PDA

View Full Version : Advice please - What would you have done?

Childminder in Kent
22-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Ok, I'll try to make it short -ish.
I am newly registered so just getting to grip with things. I look after a little girl (M) 6 hrs per day over 3 (can be different) days but with differing start/finish times. I am meant to know the times and days at least one week in advance although I never do - this week I found out on Sunday what times I was needed for Monday.
Mum has been ill this week so dad has been bringing/collecting M - he hasn't before.
Today I was meant to be having M at 11.30am - 5.30pm. I had no minded children this morning untill a different child (J) arrived at 11.25 am and then M was due at 11.30am.
At 11.25am J arrived and I looked out for M and her dad. No signs of them so I went to check my phone just in case there was a message from them. There was - A text at 11.10 and a call/answer message from mum. Both asking if I was at home as dad had brought M to my house at 11am (1/2 hr before I was expecting them) and hadn't got a reply. I reply that yes I am in and sorry I hadn't heard the door knock as wasn't expecting anyone at that time.
Mum replies back - oh ok, they have nipped to the shop and will be with you in a couple of minutes (its now about 11.35am).
Dad and M arrive at 12, after I have sent a text stating that I will be needing to leave home to go on my school run very soon.
Dad asks what time to collect M - By his manner I felt that he was implying/asking if i'd have the child untill 6pm now instead of 5.30 as I had been paid for 6 hrs.
Should I have replied that I will have her for the six hours, or that my times were arranged and I had been available at 11.30 - had dad brought M at the correct time and that i'd only look after M untill 5.30pm?
What would you have done?

butterfly
22-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I would have said 'you booked 11.30-5.30'

It sounds like you need to have a chat with this parent. You cant carry on llike this as very soon you'll be regretting taking them. you need to make it clear that you need to know in advance what hours they need. tell them by when you need to know and explain that if you dont know you will have to give hours to other children.

loocyloo
22-05-2012, 08:25 PM
contracted hours were 11.30-5.30.

they hadn't asked you if they could drop child off earlier, so the fact that you didn't hear door doesn't matter.

however, YOU were there, ready & waiting at 11.30, as per agreement and it was dad who dropped of late, so you should have finished at 5.30.

it is hard, i had a mum who seemed to think that the 4 hours started from whenever she dropped off, unless it was early, in which case it was at 4pm which was the contracted time :rolleyes: took me a few weeks to get mum to understand that we had contracted hours for a reason! ;)

maybe you need to sit down with parents and say you need to know days/hours as agreed, otherwise misunderstandings will occur.

good luck x

Childminder in Kent
22-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Thankyou Butterfly and Loocyloo. I DID say 5.30pm to be collected. I just wanted clarification that I had done the right thing.
I have only been having the child for about a month and have had quite a few problems already - late paying (sorted now), mum arrives late most days - usually when im about to leave on a school run and im waiting for her. Last week she was 25 minutes late collecting and I was almost late getting another child to school because I was waiting.
Having said that the little girl is lovely, gets on wekk with my son and has settled infantastically. Mum is also nice - if a bit 'scatty' for want of a better word!

loocyloo
22-05-2012, 08:37 PM
well done.

don't wait for mum. if you need to leave to take a child/pick up a child, either mum will have to come and find you, or wait till you return. tell her that you WILL leave at X time and its up to her!

good luck x

Childminder in Kent
22-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Yes I know I shouldn't wait. Even last week mum said to me 'I seem to be saying sorry to you a lot lately!'

i think i am going to write a policy about school runs, what to expect i.e that they HAVE to come first

miffy
22-05-2012, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't wait either - just tell parent that you leave at xx time and if they are not with you by then they will have to come and find you, that usually helps focus them :D

Miffy xx

buzzy bee
23-05-2012, 06:23 AM
I'd have said "you've paid til 5.30". Some people are unbelievable - do they not realise we have other children / things to do!! :rolleyes:

muffins
23-05-2012, 06:56 AM
In the past if I have someone with differing hours that isn't very good with letting me know days/hours I've added to their contract that I need hours in writting and signed at least **** in advance or I will asume I'm not needed, however payment will still be due as normal:D

Childminder in Kent
23-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Well, I ended up having to 'have it out' with mum today.
I was paid for 8.30am - 2.30pm today but expecting her at 8.10 (i have a school run for my own children). It gets to 8.15 and I text to ask if she's on the way as I am waiting but need to leave. She replies "Oh don't wait for me, I have overslept, I will bring M to you by 9.30am". I was a bit fed up - when was she going to let me know if I hadnt text her? - After my kids were late for school?!
Mum and M finally turn up at 9.45am (we are waiting around for her so that we can go to a toddler group now).
Mum texts at 2pm asking how M is and that she'd collect at 4 as she was planning to collect at 3.35 but i'd be on my school run then!
I text back that I was asked to be available 8.30 - 2.30 and that I had expected M to be collected by then. i would however have her untill 3.30. i also said that im happy to be flexible but I need notice if she wants to change/extend hours as this may 'put me over my numbers' or I may have made plans.
No reply from Mum.

When she collected, mum was very appologetic. Saying she agreed with me and that she wasn't thinking straight as she has been ill/not sleeping. I sat her down and explained my situatuion, Mum was fine.
Don't know if that has sorted it :-/

sarah707
23-05-2012, 08:37 PM
My parents know that I am out between 830 and 9 / 3 and 330 and if they come between those times they will have to hand on for me!

I would never wait for a parent who was late - it's far too stressful. I would always go to school and follow my normal routine.

If parents are late they can find me I'll not have gone far.

I hope it's sorted for you! :D

Rubybubbles
23-05-2012, 08:39 PM
hhmmmm

no no no!! Don't say yes because now she will think it's okay:(

I have this in my fees

• Please remember if your child is collected earlier than the contracted time, the full fee still applies and that a Late drop off does not constitute late collection – your child must still be collected at the contracted time.

am sure I got the wording from here haha:thumbsup:

Childminder in Kent
24-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks Ruby, I will add that to my policy!
Dont know if it's sorted, I suppose time will tell!