PDA

View Full Version : Petition - Stop Deregulation!!

uf353432
23-05-2012, 07:20 AM
We urge the Government to undertake full and current research into all aspects of registered childminding and to consult with experts in the field, national representative organisations and most importantly those who are practising registered childminders, before deciding on the future regulation and inspection requirements of childminders.

We understand the Government’s desire to cut childcare costs for parents and need to reduce Government budgets; however as registered childminders we are an integral part of the childcare market providing professional, home based childcare that meets the needs of parents, providing more flexible hours, the ability for siblings of all ages to be cared for together, care from birth to teenage years ensuring continuity of care, and lower ratios that centre based care.

Registered childminders are regulated and inspected, they follow the Early Years Foundation Stage and meet the legal requirements in the same way all other early years settings do. This ensures that all children receive high quality care and learning opportunities and that early years settings have a common language when practicing multi agency working.

Before reaching any decision which will impact on parent’s choice of regulated childcare, children’s equality of opportunities and childminders businesses, the government must build upon the significant progress that has been made in the childminding sector in recent years, ensuring that this is a step forward with positive benefits to all but especially for children because opportunities to reach their full potential, once missed are hard if not impossible to recreate and failure to safeguard a child can never be reversed.

Please make your voice heard and go to the link below and sign the petition, add your comments as to why you are adding your name to the growing list. Email your parents the link and post on facebook and encourage everyone you know. This is an important time for childminders

http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=share_button_modal

adele1985
23-05-2012, 07:28 AM
signed it :)

watgem
23-05-2012, 07:41 AM
signed and shared thank you for doing this :)lets hope it gets lots of signatures and the powers that be take note

Penny1959
23-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Make sure you share with everyone - remember you do not have to be a childminder to sign .

Challenge - can we get past the 1000 signatures today?

Penny :)

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 07:50 AM
I have signed and commented and I will be doing a newsletter for all my parents past and present :thumbsup:

Its up to 637 now.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
23-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Done :thumbsup:

wendywu
23-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Done yesterday :D

loocyloo
23-05-2012, 08:32 AM
signed and forwarded yesterday x

JCrakers
23-05-2012, 08:33 AM
I signed yesterday and so did my dad :D
I will get parents to sign too

BucksCM
23-05-2012, 08:45 AM
signed and shared on facebook :thumbsup:
Thank you for doing it:D

uf353432
23-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Just some stats for you:

Out of the 915 people who have signed it 640 have shared it on facebook.

It have been tweeted 9 times direct from the petition.

In some periods we are getting someone sign it every minute.

Lets keep this train rolling - I beleive this is just the tip of the iceberg.

uf353432
23-05-2012, 01:53 PM
our petition has just been retweeted by Change.org - the site who is hosting our petition over a 1000 followers & John Coventry who runs Change in a personal capacity on twitter who has another 500 followers!

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Nearly up to 1000 now :thumbsup:

Penny1959
23-05-2012, 02:04 PM
As well as Penny Tassoni we now have Child Care Journal signed up and Dr. Margaret Simms

Edging towards the 1000

Well done uf on getting the petition online.

Thank you everyone - but dont stop sharing - a long way to go.

uf353432
23-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Just gone past 1000 sigs :clapping:

Penny1959
23-05-2012, 04:47 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Penny :D

lesley
23-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Thank you for starting that, going to sign. I have shared it too.

Lesley

Playmate
23-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Doing my bit :D quite a few friends, local CM's and ex parents have signed, will keep working on others :)

sandy64
23-05-2012, 05:41 PM
thanks just going to sign will get all my parents to sign thanks:)

uf353432
23-05-2012, 05:56 PM
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150961407423846&id=727128845

A fantastic considered response to Truss on Facebook encouraging people to sign the petition.

lubanana
23-05-2012, 06:10 PM
signed and posted last night on facebook.

missymood
23-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Done:thumbsup:

Pauline
23-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Sorted :)

Sorry been away a few days, finally caught up :)

uf353432
23-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I received the following email today:

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for using Change.org for your campaign.

I work in the UK office of Change.org, and I noticed your petition has been gathering significant momentum. We would love to help you promote your campaign, and think there could be much wider interest in the media and wider public.

If you have a number I could give you a quick call on it would be great to talk through some next steps and ideas for getting more signatures.
Thank you again for using Change.org for your campaign.

I hope to hear from you soon, please call or email anytime

All best wishes

John Coventry

I've emailed back:

Hi John,

We welcome any support and help you can offer. Sincere thanks for the twitter work today.

I'm not working alone though - the effort is being co-ordinated on childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum

Speak soon.

--
Debbie

Suebb1
23-05-2012, 08:11 PM
that is fantastic news. I've written to Elizabeth Truss, but a curt email as many seem to have had a standard reply and also our local MP asking her to come and meet us. And obviously passed the news on to all parents, family and ex mindees. Keep up the good work ladies and gents x

uf353432
23-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Johns response:

Hi Debbie, thanks for coming back to me and sorry for chasing!

Basically we would love to help in two ways: first to email some of change.org's members to let them know about your campaign. To do this one of our campaigners (copied in here) would have a chat with you and work out an email to send out. This means lots more people sign on to the petition, and also it gets shared through other people' social networks.

Second, I would like to issue a press release about your campaign and see if any newspapers or broadcasters would like to cover it. As a new dad myself this is a huge issue, and I'm personally grateful that you've highlighted it - and I think the media may like the story too.

