PDA

View Full Version : First of the 'pilot' cake rated inspections

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Following on from the previous thread about agencies and using the cake grading system - I decided that as ET herself has said I could become an'agency' - I would pilot it today.

So to set the scene

Inspector - Penny1959 registered childminder - ( to test out the theory if could carry out an inspection / support visit while childminding - 4 x two year olds in her care)

Childminder being inpspected / supported Carol M (3 children attending)

Location Arley Arboretum

Inspection report - can not really say much prior to lunch time as to busy with my 4 - especially one with attachment difficulties.

Lunch time Carol provided a lovely healthy lunch (I think - didn't really take much notice - as the needs of the 4 in my care had to come first

Cake insopection - took full notice here - as of course a bit like paperwork now this is the deciding factor.

Home made chocolate cake skills - excellent texture and taste - could have been improved with some butter cream but Carol's reason of it being too hot for butter cream - so for cake itself Oustanding

Helping children achieve cake eating skills

Four year old - excellent - ate quickly- no waste - wanted more
Two year old (ish) - lost a few marks as child did not want any - but Carol did not insist or force child to eat cake
One year old - excellent age and stage appropriate pulling apart of cake, stuffing in mouth, and making a mess.

So overall - Outstanding

Room for improvement- povide larger slice of cake for inspector at next inspection

Feedback from childminder

'I have had a lovely day' (hug for inspector) 'thank you'

Inspector feedback

I think the pilot went really well - and having taken on board feedback comments from Heven Scent - yes we can save money by inspecting our best friends - so less milage and no hotel costs.

And for the record this is where the inspection took place - I think sums up childminding at its best.

Bridey
25-05-2012, 02:28 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Love it!

Errr ... is there any cake left over by any chance?

sarah707
25-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Congratulations on your outstanding cake inspection Carol! :clapping: You must be very proud :D

Penny... don't take this the wrong way... but I think your inspection technique could do with some work :p :laughing:

JCrakers
25-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Can you make it over to Leics as it was DD birthday yesterday and we have birthday cake WITH butter cream :D

And you can choose to eat it with fork or without ;)

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Congratulations on your outstanding cake inspection Carol! :clapping: You must be very proud :D

Penny... don't take this the wrong way... but I think your inspection technique could do with some work :p :laughing:

With reflection you are of course right Sarah - I should have sampled several different cakes to ensure what I was tasting was not a one off :laughing:

Penny :)

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Can you make it over to Leics as it was DD birthday yesterday and we have birthday cake WITH butter cream :D

And you can choose to eat it with fork or without ;)

Sorry can't make it this week as have granny duties - however been asked to your end of the country in summer to do some training - so if you could recreate the birthday cake - I would be very happy to pop in and carry out your inspection.

Mouse
25-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm sorry Penny, but did you follow official guidance on whether or not the heat is a good enough excuse to leave off the butter cream?

Has said childminder risk assessed the dangers of butter cream on a hot day, or was it simply an assumption that it was a no no? Was there writen proof, in triplicate, backed up by indepth research and experience?
I'm not sure we can just accept the excuse, "it was too hot" :cool:

I think, before you can arrive at a true grade, you are going to have to re-do the inspection, but insist on copious amounts of butter cream :thumbsup:

zippy
25-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Home made chocolate cake skills - excellent texture and taste - could have been improved with some butter cream but Carol's reason of it being too hot for butter cream - so for cake itself Oustanding

Well I'm sorry but I would have graded this as competlety unsatisfactory, and it is such a serious breach that I'm afraid a reinspection would have to be rebooked for next week. Any more such breachs should result in daily inspection.

loocyloo
25-05-2012, 03:34 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

wonderful xxx

desiderata
25-05-2012, 03:37 PM
have had a bad day :(( but this post has cheered me up xx Penny you are brilliant xx

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Glad it cheered you up desiderata.

As to grade - yes Carol did explain in detail her knowledge of heat and the dangers of butter cream - and for that matter sugar paste (something to do with cake making for mindee's birthday)

And although I won't be re inspecting for at least a week (I am a very professional and dedicated inspector) I will be expecting not only butter cream - but a range of cakes to sample.

I can't have people doubting my skills as an inspector :D

Bushpig
25-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Inspector Penny, you have done a fabulous job today, you have earned your inspector fee... are you paid in cake??? :laughing::laughing:

I fear you missed out the important grade of PHOTOGRAPHY.

