PDA

View Full Version : Reply from Elizabeth truss

JCrakers
23-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi,
I took time to write to Ms Truss yesterday and today she replied. I understand she is a busy lady but this was her reply

Thank you for your e-mail. I have attached a copy of my paper for your consideration.
Best wishes,
Elizabeth Truss MP

And she had attached the document that I have already read through...lol
Thanks for that :D

Bushpig
23-05-2012, 09:47 AM
She just cannot be bothered.

karens knippers
23-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I would send it straight back to her with same reply until she actually comments on it properly....If she cant handle pressure she should have kept big mush shut from start!!! :laughing:

nipper
23-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Why don't you send it back with your thoughts scrawled all over it?

BucksCM
23-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi,
I took time to write to Ms Truss yesterday and today she replied. I understand she is a busy lady but this was her reply

Thank you for your e-mail. I have attached a copy of my paper for your consideration.
Best wishes,
Elizabeth Truss MP

"Er...yes...I have read that paper, hence my email to you!"
DUH!!!
Just another MP mouthing off about something they really don't know much about!!"!

marnieb
23-05-2012, 11:26 AM
yes, i had the same reply.....

lets just hope that lots of cms are e-mailing her and she might realise what she is suggesting.

Yet somehow I think she is not taking any interest of what we are saying.....

sarahjane
23-05-2012, 11:28 AM
If she's sending out a standard reply I wonder if she's even reading them :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 11:42 AM
I have just had the same response! So I have replied as follows:

Hello Ms Truss,

I have just received your rep;y to my email. I was assured by a member of your staff that you personally would read and respond to my email. This clearly has not happened because if you had read my email you would have understood that it was in response to your paper and comments made on the radio.

A coherent framework in Britain could
be achieved by adopting the agency
structure –
used in the Netherlands
– for childminders. In the Netherlands
childminder or ‘host parent’ agencies
operate locally, training and monitoring
registered childminders, while parents
pay a monthly fee for childminding. An
equivalent system in the UK could be
based on existing networks, agencies
and local authority operations already
in existence.

The above model has been shown not to work and the Netherlands are currently deconstructing it so what makes you think it would work here?

In addition nurseries and children’s
centres could be allowed to attain
academy status, as schools are
currently able to. This would mean
money currently allocated to local
authorities would go direct to academy
nurseries.

Why should Privately owned, profit making Nurseries be possibly considered as a route to monitor, regulate or what ever when they are my competitors? How will they remain fair with regard to local childminders? My local Nursery struggles to achieve a Satifactory grading and as far as I can see provides a far inferior and less flexible service than I do. I as I said in my email, have always been graded good and for the last two inspections have gained areas of Outstanding as well. Not all Nurseries are a beacon of excellent care Ms Truss. You only have to look at a few Ofsted reports to see that. I also realise that not all Childminding settings are good. The trouble is that these nurseries are high profile on the High Street and when people like you infer they are better than childminding then parents use them and don’t actually consider fully what their child is actually getting out of being there.

You clearly have no idea what the role of a Childminder is and how they work and have not taken the trouble to find out. maybe it is your researchers who are at fault here? At any rate I would be delighted if you would take the time to actually read my email, do some research, you are welcome to telephone me, I have 18 years experience of Childminding, or indeed come and visit.

Perhaps in the light of some equally ill informed comments Michael Wilshaw, the Head of Ofsted has made regarding Childminding you might like to ask if he would like to visit me with you. It will be a revelation for both of you to see how professional, caring and hard working a childminder can be.

I look forward to hearing from you.

desiderata
23-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Go Penny xx thats a brilliant reply. maybe we should all email her x i have written to my Mp and the Headmaster at the local school

desiderata
23-05-2012, 12:01 PM
what is her email address? please

Smiley
23-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I have received the same reply and at the moment too cross to respond! :angry:
Well done Rickysmiths excellent response

Smiley
23-05-2012, 12:17 PM
This is her email

elizabeth.truss.mp@parliament.uk

Penny1959
23-05-2012, 12:46 PM
I have had same reply - I think her admin has been busy sending to everyone who has emailed - don't think ET has read any of them

Good reply Rickysmiths - mine was not so good - in a hurry as LA person visitoing this morning.