This is your (and childminding help's) campaign, so we're not dying to take over - we's just love to make it as successful as possible - we think it has real potential.

Let me know if there's a good time for one of us to call you tomorrow - it'll only take ten minutes or so.

All best wishes, and good luck once again.

John

Mine:

John, don't apologize chasing makes things happen!!

I'll give you some history.

We initially tried to set up a number 10 petition - they rejected our first submission within hours. We resubmitted an even more concise petition and its still pending approval - we have to wait up to 7 days - its been 3 already and we felt we didn't want to loose the momentum that was being generated by media attention to the story.

I then found your site and we decided to get the ball rolling - and here we are.

We need to focus on a UK base for signatures - whilst its lovely that people outside the UK are supporting the cause, if we want Government to listen and take notice its more likely to happen if the signatures are raised primarily in the UK. We WANT to reach as many people as we can and so we will take all the help we can get whether that be in the press or through email campaigns.

This petition is running along side a campaign co-ordinated by NCMA for childminders to write to MP's, and they are - but not enough of them! We realized that we can't just rely on childminder support on this.

We felt the petition was important so parents could get involved and have their voices heard. I too think this campaign has legs - though we need people with contacts to support and run with it - if you are one of those people John, we are all ears.

uf353432
23-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I have also email ****** to ask for support - given that they have just linked up with NCMA - it might be something that they want to get involved in.

Smiley
23-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Excellent news
All the hard work may be paying off :)

Penny1959
23-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Fantastic - good work uf

I have pm you my email address

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Amazing work. :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
23-05-2012, 09:17 PM
brilliant, have been on mumsnet posting in working parents sections and forces bits:thumbsup:

georgie456
23-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Signed and shared and it's currently being signed by lots of my facebook friends :)

scoobydoo1
23-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Just signed and shared on facebook:clapping:

loocyloo
24-05-2012, 06:21 AM
being nosy, is there a way of seeing the list of people who have signed the petition?

just curious to see who, of those that i know have read my email/seen petition & signed! as i just looked and a childminder i had down as a PRO deregulation ( meaning she could go back to doing nothing:rolleyes: ) has signed!

desiderata
24-05-2012, 06:31 AM
yeah you can you load the petition and at the bottom it gives some of the people who have signed but its impossible to see over 1000 signatures which is what we have now !!! keep going girls. I have posted on Heart fm and lots of other places too. we need to keep this rolling. Its brilliant news so many people are listening to us x

Pauline
24-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Brilliant Debbie. I've Facebooked it on The Forum and Childminding Help pages.:thumbsup:

uf353432
24-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Yes at any point I can print the petition to PDF - I did this yesterday and it was already 43 pages long!! lol!

If anyone wants to see it PM me your email addy and i'll email it over

Debs

uf353432
24-05-2012, 01:45 PM
for those of you who use email widely - copy the link with the words to have people visit and sign and share to your email signature - every time you email anyone - you are asking reminding them about the cause.

ORKSIE
24-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Signed :thumbsup:

x

uf353432
24-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Past 1800 mark so far :clapping::clapping:

We will go past 2000 today - I can feel it in my waters

Pauline
24-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Just added this as a notice to the front of the forum so that people will see the link when they browse :thumbsup:

Hopefully it will catch those that miss some threads and posts. :)

snufflepuff
24-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Done, and I'm just trying to post it on my facebook page now x

uf353432
24-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Just added this as a notice to the front of the forum so that people will see the link when they browse :thumbsup:

Hopefully it will catch those that miss some threads and posts. :)

thats fab, it was the first thing i noticed when i logged in- thanks paulene x

The Juggler
24-05-2012, 04:10 PM
this is brilliant. well done girls. :clapping:

Heaven Scent
24-05-2012, 04:26 PM
for those of you who use email widely - copy the link with the words to have people visit and sign and share to your email signature - every time you email anyone - you are asking reminding them about the cause.

As I've said a million times on here I'm not at all IT literate - so would you be kind enough give me a finely broken down idiots guide into how to do this please and I'll gladly do it!!! thanks,

Pauline
24-05-2012, 04:42 PM
I meant to ask, is there a time limit on getting signatures? when will it end?

uf353432
24-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I meant to ask, is there a time limit on getting signatures? when will it end?

i've got it set to 31st August at the moment - but we can change it

Pauline
24-05-2012, 05:32 PM
i've got it set to 31st August at the moment - but we can change it

Thanks Debbie, that's great, just needed to know when to take down notices etc. :thumbsup:

uf353432
24-05-2012, 06:16 PM
This email just in from Bromley:

Hi Debbie

We have posted A link to this on our facebook group and when the webdesigner is back from uni shortly we will get her to add it as a news item. Hope you get a good response

Best wishes

BCMA

Well done Bromley with our sincere thanks :)

green puppy
24-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Really good work, thanks! I have passed the link to all cm's in my area and also parents and local children's centre (manager very pro cm's!).:thumbsup:

JCrakers
24-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Two of my parents have signed..waiting for more when they get the email.

uf353432
24-05-2012, 07:39 PM
We have just passed 2000 sigs - :clapping::clapping:

Heaven Scent
24-05-2012, 07:58 PM
We have just passed 2000 sigs - :clapping::clapping:

