PDA

View Full Version : Makaton signing

lizzymoonshine
25-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi guys

One of my mindees is having speech and language problems and his speech therapist has suggested we go on a course, trouble is I'm really struggling to find one in my area, (Mansfield, Notts) wondered if anyone had any advice?

Been on the Makaton website and nearest one is Huddersfield. :)

Shar
25-05-2012, 01:49 PM
My LA have Signalong, contact your LA and ask if there are any courses on offer. I did Signalong 1 & 2, they were really good. :thumbsup:

Helen79
25-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Is the S&L thepapist teaching mindee the signs? If she is then could you tag along to the next appointment to learn some.

I do basic makaton with the children, I did a days course but tbh I forgot most of the signs and re-learnt them after googling. We just use the basics, please, thank you, hurt, more, sorry, eat, drink which are easy ones to learn.

Our library has a makaton sign book in the baby section which we got out and read with the children to learn some signs.

Your children's centre might run courses or know someone who could teach you.

Smiley
25-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Contact your Pre school inclusion team my local authority have their own Makaton trainers

miffy
25-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Lizzie, my dil did a sign language course (pretty sure it was makaton ) at West Notts college.

Miffy xx

Childminder in Kent
25-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Is there a sing and sign/sign along near you? I attend one with my son who is 11 months and my mindees. My son has just learnt how to sign please :-)
They are very good - makes signing fun!

christine e
25-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Liz get in touch with APTCOO they may be able to help
http://www.aptcoo.co.uk/index.php

they did some training for the Nottm & County Childminding Assoc a couple of years ago so they may be able to help or point you in the right direction

Christine

ajs
25-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Liz get in touch with APTCOO they may be able to help
http://www.aptcoo.co.uk/index.php

they did some training for the Nottm & County Childminding Assoc a couple of years ago so they may be able to help or point you in the right direction

Christine

But don't you remember it didn't actually turn out to be makaton as no one told the trainer. Unless they ran another one and I missed it

christine e
26-05-2012, 05:59 AM
But don't you remember it didn't actually turn out to be makaton as no one told the trainer. Unless they ran another one and I missed it

:laughing:Yes I was thinking that as I posted Mandy - but they could have done it if the trainer had been informed properly - I still think that they may be able to help Liz even if only by pointing in another direction

Liz have you done any of the signs and symbols training through the tado?
There was one a few weeks ago but there have been a few in the last year or two just for childminders. If you have not then I would suggest you give them a ring
http://www3.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/caring/children/earlyyearsservices/childcaretraining/?entryid92=126588&cord=DESC
or see if you can go and visit someone under the buddying scheme - there is someone (larger than life type of character) only a very short distance from you who is a 'buddy' for this. I am sure you know who I mean, but if not pm me and I will name her.

Cx

blue bear
26-05-2012, 12:37 PM
You could buy the DVD nursery rhymes that has Dave benson Phillips in it, he signs for the whole DVD, it's really good.
You couldick out the signs useful to your lo and learn it that way.

jumping j
27-05-2012, 08:22 PM
The Talking Matters and Let's Interact courses are also very useful for ideas / support for children with speech delay.
I think both are on offer through the TADO
I did mine at the neginning of the year at woodhouse sure start

linzi133
29-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Have you tried places like Contact a Family - they run courses for families (they do in my area) and it normally costs about £30 for the day.

You could also ring your local Portage team (google portage and your area) they should know where local courses are.

Ask they childs Speech Therapist....she should know when there are courses going on !

Hope this helps

Lindsey

lizzymoonshine
29-05-2012, 09:38 PM
thanks guys will give them a try ;)))