Outstanding for that too!!!

Gorgeous photo... illustrating perfectly what children who go to childminders have the fortune of experiencing!!!

Pauline
25-05-2012, 04:18 PM
LOL :laughing::laughing:

What I want to know is who inspects the inspector ..... I volunteer Mr. Wainwaring, sir!

funemnx
25-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Fabulous Dahling!! Excellent activity for inspection, covering all 6 (or is it 7?) areas of learning ;)

uf353432
25-05-2012, 04:50 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Twinkles
25-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Actually Penny I think you may have to bring samples of cake to another inspector ( I volunteer ) for quality control purposes.

Carol M
25-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Phew, glad that's over ;)
Was an extremely hot day and I was stressed at thought of new type inspection. But inspector was lovely, she arrived on time and straight away spoke to the children putting them at ease. We spent a couple of hours chatting, covering all areas of learning and development( children's and parent's) then sat down for lunch, no laptop in sight!
I have to admit, I cheated! The cake I gave the inspector was offcuts from mindees birthday cake that had to be shaped into a lego brick and is now waiting to be covered in sugarpaste. I'm glad I got a chance to elaborate on my cake making experience and I think I fooled her as I have the gift of the gab!
All the children were extremely well behaved, they nearly always are, and this inspector knew just what childminding is all about.
Well done us :clapping:
Carol xx

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 05:34 PM
LOL :laughing::laughing:

What I want to know is who inspects the inspector ..... I volunteer Mr. Wainwaring, sir!

Pauline - if you can get here welcome to inspect any time - I am told that my cakes are up to standard.

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Actually Penny I think you may have to bring samples of cake to another inspector ( I volunteer ) for quality control purposes.

Yes of course - we need to have quality control in place.

However - what are your qualifications please - I think there are a lot of very good childminders with skills in cake grading applying for the job :D

Smiley
25-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Dear Inspector
Although I was only inspected 3 months ago, could you please bring my inspection forward as I have been undertaking huge amounts of continuous professional development to improve my cake making skills.

I have completed my Sieving efficiently form (SEF) as this procedure results in outstanding outcomes.
I am extremely reflective - always considering how I can introduce new resources such as sprinkles, chocolate chips and icing.
My capacity to improve is outstanding as I complete cake baking sessions everyday.

I look forward to your visit, please could you bring your own gateaux fork as we eat with our hands! :laughing:

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Dear Childminder Smiley,

How refreshing to have a childminder volunteer toi have an early inspection. Under our previous format with Ofsted this never happen (well apart from that woman from Kidderminster who always volunteers for everything) any way it must be proof of the success of our new inspection format

You may have heard that we are thinking of introducing a two tier system - and as you are so keen and clearly are relflective and undertake CPD I will come out to pilot the new 2 tier grade system?

You will of course have to show how your 2 tier cake is worthy of being graded outstanding and I have to say not only does your cake have to be outstanding but all the children must be making exceptional progress in their own cake skills development - all areas of course

I await your response

Inspector

Penny

Smiley
25-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Dear Inspector Penny

I am thrilled to be involved in the new 2 tier pilot and I am confident that I can provide you with evidence of my skills.*
Everyday this week the children have been practicing their balancing skills in order to achieve the positioning of the 2nd tier. I can assure you all areas of learning are covered and the next steps are eat more cake and always share with the inspector.

Looking forward to your visit*
Childminder Smiley
:):):)

Mouse
25-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Dear Inspector
Although I was only inspected 3 months ago, could you please bring my inspection forward as I have been undertaking huge amounts of continuous professional development to improve my cake making skills.

I have completed my Sieving efficiently form (SEF) as this procedure results in outstanding outcomes.
I am extremely reflective - always considering how I can introduce new resources such as sprinkles, chocolate chips and icing.
My capacity to improve is outstanding as I complete cake baking sessions everyday.

I look forward to your visit, please could you bring your own gateaux fork as we eat with our hands! :laughing:

A post to truely warm your heart :cheerleader:

After all the uncertainty, childminder dissatisfaction and lack of general mojo in the childminding world, how wonderful to see a childminder taking her work seriously, throwing herself into self improvement and taking real pleasure in what she does.
This new type of inspection has done more to lift the spirits of childminders than any other suggestion we've heard so far.