Brill :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

lubanana
24-05-2012, 08:03 PM
When you put your mind to it you really get things going, good on you Debs,
have got to put the dreaded smileys up for you -

desiderata
24-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I have just been out for 2 hours delivering flyers about this and the ones that answered the door were all for signing and I have spoken to 3 people that teach at 3 different schools to the one I have badgered and they are taking them into school tomorrow to get other teachers to sign. !! I have also spoken to 2 local pharmacists who are going to pass this on and they do not agree with it either.
Lets see how many we reach tomorrow . I dont think they realise we are so strong in fighting them x

loocyloo
24-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I have just been out for 2 hours delivering flyers about this and the ones that answered the door were all for signing and I have spoken to 3 people that teach at 3 different schools to the one I have badgered and they are taking them into school tomorrow to get other teachers to sign. !! I have also spoken to 2 local pharmacists who are going to pass this on and they do not agree with it either.
Lets see how many we reach tomorrow . I dont think they realise we are so strong in fighting them x

well done, you have been working hard.

would you be able to add your flyer somewhere for people to download, and pass onto people? thank you

uf353432
24-05-2012, 09:04 PM

super job!! well done you! :clapping:

desiderata
24-05-2012, 09:15 PM
just googled the epetition and found it on Essential Childminder !! sorry if its already been posted x

uf353432
24-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Nice - I don't think we knew that - excellant

cherry
25-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Signed and sent to other minders :thumbsup:

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Keep up the good work everyone - fab idea about the flyers desiderata :D

Just checked and up to 2221 signatures

Target for today - 3500?

uf353432
25-05-2012, 08:15 AM
When we get past 3000 we will have acheived more responses than the NCMA consultation - so that will be a good first milestone.

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Just noticed that Charlie Rice - ex ncma - has signed

Heaven Scent
25-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Do we need 100,000? or is that just the maximum that the survey will take? Apparently there are 67,000 childminders out there so with them and their families and minded families 100,000 in theory should be achievable - but none of my family live in the UK - I'll get DH on to it when he come home tomorrow.

uf353432
25-05-2012, 10:45 AM
100000 is the magic number to get something debated in parliment. But to be honest any significant number objecting to these plans should in theory make people sit up and take notice - for MP's to perhaps start questioning it rather than saying yes to any changes proposed. What we are trying to do is cause rather large waves to say 'Stop! you have a very good workforce here, include them in your discussions, we have idea's and a vested interest'

Keep doing what you are doing everyone - don't forget to remind people again on facebook - it can take up to 7 times before someone responds to something - so shamelessly tell people at every opportunity.

I'm on a course tomorrow I shall be canvassing support during my lunch break - going to print off some leaflets this afternoon to take with me.

loocyloo
25-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Keep doing what you are doing everyone - don't forget to remind people again on facebook - it can take up to 7 times before someone responds to something - so shamelessly tell people at every opportunity.

I'm on a course tomorrow I shall be canvassing support during my lunch break - going to print off some leaflets this afternoon to take with me.

i'm telling everyone i meet, if i have time to mention it! a prospective mum came round today and was horrified by the thoughts!

please, does someone have a leaflet/flyer that can be put on the forum that can be downloaded and printed off? i'll then distribute them. i just can't write anything concise enough!:rolleyes:

Heaven Scent
25-05-2012, 10:52 AM
100000 is the magic number to get something debated in parliment. But to be honest any significant number objecting to these plans should in theory make people sit up and take notice - for MP's to perhaps start questioning it rather than saying yes to any changes proposed. What we are trying to do is cause rather large waves to say 'Stop! you have a very good workforce here, include them in your discussions, we have idea's and a vested interest'

I know the cause and the reason for the petition and how it works - I just wondered if 100,000 was needed before it could be considered in Parliament and believe me I have Mrs Truss hiding under a rock at the moment - I am bombarding her with requests for her rational behind her report at every opportunity to which she replies - "have you read the report" - she did suggest the two tiered system to me very early in the week but hasn't replied as yet - how she sees that working.

uf353432
25-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I know the cause and the reason for the petition and how it works - I just wondered if 100,000 was needed before it could be considered in Parliament and believe me I have Mrs Truss hiding under a rock at the moment - I am bombarding her with requests for her rational behind her report at every opportunity to which she replies - "have you read the report" - she did suggest the two tiered system to me very early in the week but hasn't replied as yet - how she sees that working.

I don't know the answer to that yet, it depends how much media interest we get from our side - generally speaking the media plays a big part in what becomes topical in politics - and Penny & I are working on that with Change at the moment.

uf353432
25-05-2012, 10:59 AM
i'm telling everyone i meet, if i have time to mention it! a prospective mum came round today and was horrified by the thoughts!

please, does someone have a leaflet/flyer that can be put on the forum that can be downloaded and printed off? i'll then distribute them. i just can't write anything concise enough!:rolleyes:

I'll design something up after lunch and put it on here as a pdf for people to print off. xx

uf353432
25-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Campaign Leaflet - please print and distribute.

I should point out that it is aimed at other childminders - you can use it for parents and families and people in the street - but you will need to point out that point 2 is for childminders.

NOTE BY PAULINE: For those who cannot download from here, the campaign leaflets are also on the free downloads: http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/freedownloads.html

Pauline
25-05-2012, 01:24 PM

I should point out that it is aimed at other childminders - you can use it for parents and families and people in the street - but you will need to point out that point 2 is for childminders.

