they would pay me. They never showed up.
I decided to just leave it - was really not worth the fight for £30. Anyway, I have not heard a jot from them until the mother messaged me on facebook of all places yesterday and asked me to post her sons learning journal etc. She is not a friend on facebook but has obviously found me somehow. I was quite angry as I have tried hard to be reasonable and the rudeness just astounds me! I replied that if she paid me what she owes then she can come and collect the learning journal etc. I am not paying to post it as have already lost money. I know that was the wrong thing to say but in the heat of the moment I was feeling really mad. Anyway, she has gone off on one saying that she owes me nothing and then saying that I am lucky she hasn't reported me because of the state her son came home in the last time I had him.
I have absolutely no idea what she is talking about - everything was fine but she is saying that I never gave her any reciepts (I did) and that her son wasn't looked after properly etc. I am so upset about it all as I wasn't aware of any issues at all and they seemed perfectly happy with my care and often wanted extra dates here and there.
She has said she is going to take it further and although I know that she has nothing to substantiate these claims and I have done nothing wrong I am still very very stressed about it all. I am just about to message her back to say that I will not stop her collecting the learning journal etc if she wants them but that I am unsure whether to mention the accusations. I have told her to go ahead and report me if she feels it is necessary but I am worried that if I don't mention it at all in the message then it is almost like I am guilty.
Does this make any sense at all? My head feels all tired and stressed out at the moment. I am just a normal, friendly person trying my hardest to earn a little bit of money whilst my kids are young but I am being made to feel like a tyrant!
Has anyone any advice for me please? I just don't know what to do anymore - I am on the verge of giving up childminding as this is the 2nd lot of grief I have had - not about my level of care - another parent messing me around money wise and I haven't had very many children if that makes sense!

Thanks so much if you have made it to the end of this post!! It feels better just to have got it off my chest.

xx

blue bear
27-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm sure some one else will come along with more experience.

Write out and/print off all the messages sent and received. Call ofsted and put them in the picture, this is more about the money so they will not be interested but tell the,tomorrow in case she does follow through on her threat to report you.

Don't send any more messages, send her a letter, state you are happy for her to collect lj at xx time, say how you had arranged to meet at x but was disappointed she had not turned up as you wanted to say a proper goodbye.
As a gesture of good will you are willing to waive the fees for the day lo was sick or state how much she lwes tou and why and am looking forward to seeing her on the day she collects lj.

You are sorry she feels she needs to bring up concerns she has not voiced before, you will be making ofsted aware of her complaint and give her the number to contact them herself.

Remain professional, do not let her bully you.

caz3007
27-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Am I right in saying the child stopped coming to you in October, then I am sure Ofsted would wonder why she had left it so long to put in a complaint if she did.

Personally I think I would give her the LJ and just be done with it x

sarah707
27-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Stop sending texts / facebook messages - now is the time to get professional and write a letter.

Dear xx

Thank you for your message. I am sorry we missed each other at school - I had little one's LJ with me and was intending to give it to you. I am sure you will be pleased with it, all the photos show what a wonderful time he had with us and you will see that he is progressing very well.

I am very surprised that you feel you want to complain about me and the service I provided for you and little one. I work to the very highest standards and only ever offer a loving, caring home from home environment for the children in my care.

However, if you want to go ahead I have a complaints procedure you can follow and I have included a copy of my procedure and complaints form with this letter. If you wish to make a complaint directly to Ofsted that is of course your right. You can contact them on 0300 123 1231.

I will be contacting Ofsted tomorrow morning to let them know that we are in the middle of a payment dispute related to little one's last day with me (state the date and amount owed) so they are aware of the background circumstances to our current discussions.

Please do come and collect little one's Learning Journey booklet I am sure you will be delighted with it. I am normally at home xxx

I wish you and little one all the best for the future.

Yours etc.

Hth :D

rickysmiths
27-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Excellent advise from Sarah and that comes from a cm who had to similar money driven Complaints made about me to Ofsted last year.

The first thing I did was to ring Ofsted and tell them the background of the complaint.

Neither was upheld.

It sounds to me that the LJ has for some reason become an issue. Would the child be old enough to be able to get 3yr funding? Do you think they have started at a pre school who is asking for and LJ. Though their won't be a massive amount for 20 days. I would advise you keep a copy of it in case they do make a complaint about care.

Littlebiffa
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Sorry everyone, thank you for all your replies - I didn't think this had actually posted as I couldn't find it anywhere after I submitted it!

I have tried to remain professional - I didn't like the fact that she contacted me through facebook and asked her to come round so that we could discuss it. She has refused and so I have simply told her she can collect the lj tomorrow.

I phoned Ofsted to make them aware of the situation and as far as I am aware they have not heard anything from her so far. I am pretty sure it is just an empty threat but better be safe than sorry.

I'm still gutted that things had to come to this and to be honest last week I was really upset and panicking that one person not wanting to pay could technically ruin my whole business. I have started to use my common sense now and realised that it is not worth worrying about. Hopefully after tomorrow I will not hear from them again. The child is now 2 and has just started at a new preschool I believe so I am certain that is why they want the learning journey after all this time.

I appreciate all of your help even if I didn't see it at the time!