PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide...

JCrakers
23-05-2012, 10:26 AM
On Wednesdays I have 6 children to pick up from school. So I have children aged

They have all been with me for years so I know them like the back of my hand :D very easy to handle etc. All the 8yr olds are boys and are all friends.

I have an 9yr old and sister 5yrs who only come Tuesdays. On Weds they go to afterschool club as I said I was a little busy on a Weds but they would rather come to mine.
Mum only works 3 days a week and Dad does Thurs pick up so she asked me if I could have them Weds too so she could give notice to afterschool club
I'm in two minds now. I know I could handle them all but when does too many become just too much. I would have 3,5,5,6,8,8,8,9,9
Does anyone else have a lot afterschool?
Actually when I write it down it does look too many :blush: I find it hard to say no :laughing:
Plus if I was to have an enquiry about day time care I would have to turn it down.
Decisions

Ripeberry
23-05-2012, 10:43 AM
So I take it you don't have any little ones during the day and only work a few hours each day after school? Sounds OK to me but what about wet days in the holidays? That would drive me potty :panic::eek:

JCrakers
23-05-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a 3yr old 8-6pm and a 2yr old 9am-2.50pm but she goes home before I collect from school.

I'm doing the weds school run later so will try an imagine two extra and see how that goes

nipper
23-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Well based on my rates that would earn me any where up to £30+ per hour for the hours they were all attending together. You certainly sound as if you anticipate coping with them all. Go for it I'd say.

Just one question, you walk back from school don't you?

caz3007
23-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I had 6 afterschools at one point plus my own DS (they were mainly over 8's). Yes it was manic and I did a cooked meal too. I earnt good money for that short time, so it was worth it to me.

But would I do it again..........uuummmm.......probably not

JCrakers
23-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Well based on my rates that would earn me any where up to £30+ per hour for the hours they were all attending together. You certainly sound as if you anticipate coping with them all. Go for it I'd say.

Just one question, you walk back from school don't you?

Yes its a 10min walk and a park on the way home means they let off steam before reaching my house. If the weather is nice we arrive at about 4.20pm. 2 children go at 5.15pm and the rest between 5.30-6pm.
I must admit, the wet days would be hard but Mum and kids were really wanting to come and that's what makes me want to say yes..they don't enjoy the club.

Hayley102
23-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I have my own children (8 & 10) plus 3 pre-school children plus 1-3 children aged between 5 and 8 most days. It is busy but managable espcially when they know you and your routines. I would go for it if it doesn't impact on pre-school places.

nipper
23-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Do you cook for them before they go home, or just a quick snack?

JCrakers
23-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Do you cook for them before they go home, or just a quick snack?

Well its a bit of everything really. I only do sandwiches for tea as I really cant find the time to do a cooked meal. especially when everyone moans about something. All the after-school children have hot school dinners so that makes it an easier decision.
I do cook for the under 5's.

Mon - I only have 1 family of 3 so the two school boys eat sandwiches while the 3yr old has a cooked meal which is usually a roast dinner that I've put aside from Sunday.
Tues - I have 6 school children and a 3yr old. I do spaghoops or beans on toast as one child doesn't like sandwiches but will eat toast so its easier to do all the same. Its like feeding time at the zoo and go through a whole loaf of bread,yogurts and fruit..lol
Weds - 3 school children just have snack as they have tea at home, the other 3 have sandwiches. Again the 3yr old has a cooked.
Thurs - 3 schoolies have sandwiches at 4pm due to going swimming and gymnastics and I cook a meal for 4yr,3yr,1yr old
Fri - I have no school children so just do a cooked meal for 4yr,1yr old.

It all works well even though it sounds quite complicated.

nipper
23-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Sounds to me like you have it all under control!

Rubybubbles
23-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I would rather have under 5's myself:laughing:

But a few years ago I only had before and afterschools and my own dd (then baby) and loved it! If you can work around them then go for it, you are running a business after all;)

carol cameron
24-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Sounds perfectly managable (if busy) to me.
Check your maximum numbers insurance wise though as I know one is capped at 10 and another 12 children on the premises:)

blue bear
24-05-2012, 04:06 PM
I have 6 children after school regular and 8 on occasions, it's lik a military operation but they all get on so well its lovely. I too need to learn the word no!

JCrakers
29-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Well, I've said yes. So now I'm going to have 8 schoolies and a 3yr old on weds after school. Wish me luck.

If you don't hear from me for a while you will know I've been defeated and im sat somewhere rocking in the corner :laughing:

TooEarlyForGin?
29-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Sounds like you have it down to a T.

But then again Crakers by name........:D