You forgot 4) Come to the Childminding Forum if you want to discuss it :D

The Juggler
25-05-2012, 01:32 PM

brilliant UF. just did a newsletter but will use your leaflet instead :D

uf353432
25-05-2012, 01:37 PM
You forgot 4) Come to the Childminding Forum if you want to discuss it :D

oh ******! sorry Paulene - :blush:

we will get a way to get the forum mentioned - don't worry.

uf353432
25-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Right Paulene I have added to point 3 to come and discuss xx

Pauline
25-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Right Paulene I have added to point 3 to come and discuss xx

Oh bless you, I was only teasing :)

I will add the leaflet to the free downloads because non members/very new members will not be able to download it from this thread.:thumbsup:

uf353432
25-05-2012, 02:15 PM
brilliant x

Pauline
25-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Done: http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/freedownloads.html

I've also added it to the post with your download. :)

Penny1959
25-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Oh bless you, I was only teasing :)

I will add the leaflet to the free downloads because non members/very new members will not be able to download it from this thread.:thumbsup:

Thank you Pauline - it is very kind of you and good that all forum users will be able to access it.

georgie456
25-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi
Just thought you'd like to know that I had emails from our development workers today with links to your petition urging us to sign! Word is getting out!!!!!

Zoomie
25-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Just wanted to mention that deregulate has a space in the word, in the 2nd line of the first paragraph.

Also, I have had a couple of emails from change.org telling me some friends have signed the petition. However some other friends from FB have told me in comments on FB that they have signed, but no such email confirmation has come from change.org. Are they lying to me ? :(

debbie1
25-05-2012, 06:42 PM
signed it :clapping:

miffy
25-05-2012, 06:59 PM

NOTE BY PAULINE: For those who cannot download from here, the campaign leaflets are also on the free downloads: http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/freedownloads.html

Thank you :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Monkey26
26-05-2012, 10:05 AM
We are so gonna hit 3,000 today!!! :D xx

Kiddleywinks
26-05-2012, 11:02 AM
3001 and still growing :clapping:

Penny1959
26-05-2012, 11:03 AM
We are so gonna hit 3,000 today!!! :D xx

We have :clapping:

Just passed the 3000

Keep going

Thank you everyone from me and Debbie

loocyloo
26-05-2012, 11:05 AM
We have :clapping:

Just passed the 3000

Keep going

Thank you everyone from me and Debbie

:jump for joy::jump for joy::jump for joy:

jane5
26-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Signed :clapping:

flowerpots
26-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Just share on my wedding planning forum. :laughing:

uf353432
26-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I have had a very productive day today :)

I attended a playworker training day and with the LA blessing I was able to give a campaign leaflet to all the childminders and playworkers in attendance. There were around 50 of them in the room. The first 3 childminders I spoke to had already signed the petition, done the survey and were this weekend writing to MP's.

I then had the opportunity to talk with one of the playworker people - she knows alot of people and also works for CACHE - she said she had already seen the petition as it was emailed around CACHE yesterday - she is going to let as many people know about it as well.

I then had the opportunity to speak to another playworker person - she works for YMCA and also knows the person who runs the 0-19 forum who links up with vast qty of people. She is going to support the cause by telling as many people in YMCA and she will email me the chair of the 0-19 forum email address so that I can contact her personally.

Then the first playworker I spoke to gave me an opportunity to address the group of people I was working with (12 people) and tell them why they should sign the petition - they all nodded and seemed to be on board.

Oh and I put it on my OU forum as well - we are having a guest forum this week - so all the different tutor groups for the whole course will have seen the link and people have posted to say they have signed.

I infiltrated all the big CM groups on Facebook and posted the link - in addition to the work some of the ladies had already done, some had no presence in there - so they do now :)

More of the same please loL!

Susana0600
26-05-2012, 04:03 PM
signed up! :clapping::clapping:

Muffin
26-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I've just signed :):)

mrs_scottydog
26-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I've signed too. Hx

Smiley
26-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Indeed you have had a very productive day, I bet you were thrilled at being able to get the message across to so many. :clapping:
I shall be spreading the word next week at my LA childminder forum

Penny1959
26-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I have had a very productive day today :)

I attended a playworker training day and with the LA blessing I was able to give a campaign leaflet to all the childminders and playworkers in attendance. There were around 50 of them in the room. The first 3 childminders I spoke to had already signed the petition, done the survey and were this weekend writing to MP's.

I then had the opportunity to talk with one of the playworker people - she knows alot of people and also works for CACHE - she said she had already seen the petition as it was emailed around CACHE yesterday - she is going to let as many people know about it as well.

I then had the opportunity to speak to another playworker person - she works for YMCA and also knows the person who runs the 0-19 forum who links up with vast qty of people. She is going to support the cause by telling as many people in YMCA and she will email me the chair of the 0-19 forum email address so that I can contact her personally.

Then the first playworker I spoke to gave me an opportunity to address the group of people I was working with (12 people) and tell them why they should sign the petition - they all nodded and seemed to be on board.

Oh and I put it on my OU forum as well - we are having a guest forum this week - so all the different tutor groups for the whole course will have seen the link and people have posted to say they have signed.

I infiltrated all the big CM groups on Facebook and posted the link - in addition to the work some of the ladies had already done, some had no presence in there - so they do now :)

More of the same please loL!

Wow that is a lot of people who have now been informed - fantastic :thumbsup:

My day has not been very productive campaign wise - but it has with the twin gransons who are staying - without mummy and daddy overnight.