Some intro comments then:-

My biggest concern is losing the right to a individual inspection where I am judged on the progress made by the children in my care and by my implementation of the EYFS.

The children centre nearest to me - gets support from me - not the other way round - I accept that I am not the 'average childminder' but there are many childminders that are outstanding like me, run very successful businesses and are passionate about childminding.

I think some do need support - but to be frank they do not access free support at the moment or under take training - they do as little as possible and don't care if they are graded satisfactory. I don't think they will pay to be told they have to do x,y and z - they will resign.

There is also a possibility that outstanding childminders such as myself will feel so strongly about losing our right to an individual inspection would also resign.

more comments about responding more later

Penny :)

Mouse
23-05-2012, 12:50 PM
So she obviously put as much effort into reading the emails as she did into researching childminding in the first place :rolleyes:

uf353432
23-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I got the same reply!

zippy
23-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Best wishes,
Elizabeth Truss MP

Thanks for that :D[/QUOTE]

Well that's certainly listening to the people then, I'm bowled over by her enthusiasm to listen to current childminders views, what a farse.

Carol M
23-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Loving the replies, keep at her girls!
It says on her website she has two children, I wonder if she uses childcare? If she does,bet it isn't a childminder :laughing:
I don't believe she will back down on this one, nor Mr Wilshaw ( mmmm wonder if there is anything going on there)
Carol xx

zippy
23-05-2012, 01:07 PM
I would send it straight back to her with same reply until she actually comments on it properly....If she cant handle pressure she should have kept big mush shut from start!!! :laughing:

Oh definitely please do, to be a fly on the wall when she reads that one lol

loocyloo
23-05-2012, 01:09 PM
guess what my reply was??? !!!

zippy
23-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Go rickysmiths, that is an ace response, polite, firm and with an undercurrent of seething added in lol.

The Juggler
23-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi,

Best wishes,
Elizabeth Truss MP

I would send an e-mail back saying thanks for that but I'll think you'll find my e-mail to you was in RESPONSE to your paper. I would be grateful if you would take the time to read my comments .:angry::angry:

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 01:42 PM
I just got this response to my reply.

Did you listen to the radio 4 today programme today about the netherlands? They are not deconstructing it. On at 8.43. Best Elizabeth

Now I was listening to the Today programme from 6.30am and didn't hear anything about the Netherlands so I will see if I can listen to it on i player in a bit. Did anyone hear it?

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Go rickysmiths, that is an ace response, polite, firm and with an undercurrent of seething added in lol.

Thank you. I'm surprised I managed to get it done. I was feeding a mindee and making scrambled eggs on toast for my son for lunch before his AS Chemisrty exam this afternoon!! As you do.

Heaven Scent
23-05-2012, 02:34 PM
I have been involved in banter with her on Twitter and when I asked her where exactly in this country there was a ratio or 1:1 for children under 1 - her response was............................................... ......................................... - Yes you've guessed it .................................................. ............................................. Have you read the report !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ................

Yes Mrs I have indeed and yes Mrs I know my ratios I am allowed in general (without a variation) to care for no more than 6 children under 8 yrs of age of which no more than 3 can be under 5 and of those no more than 1 can be under 1 yr old - where does that make a child have a ratio of 1:1 In nurseries its 2:1 for children under 1 - she hasn't got a clue what she is spouting on about!!!! - A little knowledge is indeed a bad bad thing !!!!!!!!!!

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 02:55 PM
It's frightening isn't it. I don't go on twitter or Facebook so I can't follow either.

