PDA

View Full Version : I'm so proud - an open letter to you all

uf353432
25-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I wanted to say that I am so proud of all of you that have embraced the petition and who are working their butts off to get the message out there, I will warn you I have been to the pub as a rare treat tonight so this might get mushy!

I became a childminder because my oldest was about to start school - my youngest was still a babe in arms - I thought it would be a great way to earn an income whilst I was around to do school runs and be a mum.

Fast forward over 3 yrs later and I found I was actually a bit good with kids, to the point where I actually love my job and invest every waking moment into caring for children whilst their mummy and daddy work.

I look after 22 kids in one week - my youngest on roll is now 18 months and my oldest is currently 11yrs. They are without doubt the best children in the world to me - and apparently I am the 'best childminder in the world'.

I'm supposed to be studying for my degree - but all that has kind of gone on the back burner whilst I focus my attention on apposing Liz Truss and supporting you wonderful ladies and gents in your campaign.

I wanted to say its all absolutely worth it - when I read the responses on the petition - my eyes well up with tears - its an absolute pleasure to support so many childminders who beleive as I do that childminders provide the very best childcare in this country.

Before I became a childminder I was working full time - my daughter was cared for by a childminder and it was my childminder that suggested that I should consider this line of work. I am still yet to be convinced that childminders offer 2nd rate childcare and I will do everything I can to make that message heard to anyone who will listen.

We are only 4 1/2 days into our campaign please keep the momentum going - just because the media goes quiet - doesn't mean the subject has been forgotten about. I am immensley proud of every single one of you who has emailed, leafleted, facebooked, spoken, presented our cause - we might all work as individuals - but on this we are all united.

Have a great weekend - and forgive me for my ramblings - I just want you to know that I am really chuffed that we are all working together and making our voices count.

Best Wishes

Debbie

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Damm you made me cry

Lovely ramblings

Penny :)

uf353432
25-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Penny seriously - you are doing such a blinkin good job nehind the scenes if you were closer I would hug you - or make you cake - or both. Actually Both! we need more cake in this world.

xx

desiderata
25-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Debbie we are all proud of you ! you managed to get the petition off the ground and we are just running with it. Its great as you say to see how many of us are pulling together united .. I keep reading the posts myself and Im proud of many many of the comments on there.
We will keep spreading the word . Have a great weekend.

miffy
25-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Aaawww Debbie, you should be proud - of yourself! You've worked very hard to get this petition off the ground, you've spent hours chivvying us along and writing letters, sending emails etc etc.

Your passion and commitment have shone through and yes, I believe we will be heard.

Glad you've taken a break. Have a lovely weekend

Miffy xx

Pauline
25-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I became a childminder because my oldest was about to start school - my youngest was still a babe in arms - I thought it would be a great way to earn an income whilst I was around to do school runs and be a mum.

Fast forward over 3 yrs later and I found I was actually a bit good with kids, to the point where I actually love my job and invest every waking moment into caring for children whilst their mummy and daddy work.

That just about sums me up too, except for the fast forward is 27 years. :) There is something about this job, it is so worthwhile.

You are doing a great job with the petition too, you deserve the wine, enjoy :thumbsup:

Playmate
25-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Ahhhhh that was lovely. You certainly have put a lot of work in towards the campaign and I wish I could do more, but with my degree only 5 weeks off being finished I'm rather sidetracked, but I promise I will spread the word as much as possible.

Thank you Debbie :clapping:

mum26
25-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for managing to get the petition rolling - I will be composing a letter to the parents of mindees this weekend and e-mailing it - asking them to share it with anyone they think will also sign this petition. It is so important-I want childminders to be equal to (or better than) other childcare settings-and I do not want this backwards step to happen.

uf353432
25-05-2012, 09:01 PM
and Penny - she is working hard too xx

Its a team effort - I just wanted you all to know that we appreciate everything you are doing. xx :clapping: :clapping:

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 09:14 PM
and Penny - she is working hard too xx

Its a team effort - I just wanted you all to know that we appreciate everything you are doing. xx :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks for the mention Debbie :thumbsup:

From the start it has been a team effort - it was a member of this forum (sorry forgotten who - please remind me) who first suggested the idea, I went with it and did some wording - came back to the forum (and NCMAlocal) for proof reading and suggestions - several had input but mainly Debbie.

I settled on wording mainly mine but sentance structure etc by Debbie. I tried to put on gov site but couldn't, Debbie submitted one line statement to gov site. Neither of us happy with it. Debbie found change.org site - submitted full wording, and since then Debbie and I - and all you lovely forum members and NCMAlocal users and family and friends, and other professionals have all been supporting petition and doing a really good job.

Lets hope next week we can rally even more support.

Penny :)

uf353432
25-05-2012, 09:17 PM
funny that our gov petition still has yet to be approved!!! glad we went with change.org if only to capture people on the crest of the media wave :clapping:

stargazer1
26-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Until now, I have NEVER found a profession where people are so ready and willing to back and support each other, to club and pull together, to help each other out... I worked in law until childminding and spent 11 years watching firms rip chunks out of each other in competition. How refreshing to be part of something where everybody's goal is the same - to make a difference to the mindees we care for, to enhance their lives, to nurture them (and make a living in the process!) I am in Wales so at the moment we are not affected by the possible de-regulation, but can I just say I am behind you all a million percent. Do not give up and keep fighting and be proud of yourselves for the stand you are making xxxx

The Juggler
26-05-2012, 06:24 AM
you are a star hon. we WILL get this petition considered by those at the top :)

loocyloo
26-05-2012, 08:14 AM
i am very proud of you and penny and everything you are doing.

i'm proud of everyone on the forum for the way we are all working on this together.

i will do all i can to support and get our message heard.

hugs everyone xxx

watgem
26-05-2012, 08:53 AM
thank you and penny for bringing this to our attention and organising the petition, I wouldn't have known much about it otherwise:)