Penny1959
26-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Helen Moylett just signed - is it the famous one?

uf353432
27-05-2012, 07:44 AM
To keep the signatures coming, try seeking out news articles related to your issue and join the conversation in the comment threads. This will expose your petition both to the readers of the news articles, as well as the writers - journalists frequently read comments on their own stories.

To get the best response:

Present a thoughtful comment to a news story that is closely related to your petition. The more insightful and credible your comment, the more compelled people will be to check your petition out.
Try to say something that will provoke a positive response from others. A comment that gets lots of positive feedback from others, will be more frequently read.
If the comments are threaded (organized by responses), get your post near the top by responding to a comment near the top.
Remember, online readers are particular sensitive to posts that look like spam. So, use your real name, and don't just post a link.

sarah707
27-05-2012, 08:08 AM
I am sending out quite a lot of newsletter emails later today and over the coming weeks about my updated e-books and I have added a petition link to the emails ...

I will also put it on my blogs which will hopefully do a little to add to the exposure of the link :D

uf353432
27-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Brilliant - thank you Sarah x

sarah707
27-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Here is the wording that is going on my blogs in a moment along with some answers to frequently asked questions about the EYFS and other bits and bobs about childminding...

Blogs here - http://knutsfordchildminding.blogspot.co.uk/

And here - http://www.knutsfordchildmindingresources.co.uk/

I feel I have earned a coffee now! :D

A petition to protect our jobs!

Our self employed status and incomes are seriously under threat by government suggestions that we might work via an agency (who take a percentage of our income, control our fees and invoicing etc) in the future.

Some reports have suggested that the agency which controls childminders might be local nurseries - can you imagine your income being reliant on referrals from the local nursery, often your biggest competition!?!

These threats to our future sustainability are linked to a report written by Conservative MP Elizabeth Truss which basically suggests that childminders are not capable of running their own businesses!

It will potentially open up a 2 tier system where nurseries and pre-schools are registered with and inspected by Ofsted and childminders no longer have individual Ofsted registration or inspection reports.

We will also possibly be asked to work for less money … with more children!!

Please take a moment to read and sign this petition to protect your income and self employed status in the future -

http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders

Please pass it on to all your childminder friends via Facebook, Twitter etc and write to your local MP (copy to Ms Truss and the Chief Inspector of Ofsted Mr Willshaw) and local councilors to ask for their support.

The more coverage we can get on this issue, the more our businesses will hopefully be protected.

The deregulation issue is being discussed on the Childminding Forum - so don’t forget to pop back regularly for updates.

uf353432
27-05-2012, 09:45 AM
very good - yes go and put your feet up with a warm brew :laughing:

desiderata
27-05-2012, 11:03 AM
just went to pick up my emails and quite a few of my friends have signed for us, but also saw a story about Richard Branson not liking the coalition or something on the news feed so I have looked up his twitter account and sent him a link to the petition too !! you never know xx

loocyloo
27-05-2012, 11:07 AM
just went to pick up my emails and quite a few of my friends have signed for us, but also saw a story about Richard Branson not liking the coalition or something on the news feed so I have looked up his twitter account and sent him a link to the petition too !! you never know xx

:D:D:D:D:D

uf353432
27-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Today has been a slow day for the petition numbers - Just over 3700 signed and dribbling in sporadically through the day.

Could everyone before they go to bed do a mass Facebook link to petition and if on Twitter do the same so that loads of people see it on facebook and twitter in the morning?

If you are on pinterest there is a pin on there as well which you can repin.

Hopefully when people return to their work places tomorrow the numbers will start clocking up again. Yesterday was a GOOD day for the petition.

Just to boost your confidence that what we are doing is a good thing:

The petition has only been live since mid afternoon last Monday - in less than a week we have clocked over 3700 signatures.

The NCMA survey only got 2900 people complete it in many more weeks than that. So people do care, they are signing and we are doing a great job.

Many organisations and supporters of childminders have posted, linked and forwarded on our behalf and will continue to spread the word.

Hopefully next week we will get some media interest and that might liven things up a bit.

Keep going people - :thumbsup:

Penny1959
27-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Today has been a slow day for the petition numbers - Just over 3700 signed and dribbling in sporadically through the day.

Could everyone before they go to bed do a mass Facebook link to petition and if on Twitter do the same so that loads of people see it on facebook and twitter in the morning?

If you are on pinterest there is a pin on there as well which you can repin.

Hopefully when people return to their work places tomorrow the numbers will start clocking up again. Yesterday was a GOOD day for the petition.

Just to boost your confidence that what we are doing is a good thing:

The petition has only been live since mid afternoon last Monday - in less than a week we have clocked over 3700 signatures.

The NCMA survey only got 2900 people complete it in many more weeks than that. So people do care, they are signing and we are doing a great job.

Many organisations and supporters of childminders have posted, linked and forwarded on our behalf and will continue to spread the word.

Hopefully next week we will get some media interest and that might liven things up a bit.

Keep going people - :thumbsup:

DITTO :thumbsup:

Plus next week we have the media release planned by change.org, my letter should be in nursery world, quite a few are sending their LA the briefing - and loads are giving out the leaflets. Organisation joining us over the last couple of days are now spreading the news to their members - so we should see an increase in signatures.

Each signature will make a difference - even if we don't get the 100,000 signatures people are noticing and are talking about it - and if we get a few more - maybe Debbie will get to go the Breakfast Show sofa!