Three cheers for cake related inspections :excited::excited::excited:

miffy
25-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I think I could enjoy this type of inspection :thumbsup:

Penny - that is a lovely photo :)

Miffy xx

scoobydoo1
25-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I think an Action should have happened so you could go back when the cake (hopefully another one by then or it might be stale) has buttercream, so that you can do a full assessment of the situation x:)

Playmate
25-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Please Mrs Inspector, can I keep my outstanding grading if I promise to make you a chocolate cake with pink icing in the shape of a 3? ;)

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Please Mrs Inspector, can I keep my outstanding grading if I promise to make you a chocolate cake with pink icing in the shape of a 3? ;)

Is that bribary childminder Playmate - seeing as I have seen a photo to tempt me?

tut tut - but yes - mind you - you will need to do a 5 as well to put in front of the 3 :D

miffy
25-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Is that bribary childminder Playmate - seeing as I have seen a photo to tempt me?

tut tut - but yes - mind you - you will need to do a 5 as well to put in front of the 3 :D

Surely you mean AFTER the 3!

Miffy xx

Playmate
25-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Miffy xx

Bribe BRIBE! me, would I? :blush:

If I can keep my grade I will make a 5 and put it where ever you like :laughing:

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Miffy xx

As an inspector I have to be truthful (and if I wasn't my body tells the truth:laughing:)

So 5 before the 3 it is. :panic:

Playmate
25-05-2012, 08:31 PM
As an inspector I have to be truthful (and if I wasn't my body tells the truth:laughing:)

So 5 before the 3 it is. :panic:

53 it is then :D

georgie456
25-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Following on from the previous thread about agencies and using the cake grading system - I decided that as ET herself has said I could become an'agency' - I would pilot it today.

So to set the scene

Inspector - Penny1959 registered childminder - ( to test out the theory if could carry out an inspection / support visit while childminding - 4 x two year olds in her care)

Childminder being inpspected / supported Carol M (3 children attending)

Location Arley Arboretum

Inspection report - can not really say much prior to lunch time as to busy with my 4 - especially one with attachment difficulties.

Lunch time Carol provided a lovely healthy lunch (I think - didn't really take much notice - as the needs of the 4 in my care had to come first

Cake insopection - took full notice here - as of course a bit like paperwork now this is the deciding factor.

Helping children achieve cake eating skills

Four year old - excellent - ate quickly- no waste - wanted more
Two year old (ish) - lost a few marks as child did not want any - but Carol did not insist or force child to eat cake
One year old - excellent age and stage appropriate pulling apart of cake, stuffing in mouth, and making a mess.

So overall - Outstanding

Room for improvement- povide larger slice of cake for inspector at next inspection

Feedback from childminder

'I have had a lovely day' (hug for inspector) 'thank you'

Inspector feedback

I think the pilot went really well - and having taken on board feedback comments from Heven Scent - yes we can save money by inspecting our best friends - so less milage and no hotel costs.

And for the record this is where the inspection took place - I think sums up childminding at its best.

I think this is quite possibly my favourite post I've EVER read on here.

Amazing!

Oh and, *whispers* For the record, I am known for my outstanding cake-making skills.......

Twinkles
25-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Oh and, *whispers* For the record, I am known for my outstanding cake-making skills.......

Cake making ??

Uh oh I thought we were being tested on cake eating skills :panic:

*mutters darkly into beard and looks for best Fanny Cradock recipe *

ajs
25-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Cake making ??

Not sure I want to know about your beard thank you:laughing:

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Cake making ??

Twinkles - you are getting confused - it must be the beard or the very old cook book.

When in role of childminder you make cake to be eaten and judged by inspector.

However I thought you had applied for the post of quality control - wwhich does involve eating cake - I am still waiting for your CV on cake grading skills.

Babycat
26-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Quite frankly I'm dissapointed.. no mention of a cake LJ? surely it has one?

Penny1959
26-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Quite frankly I'm dissapointed.. no mention of a cake LJ? surely it has one?

Thank you for your question Childminder Babycat
Luckily LJ's are not required under the new system - On instruction from her who knows everything - ET herself - we have tried to keep it as close as we can to the EYFS (Sept 12) as we know you childminders get confused and some of you really can not understand the writing in books and the like. ET says that for a simple life and to save precious time during inspections - we should concentrate on ensuring that the cake is up to standard - after all she ensures us that cooking cake and serving coffee are things you are good at - and can do while the children watch TV.

Of course it is up to you - if you want you can do LJ's - but we really don't have the time to look at them - we must complete the inspection as quick as possible because ET wants a good return on her idea - so yes of course quality does count - but not at the expense of saving money / making a profit.