I'm still waiting for a reply to my last response to her.

marnieb
23-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes, I replied to her e-mail too, simply asking how with limited space I could increase my numbers.

I sincerely doubt she is reading these e-mails herself.

Hebs
23-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I think it's time for us to all get together, contact the press and make our concerns heard and highlight their total lack of understanding.
Livid :angry:

Mouse
23-05-2012, 03:46 PM
It's frightening isn't it. I don't go on twitter or Facebook so I can't follow either.

I'm still waiting for a reply to my last response to her.

I've had to sign up to twitter just so I can follow it...but I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing yet :blush:

I have spotted some familiar names though :clapping:

Heaven Scent
23-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I've had to sign up to twitter just so I can follow it...but I haven't quite figured out what I'm doing yet :blush:

I'm not too sure myself but its not stopping me - everyday I have to relearn it but I'll get there one day soon - I'm not fond of twitter - not enough room for a good auld rant either LOL!!

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 04:04 PM
I think it's time for us to all get together, contact the press and make our concerns heard and highlight their total lack of understanding.
Livid :angry:

I agree Hebs and suggested in another thread that we contact the Education Correspondent at the Guardian who has reported on Michael Wilshaws crass comments this year and see if she would do an article about Childminders and what we are facing.

Her name is Jessica Shepherd.

I am baby sitting tonight so I will compose something. I will start a thread on here as as for other input before I send anything.

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 04:05 PM

Well done you you are a step ahead of me. I don't do Twitter or Facebook :blush:

wendywu
23-05-2012, 04:42 PM
I agree Hebs and suggested in another thread that we contact the Education Correspondent at the Guardian who has reported on Michael Wilshaws crass comments this year and see if she would do an article about Childminders and what we are facing.

I am baby sitting tonight so I will compose something. I will start a thread on here as as for other input before I send anything.

That is a great idea. How can these people who hold our futures in their hands have such incorrect infomation. :panic:

uf353432
23-05-2012, 04:49 PM

be sure to point her in the direction of the petition and ask her to read the comments placed on there - also point out that the petition has only been live for 24 hours and has already received over 1000 sigs.

miffy
23-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Excellent idea! Think we just have to keep plugging away sending emails, letters etc anywhere and everywhere we can think of until someone takes some notice.

Your reply to ET's email was brill :clapping:

Miffy xx

The Juggler
23-05-2012, 07:15 PM

brilliant reply Ricky :thumbsup:

green puppy
23-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I have just had the same response! So I have replied as follows:

Hello Ms Truss,

I have just received your rep;y to my email. I was assured by a member of your staff that you personally would read and respond to my email. This clearly has not happened because if you had read my email you would have understood that it was in response to your paper and comments made on the radio.

A coherent framework in Britain could
be achieved by adopting the agency
structure –
used in the Netherlands
– for childminders. In the Netherlands
childminder or ‘host parent’ agencies
operate locally, training and monitoring
registered childminders, while parents
pay a monthly fee for childminding. An
equivalent system in the UK could be
based on existing networks, agencies
and local authority operations already
in existence.

The above model has been shown not to work and the Netherlands are currently deconstructing it so what makes you think it would work here?

In addition nurseries and children’s
centres could be allowed to attain
academy status, as schools are
currently able to. This would mean
money currently allocated to local
authorities would go direct to academy
nurseries.

Why should Privately owned, profit making Nurseries be possibly considered as a route to monitor, regulate or what ever when they are my competitors? How will they remain fair with regard to local childminders? My local Nursery struggles to achieve a Satifactory grading and as far as I can see provides a far inferior and less flexible service than I do. I as I said in my email, have always been graded good and for the last two inspections have gained areas of Outstanding as well. Not all Nurseries are a beacon of excellent care Ms Truss. You only have to look at a few Ofsted reports to see that. I also realise that not all Childminding settings are good. The trouble is that these nurseries are high profile on the High Street and when people like you infer they are better than childminding then parents use them and don’t actually consider fully what their child is actually getting out of being there.