Thank you all so much - I know a lot of you have given a lot of time to this over the last week - and I am sure like me you are shattered - and 'other things' have not been done - but it is worth it :thumbsup:

uf353432
27-05-2012, 09:15 PM
erm - i'm not sitting on the sofa on my own - I will be seeking voluteers!

miffy
27-05-2012, 09:33 PM
erm - i'm not sitting on the sofa on my own - I will be seeking voluteers!

I volunteer".............................. Penny and Sarah :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

miffy
27-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Here is the wording that is going on my blogs in a moment along with some answers to frequently asked questions about the EYFS and other bits and bobs about childminding...

Blogs here - http://knutsfordchildminding.blogspot.co.uk/

And here - http://www.knutsfordchildmindingresources.co.uk/

I feel I have earned a coffee now! :D

A petition to protect our jobs!

Our self employed status and incomes are seriously under threat by government suggestions that we might work via an agency (who take a percentage of our

income, control our fees and invoicing etc) in the future.

Some reports have suggested that the agency which controls childminders might be local nurseries - can you imagine your income being reliant on referrals from the local nursery, often your biggest competition!?!

These threats to our future sustainability are linked to a report written by Conservative MP Elizabeth Truss which basically suggests that childminders are not capable of running their own businesses!

It will potentially open up a 2 tier system where nurseries and pre-schools are registered with and inspected by Ofsted and childminders no longer have individual Ofsted registration or inspection reports.

We will also possibly be asked to work for less money … with more children!!

Please take a moment to read and sign this petition to protect your income and self employed status in the future -

http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders

Please pass it on to all your childminder friends via Facebook, Twitter etc and write to your local MP (copy to Ms Truss and the Chief Inspector of Ofsted Mr Willshaw) and local councilors to ask for their support.

The more coverage we can get on this issue, the more our businesses will hopefully be protected.

The deregulation issue is being discussed on the Childminding Forum - so don’t forget to pop back regularly for updates.

Thanks Sarah - have you written anything for parents you could share?

Miffy xx

sarah707
27-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks Sarah - have you written anything for parents you could share?

Miffy xx

There are ideas for questions to ask / information to give parents in the document I wrote here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101392

Is that what you want? If not give me a better brief and I'm sure I can come up with something :D

miffy
27-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Sorry I have read that once, I'll have another read and see if I can sort something out from there, thanks xx

Penny1959
27-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I volunteer".............................. Penny and Sarah :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

No problem - I volunteer for most things - especially things that take me out of my comfort zone - and then panic about what I have done

I will sit on sofa if needed

debratina
28-05-2012, 06:32 AM
ping - light blub moment lol
stuck a leaflet on the front door to see what the parents have to say

miffy
28-05-2012, 06:54 AM
ping - light blub moment lol
stuck a leaflet on the front door to see what the parents have to say

Good idea - let us know what response you get.

Miffy xx

Penny1959
28-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Have seen MM have signed petition :clapping:

debratina
28-05-2012, 10:11 AM
miffy
one of my parents didnt even know what deregulation meant and he's in a very good job

miffy
28-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Just looked and we've just passed 4000 :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Miffy xx

Penny1959
28-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Just looked and we've just passed 4000 :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Miffy xx

:clapping: Thank You All - from Debbie, me, childminders up and down the country - even those who don't know about it yet

and most importantly from the children -

I think people will start to take a bit more notice now - and if we keep going what will the 'number' be this time next week?

miffy
28-05-2012, 12:29 PM
It's truly a fabulous achievement in such a short space of time.

Hope the ball keeps rolling and we gather more and more support

Miffy xx

JCrakers
28-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Emailed about 18 childminders on Thurs morning with the link...not got 1 response yet :( Also the LA haven't replied to my email either.

uf353432
28-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I've just had a phone call from a childminder called Ann in Dartford, she has advised Nursery World would like to do a article on the petition and wanted my details to pass onto the person who has interviewed her.

She also has a student working for her at the moment - who is taking the details of the campaign to her college to canvass support in addition to her whole address book.

Momentum is still gathering - keep doing a fab job!

uf353432
28-05-2012, 01:49 PM
http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/rss/1134102/Thousands-protest-proposals-deregulate-childminding/

:D

and a sweet link to the petition! nice!

Penny1959
28-05-2012, 01:56 PM
http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/rss/1134102/Thousands-protest-proposals-deregulate-childminding/

:D

and a sweet link to the petition! nice!

Fantastic :clapping:

uf353432
28-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Its been a great day for the petition - over 4300 sigs already - I would love to think that we would be close to 4500 by bedtime tonight - I hope that this is the start of an avalanche of sigs. Feeling very optimistic that the campaign is hotting up. :clapping:

jumping j
28-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Just created an event and invited all my facebook friends to join the event and sign the petition, hopefully it'll boost the signatures a little

loocyloo
29-05-2012, 08:29 AM
just had a chat with my DO ... she has had a chat with the head DO for North Yorkshire and it is going to the BOSS and will then hopefully go out in an email to ALL childcare settings in the whole of north yorkshire :D

Zoomie
29-05-2012, 05:46 PM
155 to go to 5000 :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Just met a neighbourhood childminder who had heard snippets but is keen to sign, so I will be dropping off some leaflets for her tomorrow.

uf353432
29-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I can't believe we are so close to 5000, this time last week I was worried we would ever get to 500!!!

