PDA

View Full Version : Michael Wilshaws comments

mum2two
22-05-2012, 08:26 PM
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmeduc/uc1819-i/uc181901.htm

Found this as I was trying to find where it all come from.... It's mainly about schools but Q78 - Q85 is the childminding bit - but his comment to Q80 has made me soooo cross.

Talking about the EYFS he talks about important it is for schools to get a progress report on the children before they start, but there is a lack of it. He says 'The centre I visited, A nursery centre in North London, had a wealth of data on how children are progressing, but I suspect that data is not there when inspectors go into childminding settings.'

I have daily diaries, learning journeys, next steps, planning, termly reports, and highlighted EYFS overview of child's termly progress! But no school wants to see anything from me - that has had the child 50 hrs a week since they were 6 months old!! The same person - not moved nursery rooms, had turnover of staff, 6 different keyworkers.....

He clearly knows nothing about childminders, and still perceives us 'babysitters' who stick the kids in front of the tv all day!!!! :angry::angry:

E-mails will be going to him!!!!!!!

ajs
22-05-2012, 08:30 PM
I fear we are fighting a losing battle, if the head of our own regulatory body doesnt see as professional

loocyloo
22-05-2012, 08:31 PM
he doesn't have the foggiest does he? EYFS is law for childminders, therefore the information HAS to be there!

he was on the one show tonight, nothing to do with us, it was teachers he was annoying, but it made me think about contacting the one show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/theoneshow/stories/

email them the link/your response and see if they do anything?

md0u0131
22-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr - he's on my pen of rage list now too!

Smiley
22-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks
I have just read it and now have steam coming out of my ears!! :angry::angry:

murrayspud
22-05-2012, 09:02 PM
He says "every time a youngster goes into a childminding setting, we have to inspect."

Really????? News to me!

Kathryn x

miffy
22-05-2012, 09:09 PM
he doesn't have the foggiest does he? EYFS is law for childminders, therefore the information HAS to be there!

he was on the one show tonight, nothing to do with us, it was teachers he was annoying, but it made me think about contacting the one show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/theoneshow/stories/

email them the link/your response and see if they do anything?

Have you emailed them? I think it's a great idea - having read Wilshaw's replies on the link it's clear he has little regard for childminders and knows **** all ( sorry Pauline) about what we do.

Miffy xx

mum2two
22-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I could not find any way to contact him - so have just sent an e-mail to my local MP.

Kind of went off on one about everything, so prob sounds really stupid, but I'm so angry at the whole thing!!!

I've also sent it to the one show.....

xx

miffy
22-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I thought someone posted Michael Wilshaw's email in another thread the other day, don't know which thread though

Miffy xx

HelenHale
22-05-2012, 09:55 PM
...Talking about the EYFS he talks about important it is for schools to get a progress report on the children before they start, but there is a lack of it. He says 'The centre I visited, A nursery centre in North London, had a wealth of data on how children are progressing, but I suspect that data is not there when inspectors go into childminding settings.'

I have daily diaries, learning journeys, next steps, planning, termly reports, and highlighted EYFS overview of child's termly progress! But no school wants to see anything from me - that has had the child 50 hrs a week since they were 6 months old!! The same person - not moved nursery rooms, had turnover of staff, 6 different keyworkers.....

He clearly knows nothing about childminders, and still perceives us 'babysitters' who stick the kids in front of the tv all day!!!! :angry::angry:

E-mails will be going to him!!!!!!!

I think you should invite him round... if he can find time to visit a nursery... :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 08:44 AM
I have just read the report and I love this comment:

Sir Michael Wilshaw: Yes, I think it does. In childminding the registration process is pretty expensive and we spend a lot of money on it, but we need to think about the future and how we inspect childminding institutions. I do not think we can carry on doing it as we are doing it at the moment: every time a youngster goes into a childminding setting, we have to inspect. That is unsustainable.

My goodness can you imagine if this was true :eek: What planet has he and his advisors dropped off? How can the Head of Ofsted get away with making such a crass comment?

I have just found this report in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/may/10/teachers-dont-know-stress-ofsted-chief

I think we should all email her. She is also on Twitter for those of you who do! Jessica Shepherd Education Correspondent at the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/jessicashepherd

Try and get her to do a positive article on Childminding how it really happens not as Mr Michael Wilshaw portrays his Childminders which is clearly ill informed and not true.