You clearly have no idea what the role of a Childminder is and how they work and have not taken the trouble to find out. maybe it is your researchers who are at fault here? At any rate I would be delighted if you would take the time to actually read my email, do some research, you are welcome to telephone me, I have 18 years experience of Childminding, or indeed come and visit.

Perhaps in the light of some equally ill informed comments Michael Wilshaw, the Head of Ofsted has made regarding Childminding you might like to ask if he would like to visit me with you. It will be a revelation for both of you to see how professional, caring and hard working a childminder can be.

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Love it!

zippy
23-05-2012, 07:47 PM

Me too, it's a nightmare, I've started a thread asking how to use it lol

Smiley
23-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Okay I'm still fuming but just sent this back to her

Good Evening Ms Truss*
I have received your reply and am very disappointed. If that is a personal response I wonder why others have received the same response. You have not addressed my concerns, I had already seen your paper which is one of the reasons I decided to contact you. I would appreciate you taking the time to actually respond to my concerns as documented in my original email. I spend hours doing paperwork, attending training, conferences etc all outside of my working day to ensure that my business offers children and their families an exceptional service.

The model you refer to in the Netherlands has not been successful and has actually resulted in falling standards therefore I do not understand why you think privately
owned nurseries or other agencies should monitor, train and inspect childminders. This infers that you think they offer a higher quality of service with more knowledgeable, qualified staff. This is not always the case, some of these private nurseries are run and managed with managers who only have level 3 qualifications. Many of these private nurseries have to abide by criteria laid down by their local authority, all using assessment pro forma which sometimes amounts to no more than a tick list. Conversely I *produce all of my own documentation to a very high standard, indeed this was commented on during my recent Ofsted inspection, incidentally my last two inspections I was awarded the grade outstanding.

I wonder who you have consulted with in view of your patronising view of childminders. I had hoped that the changes we have seen within the early years sector over the last few years, including the Early Years Foundation Stage would result in the status of childminders being recognised alongside other early years practitioners. By deregulating us, this will send out an extremely negative message to everyone within the childcare field.*

I am a qualified tutor and assessor, I also have an early years degree yet despite this I remain as a childminder. I am passionate about my career choice because I believe young children thrive in home environments, with real life experiences where they can be cared for alongside their siblings and mix with children of all ages.

With respect I think you will find that I am in a position to train, assess and inspect the private nurseries and other agencies that you are proposing should improve my childminding provision.

Ended it with my name and degree title BA (Hons) Early Years

Suebb1
23-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I decided after reading all this I'd send one brief and to the point

'This will be a very brief email as according to other childminders you are just filtering through a standard reply to most, which makes one

believe that our concerns being sent are not even been read or maybe understood.

Suffice to say I have already read your 'paper' and truely believe that you and the government have got these proposals wrong.

I am a compassionate childminder of 26 years experience and have embraced most changes ,this proposal I will not.'

Waiting my reply and if it's the same - you will know she is NOT listening. Have also emailed local MP and asked her to come and meet our group and as they are more articulate than I am ,hopefully we will get a better reponse from her.

HelenHale
23-05-2012, 08:29 PM
With respect I think you will find that I am in a position to train, assess and inspect the private nurseries and other agencies that you are proposing should improve my childminding provision.

Ended it with my name and degree title BA (Hons) Early Years

Brilliant response :D:D:D can't wait to see her reply!

Helen x

HelenHale
23-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I just got this response to my reply.

Did you listen to the radio 4 today programme today about the netherlands? They are not deconstructing it. On at 8.43. Best Elizabeth

Now I was listening to the Today programme from 6.30am and didn't hear anything about the Netherlands so I will see if I can listen to it on i player in a bit. Did anyone hear it?