Wow! everyone is doing a tremendous job - but please keep posting on facebook and twitter people - keep the story current!

lottieslittlelambs
29-05-2012, 07:19 PM
signed and shared on fb, will share with local childminding group x

Helcatt
29-05-2012, 07:35 PM
I emailed all the childminders in my address book last night. Not sure if it will get us far, I know I spoke to a few last week who would sign, but others are keen on de-reg

Haven't been out to groups for a few days, so not had any feedback

HX

miffy
29-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Total signatures so far 4953! Wow, it's been rising steadily all day, maybe it will make 5000 tonight!

Miffy xx

Penny1959
29-05-2012, 09:30 PM
5000 reached and passed :clapping::clapping:

Thank you everyone from Debbie and me

Monkey26
30-05-2012, 07:43 PM
My best friend's fella is out in Afgan at the moment and he has emailed to say that he has signed the petition for us :thumbsup: he also said he is gonna forward it to some of the lads so even better if they get signing too :laughing: xx

AgentTink
30-05-2012, 08:23 PM
I've just come back from a childminder revised eyfs meeting with about 30 childminders. At the end of the session our LA lady who was running the course mentioned deregulation and gave everybody a copy of nursery world document, I then pipped in with a heap of leaflets from this forum for the petition. I was amazed how many knew nothing of the proposals and what they might mean. So hopefully this will get the word spread around Sefton a bit more.

The Juggler
30-05-2012, 09:08 PM
my SIL in cyprus has just signed and forwarded to her friends on FB :clapping:

miffy
31-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Just passed 5,500 :clapping:

Keep it going! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Susana0600
31-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Done!!!!:clapping::clapping:

loocyloo
01-06-2012, 07:51 AM
:D:D:D

just glanced at the petition ;) ( its always open on the desktop! i like to keep a check on it during the day ) and one of my old parents has signed it :D :D :D

NickyKD
01-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I've just signed and will letting all parents know and e-mailing other CM to get them on board aswell.

Thank you starting this

Nicky

Rubybubbles
01-06-2012, 12:56 PM
:clapping: look at the numbers!

julie w
01-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Ive received a reply from my MP Joan Walley expressing her concern about the possible situation and she has written to Sarah Teather MP about her concerns. She will then write to me again. One thing that has made me think is, how can deregulisation lead to cheaper childcare? Whoever is inspecting me will make no difference to how much I charge. Am I missing a point here somewhere?

green puppy
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
All my parents, local cm's, children's centre staff and local nursery satff have signed it to. Parents have also put it on facebook to share with others.:thumbsup:

Lady Haha
02-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Ive received a reply from my MP Joan Walley expressing her concern about the possible situation and she has written to Sarah Teather MP about her concerns. She will then write to me again. One thing that has made me think is, how can deregulisation lead to cheaper childcare? Whoever is inspecting me will make no difference to how much I charge. Am I missing a point here somewhere?

I think this is where the higher ratios come in. If you can care for more children you can supposedly charge less for each one......

jelly15
02-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Done today

tetti
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Signed it yesterday,and sent a group email to all the other childminders in my area.Has anyone posted on Mumsnet and Netmums?

tetti
02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Just saw a thread on Mumsnet,but only 23 posters...not great :/
It is a very influential site,so if this petition could get highlighted,that would be great.

uf353432
02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Tetti - It probably has - but don't let that stop you from posting again. Seriously if everyone posted on netmums and mumsnet they might start registering it as something they keep seeing and MIGHT just look into it a bit more rather than dismissing it. Post where ever and whenever as many times as you can. best wishes

tetti
02-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Just emailed them,let's see if I'll get a reply.

tetti
02-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks very much for your email about your petition regarding childminders being deregulated; it sounds like an interesting issue, and we will forward your mail to our Campaigns team to see whether it's something they could consider taking on.

However, we don’t really 'do' editorial content of this sort on Mumsnet (most of our content is generated from our users' posts on our talkboards), and we also have a policy of not encouraging threads specifically about individual e-petitions on our boards, as our members tend to see such posts as spam.

However, you're welcome to start a thread about this issue – without the link to the petition – on our talkboard; it's perhaps one way to discover whether your campaign is something that our members would be interested in. [[Perhaps suggest the appropriate topic area or Local]] You have to be a member to post, but it's free and easy to sign up.

Thanks again for contacting us,

Best wishes
Toni
MNHQ

PRC
03-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Hi, already done it and share it. Non living UK persons can also sign the petition? If yes I have some friends back in Portugal that don't mind increasing the numbers.

tetti
03-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I think so,but I read somewhere that the more people based in the UK that sings,the better,as it is an issue affecting the childminders and parents living here.
I emailed my local MP Lynne Featherstone (Lib Dem) this afternoon,not sure if anyone else already has,but the more of us who contact out local MP's the better.The thought of this proposition actually going through fills me with absolute dread,the consequences would be devastating.
I for one would certainly like to continue to be inspected by Ofsted as it gives our profession the credibility that it so deserves,I also would not like for an agency to take control of how I run my business.I have spent 6 years building it up,I have a great reputation locally,simnply because I,like every other childminder puts the need to the children first,whereas many nursery settings are simply money motivated (I know some local nurseries that charge up to £90/day !)
And to pay an agency 10% of my earnings,that is beyond a joke,as a single parent childminder,that is money that I cannot afford to lose of my already meagre income .I cannot believe they did not even think of discussing this proposal without asking for any input from us childminders and parents first.But then again,that's this government for you....

caresite
06-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Signed and shared.:clapping:

caresite
06-06-2012, 10:32 AM
I think this is where the higher ratios come in. If you can care for more children you can supposedly charge less for each one......

