PDA

View Full Version : Breakages!

LittleLegsCM
23-05-2012, 06:25 AM
I know with the job we do, there are going to be some damage of some sort a long the way as the little ones get to grips with themselves and learn to push boundaries etc I totally get that and expect it now & then but at 9 years old, surely by now they should have some common sense for gawd sake!!

I was just in the kitchen making their breakfast when my 9 year old mindee thought it would be clever to try & sit on one of the chairs from the toddler table & chair set! Needless to say he was way too big for it and he's broken it!

What a great start to the day!

miffy
23-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Silly boy!

Not much you can do I don't think, but I would have a word with parents they might offer to buy a replacement.

Miffy xx

LittleLegsCM
23-05-2012, 07:02 AM
The crazy thing is he tried to say his brother asked him too (to sit next to him) but his brother was the other side of the room and at 26 months doesn't say a word apart "huh!"

I know there's nothing that can be done but it's sad to think that even at 9 years old there still doesn't seem to be any sign of common sense.

Cor, when I was that age I wouldn't have even had the bottle to move from my seat, I would sit nicely, speak when spoken to and not before!! Hahaha listen to me, anyone would think I was 86 not 26! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

butterfly
23-05-2012, 07:13 AM
I feel your pain! I have two siblings that are constantly destructive! This morning the lo has destroyed a pom pom all over the floor and that was before 7.30am!

I have a whole heap of resources waiting in the cupboard to come out after half term when they've left - stuff I definitely couldn't trust them not to break!

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 07:20 AM
I would sit him down and make it clear that his behaviour is unacceptable. I would record the incident and your conversation and put it in his file.

I would then tell the parents at pick up and I would be saying how disappointed I was at what xxx had done as he was old enough and had been with me long enough to know better than to break a chair. I had spoken to him and explained the cost in both time and money that was needed to replace it.

Hopefully the parents will also speak to him about it as well. You never know they may offer to pay to replace it.

In general terms though it is covered in Wear and Tear.

leeloo1
23-05-2012, 03:46 PM
I'll go against the grain here, as whilst its annoying that the chair broke... shouldn't it be able to take the weight of a 9 year old? So assuming he wasn't bouncing on it- or hadn't been told 20 times not to sit on it (and isn't sumo wrestler sized) then maybe stronger chairs are called for?

Still deeply irritating when things break though. :(

Mouse
23-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I'll go against the grain here, as whilst its annoying that the chair broke... shouldn't it be able to take the weight of a 9 year old? So assuming he wasn't bouncing on it- or hadn't been told 20 times not to sit on it (and isn't sumo wrestler sized) then maybe stronger chairs are called for?

Still deeply irritating when things break though. :(

I agree with you. If all he did was sit on the chair the poor thing probably felt bad that it had broken under his weight.

If he was deliberately trying to break it it's a different matter, but I wouldn't expect a toddler chair to break with a 9yr old on it and I doubt he would either. What about when we go into school and have to sit on the reception sized chairs? I'm sure they're not built for a rather overweight 40 something year old, but I still sit on them! Perhaps I should use my common sense and stand :laughing:

I'd look for some stronger chairs. Apart from the fact my butt won't fit on my toddler chairs, I can stand on them and they take my weight :clapping:

dette
23-05-2012, 04:07 PM
i have the little wooden table and chairs from IKEA and i always sit on them(to be fair my bum does hang over the edges) and my DH stands on them and he's 15 stone !!!

buzzy bee
23-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Oh no, poor you!

Glad it's not just me though - I have to tell my 9 year old mindee (also a boy) EVERY WEEK not to ride on the ride-on car because it's meant for the little ones.

And every week he "forgets" so I have to tell him again! Am just waiting for him to break it.