I presume she is talking about this one http://audioboo.fm/boos/814979-could-dutch-childcare-model-work-for-uk?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=

Wouldn't be shouting from the rooftops about it if I was her... not a very good advertisment at all :panic:

uf353432
23-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm afraid I am far less convivial in my response

Dear Elizabeth

Thank you for what must now be your automated response to all childminders.

I had read your paper - my email was in response to it. By sending it to me again with no regard to the contents of my email does not encourage me at all that you plan to talk to childminders or anyone else who represents us.

Thank you for clarifying that for me - I gleamed as much from you paper already - but it is heartening to know that you are a person of habit.

Best Wishes

Penny1959
23-05-2012, 09:52 PM
This is my full letter to ET - an open letter - so a public letter - Child Care journalhave posted on their facebook page.

I admit that I have tried a different tact and have said that I am interested in finding out more - which I am because there is no detail or correct factual information in her 'paper'

I have asked questions - which should be replied to - but not holding my breath!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/child-care-journal/open-letter-to-elizabethtruss-by-penny-webb-registered-childminder/402670359776136

And if not on Facebook - here it is
Dear Ms Truss

I wish to make it clear that I have my concerns about the ideas being suggested about the future regulation of childminders, however I am a reflective practitioner, and therefore I am very interested in finding out more about the ideas you mention.

First, the suggestion that increasing the number of children a childminder may care for, might increase childminders pay and professionalism, attracting more into childminding as their career.

· Would it be a ‘blanket’ 5 under 5 for everyone, or would someone regulate this?

I ask because under the revised EYFS the government has removed the need for childminders to apply to Ofsted for variations – everyone will be having a new certificate in September 2012 that does not state numbers of children they can care for – it is up to each childminder's judgement that meeting the requirements of EYFS, Therefore unless this change is reversed, it would seem that any childminder could then have 5 children under 5 if your suggestion is implemented.

· As childminding incomes are neither stable nor secure due to the ebb and flow of demand for childcare, do you have any plans for ensuring that those who might be attracted to childminding as a career can maintain a stable income?

I ask because all childminders have times when they have one or more vacant space – this means that at times they operate without profit or even at a loss. Those entering the professional because attracted by the potential income from 5 children may not be in a position to operate with no profit or at a loss due to personal financial commitments.

· Is your ‘vision’ that as well as caring for 5 under 5’s that childminders continue to care for school age children?

I ask because depending on the ages and physical ability of the under 5s, doing a school run may be difficult – space in car or pushchairs – and some might need to buy specialist equipment / vehicles. If it is not your vision for childminders to continue to care for school age children – do you have a vision that covers before and after school care – particularly that meets the extended hours that some parents require and are the reason they choose registered childminding places for their children.

· Part of the benefits of registered childminding is the ‘home from home’ environment and the ability to take the children out in the community and to have first-hand experience of things like going shopping, posting a letter, visiting the local library. In your vision would you see these types of outings continuing?

I ask because – even if you have the ‘right’ equipment – taking a large multi seater pushchair into most towns is not practical. Therefore would you expect children to stay within the setting (childminders' homes) for most of the day and on most days of the week – as often happens in centre based care.

· Children under 3 need a lot of support with their personal, social and emotional needs – and indeed is one of the 3 prime areas within the revised EYFS. Do you have any plans to restrict the number of under 3s in one childminder's care?

I ask because if all the children are under 3, the childminder would need to focus a lot of her time on supporting sharing and turn taking, and comforting when a child was unhappy, insecure, teething etc.

Secondly, the suggestion that childminders could be regulated under an agency model. I should say here that I have worked for NCMA and my Local Authority, with positions as network coordinator, childminding development officer, trainer and quality assurance assessor.

· How many agencies do you think will be needed – one per LA? Or one per children’s centre area? Or some other area definition?

I ask because I know that to run the NCMA ccf network and to cover all costs – staff, office costs, travel expenses, putting on training and other ‘on costs’ - it was at least £50,000 per 40 childminders (without the costs paid to NCMA or making a profit). I assume that whoever runs the agency would want to make a profit and that unless using a home office or a building they already own, the cost would be much higher.