Inspector Penny

Carol M
26-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Thank you for your question Childminder Babycat
Luckily LJ's are not required under the new system - On instruction from her who knows everything - ET herself - we have tried to keep it as close as we can to the EYFS (Sept 12) as we know you childminders get confused and some of you really can not understand the writing in books and the like. ET says that for a simple life and to save precious time during inspections - we should concentrate on ensuring that the cake is up to standard - after all she ensures us that cooking cake and serving coffee are things you are good at - and can do while the children watch TV.

Of course it is up to you - if you want you can do LJ's - but we really don't have the time to look at them - we must complete the inspection as quick as possible because ET wants a good return on her idea - so yes of course quality does count - but not at the expense of saving money / making a profit.

Inspector Penny

OMG, and my cake LJ's are extensive. I spend hours writing them up and linking them to the development of cake criteria, tracking their progress from ingredients to becoming a well rounded ( or square, oblong,heart or hexagonal) cake , able to go out into the world and enjoy being wonderful.
All that work, and for what? might as well chuck them in the bin, LJ not cake.
So to save precious time and for a simple life from Sept 12 I won't bother with LJ's.
Carol xx

Penny1959
26-05-2012, 09:23 PM
OMG, and my cake LJ's are extensive. I spend hours writing them up and linking them to the development of cake criteria, tracking their progress from ingredients to becoming a well rounded ( or square, oblong,heart or hexagonal) cake , able to go out into the world and enjoy being wonderful.
All that work, and for what? might as well chuck them in the bin, LJ not cake.
So to save precious time and for a simple life from Sept 12 I won't bother with LJ's.
Carol xx

Childminder Carol

You must be one of the rare childminders - the ones who can understand the writen word. This means that under the two tier system - provided you can produce the two tier cake - you should keep your records - because once the pilot on Childminder Smiley has been carried out (and no reason to assume she won't produce an excellent two tier cake) - all the outstanding childminders will be able to choose to be inspected by Ofsted - for a large fee to the cake inspectors (to ensure we say you are outstanding) - which can be paid in installments of 1 large fruit cake or 2 sponges a month to us PLUS the Ofsted fee.

Childminder Babycat - sorry if we have confused you - but I am sure you will understand how hard it is to decide on somthing and stick to it. ET loves to throw different ideas at us every day - and to be honest - we inspectors don't actually know what she is going to say next !

Inspector Penny

Babycat
27-05-2012, 09:48 PM
No confusion, loving the banter- although I have a feeling your fee may have to go up to cover the cost of gym memberships to work of said cake of course this would be a view supported by ET afterall she does want us to make more money !!boy im glad im in Scotland :-p

Penny1959
27-05-2012, 10:14 PM
No confusion, loving the banter- although I have a feeling your fee may have to go up to cover the cost of gym memberships to work of said cake of course this would be a view supported by ET afterall she does want us to make more money !!boy im glad im in Scotland :-p

Indeed you are a lucky childminder Babycat - as are all the childminders in Scotland and Wales.

How is the demand for childminding in Scotland? As I am getting concerned that I will not have enough hours in the day to childmind for 4 x 2 year olds, make outstanding cakes for my own inspection, carry out inspections on others - and now as you rightly say find time to go to the gym due to the amount of cake eating.

And to be honest ET is not working out to be the sort of boss I thought she would - I thought as an agency I would get 10% of every childminders income and get to eat cake a lot. Now she says (well today she says) that she wants you childminders to earn more - and the only way I can see that happening is for me to get less commission!

I have always loved Scotland - well the idea of it anyway - as only been once and it rained so much and was so misty we could not see the loch that our caravan was parked right next to - so didn't really see that much of Scotland - but the pictures look lovely on websites etc.

Oh and if I do move to Scotland could I co mind with you for a while please- while I get my head round the rules in Scotland.

jumping j
28-05-2012, 01:55 PM
groupon are offering a course on cake making skills,
I will list this as my new professional development in anticipation of my new inspection, can't wait,
will you need to see my recipe book and will I be judged on the variety of recipes?

Got to say I'm loving this thread :laughing::laughing:

Penny1959
28-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Childminder Jumping Jax

That is showing initative and good CPD - but really I won't have time to look at it during your inspection - so the best way to provide evidence will be to have at least one slice of every cake in your receipe book for me to sample. :D

Inspector Penny