AliceK
23-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I saw last nights One Show talking to Michael Wilshaw. I had read about his comments towards teachers a few weeks ago and it really annoyed me.
I think seeing as childminders weren't mentioned last night we should all e-mail the One Show with our views on the comments he has now made about us. You never know if enough of us contact them they might do something for us too?

Their e-mail address is:
theoneshow@bbc.co.uk

xxxx

Mouse
23-05-2012, 09:44 AM
At least we know it's not just childminders he's got it in for. I wonder if there's any group of professionals he views positively?

watgem
23-05-2012, 11:37 AM
funny this came up at a recent cluster meeting about sharing information at transition times into school/preschool. none of my preschools have ever asked me for any input despite the extensive records kept, like most CM's I have diaries, photos learning journeys etc. School told me directly they were not interested in CM input only preschool/nursery, then when i recently interviewed the reception teacher for my dissertation she said she had no idea about the children we share care interests, schemas, fears etc and I had to really bite my tongue from saying well you told CM you didn't want any input from them. At my Ofsted inspection she wanted to put partnership working down as a recommendation but I asked her if she could reconsider as I have bent over backwards trying to do this, and so she put about my Sef instead. I sometimes feel that so little progress has been made with regard to others perceptions of our professionalsim and the lengths we go to and hoops we jump through to do the best we can for children, and all this man's attitude and talk of deregualtion doesn't help-sorry just realised what a long rant I had::(

guest3
23-05-2012, 12:32 PM
He says "every time a youngster goes into a childminding setting, we have to inspect."

Really????? News to me!

Mmmm exactly what I thought Kathryn! :mad:

loocyloo
23-05-2012, 01:06 PM
well, i have just written a very long waffly email to the one show, starting with micheal wilshaw and ending with elizabeth truss !!

doh, just realisedi didn't mention being inspected by nurseries!. hope someone else has!

TooEarlyForGin?
23-05-2012, 02:24 PM
funny this came up at a recent cluster meeting about sharing information at transition times into school/preschool. none of my preschools have ever asked me for any input despite the extensive records kept, like most CM's I have diaries, photos learning journeys etc. School told me directly they were not interested in CM input only preschool/nursery, then when i recently interviewed the reception teacher for my dissertation she said she had no idea about the children we share care interests, schemas, fears etc and I had to really bite my tongue from saying well you told CM you didn't want any input from them. At my Ofsted inspection she wanted to put partnership working down as a recommendation but I asked her if she could reconsider as I have bent over backwards trying to do this, and so she put about my Sef instead. I sometimes feel that so little progress has been made with regard to others perceptions of our professionalsim and the lengths we go to and hoops we jump through to do the best we can for children, and all this man's attitude and talk of deregualtion doesn't help-sorry just realised what a long rant I had::(

This is one of my "pet" issues. I am fed up with chasing nursery's and pre-schools, to "work in partnership" I have a higher grading than any of my local pre-schools, nursery's or even schools. When I asked a parent how their child had settled in and did they enjoy her learning journey, they told me the school didn't want to see it as they will do their own assessment. :mad:

rickysmiths
23-05-2012, 03:10 PM

I got the recommendation despite showing how hard I had worked to no avail. What annoys me is how then did the school Reception get outstanding when the silly teacher is clearly not working with her cm carers.

loocyloo
23-05-2012, 03:21 PM
i've just spent the day with the local preschool as one of my mindees attends one 2 1/2hr session there a week. and today was their annual outing!!! as mum is at work, i said i would take mindee ( plus i'd been invited as a (the!) local childminder (shows they work with other professionals ;) )

the leader is also a friend. she has told me, that depsite mindee attending since jan, they don't really know anything about him or his family, or what he does.
i reminded her that i have offered several times to show his LJ, and that i could pop in with it tomorrow if she liked? no, what she wants is for ME to fill in the book that they share with home ( sounds like a daily diary! ) i said, oh, they could use mine! no, they need to use theirs! :angry:

so i shall do a few photos of our day to go in his LJ, and a copy for preschool, but i will demand a written note in return, in LJ, to say they have seen it! and whilst i would be happy to give them a run down of what we do each week, i would also like to know what he does with them!

mum2two
23-05-2012, 03:58 PM
well, i have just written a very long waffly email to the one show, starting with micheal wilshaw and ending with elizabeth truss !!

doh, just realisedi didn't mention being inspected by nurseries!. hope someone else has!

I did! Along with everything else. I didn't mention about cm's flexibility & overnight care etc over nurseries though...

xx