I agreed that number of assessment and support visits could be reduced from that required by the ccf network model. But if you increased the number of childminders in the agency network to 100 or to 200 the costs would rise as would travel costs, office overheads etc. What would the cost per childminder be? A percentage figure of income is variable given that some childminders earn very little, especially if limited on number of children they can look after or have vacancies for, and therefore there is the potential for the agency not to have enough income to cover costs. Therefore, I am interested in finding out a) if you think the agencies would need financial support from the government or any other plans you might have to make the agencies viable.

What concerns me is the quality, because at 200 childminders per agency network – taking out annual leave the person running the network would have to visit 4 childminders each week – just to see them once – so 8 per week to visit them in their setting and to observe practice twice a year. Plus within their hours organise training, design paperwork, continue their own professional development and attend meetings / training. Of course the lower the number of childminders in the network the easier it will be to manage and to ensure the quality, but then the cost per childminder rises.

However maybe your vision is different? I would very much like to hear about how you think it would all work in practice and what the cost to each childminder would be, with government financial support, and without it.

· The details that I have read about suggest that childminders may have to lose their self-employment status if the agency becomes responsible for setting fees, contracts with parents and handling payments from parents / government for the FE. If this is the case, do you plan to pay for NI payments, pensions, sick pay, redundancy and retainers for times when not all places are full?

I ask because if you do not think these employee benefits will be paid then a rethink about how an agency model will work will be needed, and if they are to be included will this increase the agency fees dramatically.

I do have other questions that I would like to ask to extend my understanding of the ideas being suggested and in particular those concerning paperwork and making decisions about the running of each childminder setting, but feel that I have asked enough questions for the time being.

I look forward to your response and to being able to further develop an understanding of the issues involved.

Penny Webb

Registered Childminder

******.place@hotmail.co.uk

Babycat
23-05-2012, 10:05 PM
wonderful Penny! Keep us posted! x

loocyloo
23-05-2012, 10:08 PM
go penny!

fantastic letter :clapping: i look forward to hearing her response! :D

mum2two
24-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Fantastic penny! But bet you still get the automated response.... :rolleyes:

xx

Heaven Scent
24-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Fantastic letter Penny - I bet she asks - "Have you read the report" - its her standard answer to everyone LOL!!!

desiderata
24-05-2012, 09:34 AM
that is a brilliant letter Penny ! keep us posted xx

Penny1959
24-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Fantastic letter Penny - I bet she asks - "Have you read the report" - its her standard answer to everyone LOL!!!

Yes you are right- had that to my first email - no response to second - this one has gone in post

Mind you don't except a reply - which is why I sent it to Child Care Journal - and they have posted on their facebook site - so others can see it.

There will be follow up ones - if she replies and if she does not.

cabby
24-05-2012, 09:55 AM
This is my full letter to ET an open letter - so a public letter - Child Care journalhave posted on their facebook page.

:laughing::laughing: E T i just think of a wrinkly old alien when i hear her name now :laughing::laughing:

:blush::blush: sorry :blush::blush:

Penny1959
24-05-2012, 10:02 AM
E T i just think of a wrinkly old alien when i hear her name now

With you on that one :laughing:

I have posted elsewhere - Facebook I think - That I wish ET would 'go home' like the film ET and stop making silly comments that might make sense on another planet but make no sense here on earth.

Heaven Scent
24-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Oh another reply I had from her when I raised various difficulties with her idea - cant remember exactly which points in particular it was to -

Well there could be a two tiered system - I am not suggesting a one size fits all approach?????????? - now how would that be economical????????????

rickysmiths
24-05-2012, 11:15 AM
It just goes to show she hasn't got a clue what she is talking about. :rolleyes:

Penny what an excellent letter. All the cms at my group have filled in the NCMA consultation.