PDA

View Full Version : Affordable happy childcare?

littletreasures
25-05-2012, 11:21 AM
There's an advert for a new nursery opening up in Wandsworth, offering affordable happy childcare.

Their fees are 8-6pm for under 2's £75 a day or half day £40. That's £7.50 per hour. How can that be affordable?

They also offer full time individual one to one care for £1850 per month.

I would like to be able to earn that much, but wouldn't get any parents willing to pay that sort of money.

And they want us childminders to reduce our fees!!!!

JCrakers
25-05-2012, 11:27 AM
:eek:

There's no wonder parents are up in arms about high childcare costs.
My full day is £35, making it £200 a week cheaper if it was a 5 day week.

What are childminding fees in your area? I know it differs from county to county.

wendywu
25-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Forward it onto ET and tell her she is targeting the wrong area of childcare :angry:

littletreasures
25-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Fees here are about £5.00-£5.50 per hour. We don't charge different fees for different age children either.

Fees are per hour rather than per session or day too, so parents don't have to pay for 10 hours care if they only want 6 hours.

I can't get over the one to one fee. That works out to be about £90 per day!!

sarah707
25-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Forward it onto ET and tell her she is targeting the wrong area of childcare :angry:

Good idea wendy! :clapping:

That is just ridiculous amounts of money :(

nikki thomson
25-05-2012, 12:21 PM
For £1850 a month you could employ a first rate nanny even in the more expensive parts of the country and if I was going to pay that sort of money I wouldn't be giving it to a nursery I'd be employing a nanny. X

The Juggler
25-05-2012, 01:04 PM
There's an advert for a new nursery opening up in Wandsworth, offering affordable happy childcare.

Their fees are 8-6pm for under 2's £75 a day or half day £40. That's £7.50 per hour. How can that be affordable?

They also offer full time individual one to one care for £1850 per month.

I would like to be able to earn that much, but wouldn't get any parents willing to pay that sort of money.

And they want us childminders to reduce our fees!!!!

I guess its reasonable for wandsworth ! the nurseries here are £55/£60 per day - I thought that was a lot :panic:

The Juggler
25-05-2012, 01:05 PM

:laughing::laughing: too true. and tell her we'd also be happy to train nurseries in providing said affordable childcare :D

EmmaReed84
25-05-2012, 01:24 PM
:eek: You mean to tell me you don't have a spare £1850 rolling around in loose change!!! Pfft, what kind of childminder are you ;)

Cracks me up though that childminders seem to be getting targeted. I spoke with a lady the other day and she said she is putting her LO in a nursey bcause it is cheaper and more flexible than a childminder... this nursey charges an extra £1.50 an hour than me, opens one hour later and closes two hours earlier... shame I don't have any EY spaces left... :rolleyes:

littletreasures
25-05-2012, 02:32 PM
I guess its reasonable for wandsworth ! the nurseries here are £55/£60 per day - I thought that was a lot :panic:

Is Wandsworth really that much more expensive than here Juggler? I thought we were a little bit cheaper than the nurseries round us, but Wandsworth are working out to be way over the top.

Ripeberry
25-05-2012, 03:55 PM
True though isn't it? Why pick on sole traders like Childminders but allow nurseries to charge what they like? Is it because they employ more people? Is that what all this is coming down to?
Making sure everyone is being employed? :rolleyes:

JCrakers
25-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm rebranding and have a new name :D

'Cheap as chips childcare'

Bushpig
25-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I am on the border of Wandsworth and Merton... and the nursery up the road from me is... wait for it... £90 PER DAY. My fee is £65.

:panic::panic::panic:

pipandbaz
25-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm in sunny sth wales n £3.50 per hour no min hours so have a few on my books works well for me :thumbsup:

EmmaReed84
25-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I am on the border of Wandsworth and Merton... and the nursery up the road from me is... wait for it... £90 PER DAY. My fee is £65.

:panic::panic::panic:

Ok so £90 a day now imagine in a perfect world they were full to the brim (which to be fair most are) and if all of them were £90 a day clients and guessing about 30-ish kids seems to be the average that would be £2700 A DAY. Even if they had only 20 children that is still £1800!!!

A parent requiring full time say for example TTO £90 for 5 days £450!! that is £17550 a year...

... Compared to you £65 a day for a maximum of 3 kids £195 a day! Or same parent TTO full time £325 a week, £12675!! a huge difference of £4875 a year... and they are getting on at childminders!!!

Someone *ahem* mentioning no names needs should have listened in maths class... or invest in a calculater that works!

Bushpig
25-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Anyone seen this scheme?
www.third-door.com

Agreed Emma... A certain person seems to think that nursery staff are highly qualified and childminders are unqualified, mere babysitters methinks...?

leeloo1
25-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Surely the prices of most things depend on the area you live in? Wandsworth, like most of London, is an expensive area to live in, so nurseries are expensive too - and I'm sure CMers are more expensive in these areas as well. They'll all have mortgages/council tax/bills to pay which are dearer than average, so need to charge more to cover those.

I do agree you'd be better off paying a nanny for that 1-2-1 price though.