PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed

JCrakers
27-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Its times like this that I find myself really disappointed. I signed the petition and joined it with Facebook so all my (so called) friends could sign it to.
My dad and my brother did, that's it....:mad: not one of my friends even bothered probably because it doesnt affect them.
My hairdresser even came round on weds eve, she had asked me a few months ago about childcare but in the end her mum stepped in, she mentioned the petition link on facebook but hasn't even signed it.

I emailed the LA on thursday morning, no response and I also emailed the leader of the local childminding group, no response. I know it's only been a couple of days but usually they both reply quickly.

I'm cross :mad:

Penny1959
27-05-2012, 05:12 AM
It is so hard when you are personally trying to reach as many people as possible - and people do respond.

The only thing we can do is keep on putting the link and telling people - I think we will find as more people sign others will follow.

Of course we also have to realise that some never sign petitions / some are against the petition and think deregulation would be good / some childminders are planning on resigning before their next inspection because retirement age or had enough of all the changes ... and so on.

However we are doing really well and we have lots of 'experts' backing us as well as parents of the children and past childminders.

Keep on trying - your efforts will pay off in the end

Penny :)

Penny1959
27-05-2012, 05:13 AM
It is so hard when you are personally trying to reach as many people as possible - and people do not respond.

The only thing we can do is keep on putting the link and telling people - I think we will find as more people sign others will follow.

Of course we also have to realise that some never sign petitions / some are against the petition and think deregulation would be good / some childminders are planning on resigning before their next inspection because retirement age or had enough of all the changes ... and so on.

However we are doing really well and we have lots of 'experts' backing us as well as parents of the children and past childminders.

Keep on trying - your efforts will pay off in the end

Penny :)

uf353432
27-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Apparently it can take up to 7 exposures of something before people 'act' so continue to mention and bend peoples ears. People might have all the right intentions so don't assume that they won't - they may have gotten distracted on route. But they also may have spoken to someone else about it and they may have signed the petition on first sight. We are in this for the long term - don't be dissappointed just be shameless in reminding them about it - change the way in which you give information - so if you told them about ,it, facebook them - next give them a campaign leaflet, then if that fails try another method.

You are doing an amazing job - keep going and turn that negative dissappointment into positive action xx

loocyloo
27-05-2012, 07:52 AM
i sent an email to about 100 people ... i know 4 people have signed it, as they have emailed me about it/to chat. one girl is very active in many child related fields (just not minding!) and has put it on her facebook page.

yet, not a word from anyone else.

i sent another individual email last night to several childminders where i used to live, and within my 'chat' asked if they had got my email ? !!! i think that some childminders just 'see' no more ofsted and haven't actually thought about how that might affect us :(

Pipsqueak
27-05-2012, 08:03 AM
yep - am with you on that... having been a support minder for a long time I have learnt to take it all with a pinch of salt though.

I have sent the petition link to all and sundry...

I have to say - the apathy is astounding

watgem
27-05-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm glad its not just me I've posted it on fb, emailed all my contacts, put it on a newsletter and told people verbally, most disappointing for me has been fellow CM's lack of response-well I will just keep on trying:)

debratina
27-05-2012, 03:32 PM
me too :panic:
going to take some leaflets to group tomorrow

Helcatt
27-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I know what you mean, I have managed to get my sister and one client to sign

So frustrating.

Might print out some leaflets and start handing out too

HX

Mouse
27-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I've had a better response from non-childminders than I have from other minders :rolleyes:

Ripeberry
27-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I've found that as well. Other minders who don't use this Forum don't seem to have a clue what's going on. :rolleyes:

Helcatt
28-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I've found that as well. Other minders who don't use this Forum don't seem to have a clue what's going on. :rolleyes:

A lot of people I have spoken to are blissfully unaware and look at me like I am insane

A few of the "not so good" ones are happy to not have Ofsted round again, ut we all know why that is

If it goes under the agency approach, we just have to have a massive re-think, maybe we will become a nursery, with just three workers and 6 kids....

HX

georgie456
28-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I have managed to get about 10 people to sign so far, but I am constantly posting it on my facebook and twitter page, and have stated quite openly that I will be nagging and nagging. I'm going to make a right pest of myself so they just sign it to shut me up LOL!

In all seriousness, I think you just have to keep slogging on. One of my cm friend's parents was on facebook (we friended each other after I covered some holiday for her little one) tonight asking what it all meant and why did we keep posting it. I just sent her a huge email outlining how it affect HER and she has promptly signed it along with her husband!

I also find that hitting people where it hurts works too - I've said thing like "would you be happy to leave your child in unregulated care" to people who have young children - prick their conscience. And most of all don't give up - I think media interest will pick up on this soon and word will spread - it is still very early days.

uf353432
28-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Bearing in mind i've been posting this on my facebook page 3 times a day nearly for a whole week - its taken nearly a week for some people to respond to it and some of them are parents. People have different priorities - they are busy - some don't get it - but they will if you keep plugging away at them - talk to them tell them educate them - people are still signing the petition - so word is spreading.

The lady who got the coverage in Nursery World today is not on Facebook nor is she on this forum - she received a email from someone in her network and was so incensed by what she read she acted - and with full positive force and she isn't stopping either. The message is filtering through - it might take longer to reach others but it will get there.