I have the same question.

uf353432
06-06-2012, 10:58 AM
NCMA now have a link under the members area for the petition - My Voice - Invidual Inspection Matters - at the bottom.

Hopefully anyone stumbling across it will sign.

The e newsletter goes out end of this week and it will also be in there as well.

loocyloo
06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
NCMA now have a link under the members area for the petition - My Voice - Invidual Inspection Matters - at the bottom.

The e newsletter goes out end of this week and it will also be in there as well.

:clapping:

good news.

Rubybubbles
11-06-2012, 04:44 PM

yes it came through on NCMA email:thumbsup:

Fabby
02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Sorry, I really don't understand what is going on here? Could someone explain in simple terms please? :blush:

Penny1959
02-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Sorry, I really don't understand what is going on here? Could someone explain in simple terms please? :blush:

Hello

In basic terms the government are looking to save money

One way they are considering is major changes to the regulation of childminders.

This WILL impact on our businesses

we may not be able to be self employed - and instead become part of an agency who dictate what we do

We may no longer have individual inspections - please not this does not mean can do what we like - will still be 'rules' and paperwork

We may have to pay 10% or more of income to cover the costs of the changes / agencies

We have set up a petition to urge the government to fully consult and to consider the consequenes of their actions

Fabby
04-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Hello

In basic terms the government are looking to save money

One way they are considering is major changes to the regulation of childminders.

This WILL impact on our businesses

we may not be able to be self employed - and instead become part of an agency who dictate what we do

We may no longer have individual inspections - please not this does not mean can do what we like - will still be 'rules' and paperwork

We may have to pay 10% or more of income to cover the costs of the changes / agencies

We have set up a petition to urge the government to fully consult and to consider the consequenes of their actions

Thanks for explaining to me in simple terms :thumbsup:

ZoeM
12-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Signed it :)

ZoeM
12-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Also if people are not regulated surely you will have houses crammed full of children not being stimulated and parents being charged the same prices?! I cant see how this is going to work and I feel very worried about the safeguarding of children for the future if this is going to be the case!
:angry:

RCTLisa
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
I've signed it but it won't let me share it on FB for some reason

Ant_h18
04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I have Signed it :):):)

EmilyWalker
06-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Can someone tell me how to sign the petition please and where i can find info on what this is all about? thank you :) xx

playdays2412
14-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi

I have just set up my childminders a month ago i have 4 children on my books and am worried that im not doing enough we have posted 3000 leaflets through doors, posted the town centre being cars windows at tesco and local places mums visit. We have advertied on the NCMA and childcare.co.uk and have a website. So i was just wondering if there was a busy time of year and a slow time of year as was told that the summer holidays were slow and october busy

can anyone give some advice and reassurance:laughing:

loocyloo
14-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Can someone tell me how to sign the petition please and where i can find info on what this is all about? thank you :) xx

if you go to the first post in this thread, there is a link at the bottom for the petition. clickon it and it should take you to the petition.

thank you x

Suebb1
04-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Is any one able to tell me when this petition was CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Juggler
04-09-2012, 09:32 PM
its open again now. :)

rickysmiths
04-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Yes a cm worked hard to get it reopened.

Playmate
05-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Yes it is open again so please please pease make everyone you know aware of it and ask them to share it too! Email everyone on your contacts list, use facebook or any other social networking site you use, but most importantly ask you freinds to share :D

Pipsqueak
05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders

get signing people

scottishlass
05-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Hi

I have signed, still in the process of registering in scotland at the moment and although I don't think its for here at the moment - still important as pretty sure would soon follow here. (and of course still important to support everyone else!:))

Helcatt
05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
have re-posted on my facebook page and will be printing leaflets to hand around at playgroups and the like when we start back next week

I can't stand Elizabeth Truss, she has no idea about the "real world" that real people live and work in

loocyloo
05-09-2012, 07:27 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

an ofsted inspector i know ( she doesn't do childminders ... says we are amazing fantastic people and she would hate to have to inspect us :D )

is going to take the info about the petition to a training session tomorrow !!! there will be lots of ofsted early years people there ....

Newbie2012
06-09-2012, 07:21 PM
I have signed but cannot share on FB!! :(
Am hoping this is not the case as I have just taken this career path to spend more time at home with my children!!

loocyloo
10-09-2012, 09:55 AM
just spoke to my aquaintance who is a (primary schools) ofsted inspector. she was at training last week and was talking to some early years inspectors. they say they know about deregulation and they expect it to happen. :(

lozzy23
10-09-2012, 10:13 AM
just spoke to my aquaintance who is a (primary schools) ofsted inspector. she was at training last week and was talking to some early years inspectors. they say they know about deregulation and they expect it to happen. :(

I think that when Elizabeth Truss became Minister for Early Years the nail moved closer to the coffin.:mad::(

It all seems to be about cheaper childcare and not about the children.

PRC
10-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Hello,

It seems there is still some questions and different opinions of what this will change to us childminders, every time I speak with someone they tell me a different cenario for the future.

If this really happens what will change after all for us? Just trying to get my facts stright :S

jillplum
14-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I have signed the petition and will be telling all my CM friends about it too. crazy to think all the hard work of the last 10 years could be thrown away :panic: