PDA

View Full Version : bark for the garden

Helen79
22-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I moved house a few months ago and have got a slightly larger garden that I have no idea what to do with.
On one side of the path there's a strip of really patchy grass that can't really be used for anything at the moment as it gets so muddy when it's wet. I was thinking of putting bark down and putting the sand tray etc on it but worried about it getting spread around the garden.
Does anyone have bark for the play area and how do you find it? Or any alternatives that I can use?
it's a rented house so can't make a permanent change like artificial grass.

watgem
22-05-2012, 05:16 PM
i used to have bark which I thought was lovely at first, until the neighbourhood cats thought my garden was a giant litter tray! hunting for cat poop every morning in the bark wasn't a nice or easy job lol. also it did stick to the children in warmer weather, so it wouldn't be my first choice if you have lots of cats around.

linzi133
22-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I have rubber bark....Its basically shredded car tyres that has been coloured. Its fab. really adds a splash of colour into the garden. I bought it from a shop on Ebay. Its not cheap, slightly more expensive that they wood bark but it does not disintegrate so you don't have to keep topping it up.

The kids love it! Its not as messy as wood bark either (doesn't rot down) and water just runs through it......and cats don't seem to like it.

sarah707
22-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Linzi that is a great idea... my wood bark is awful for cat poo and keeps getting mushrooms growing in it :rolleyes:

thank you! :clapping:

watgem
22-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I love the sound of rubber bark I will have to look out for itxxx

linzi133
22-05-2012, 05:32 PM
I would add a pic but I don't know how too:rolleyes:

Helen79
22-05-2012, 05:37 PM
I love the look of the rubber bark but I can cover the area with wooden for £14 but the rubber looks like it'll be maybe £200 :(
Maybe I'll get wooden for now and save up for the rubber by the end of the summer.

LauraS
22-05-2012, 05:39 PM
We're rubber barking under the play equipment, it's meant to be really quick draining and clean.

We've got a little strip down the side of our garden path and we've put raised beds there for the kids to grow things - currently housing broccolli, onions and garlic, monster pumpkins, carrots and turnips etc etc. We've surrounded each bed with pea shingle, total cost for five 1.5m raised beds and umpteen bags of shingle and compost was about £120. Much neater and tastier than the boggy grass that was there. Contemplating a sand pit or mud kitchen going in the last bed (haven't filled that one yet) but don't tell H :rolleyes::o;).

Not really a permanent addition.

linzi133
22-05-2012, 05:42 PM
oh...I didn't think the price difference was that much! I know we covered a 40m2 area to a depth of 75mm (I think..don't quote me on that!) which covered falls up to 1m and it cost us £550.....not cheap! but it should last about 15years!

linzi133
22-05-2012, 05:47 PM
hopefully I've managed to add a picture!

linzi133
22-05-2012, 05:47 PM
woo hoo!!!!:clapping::clapping:

I did it!.......I'm so proud of myself!

Lady Haha
22-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I recently bought this for under my playset:

http://www.dandystopsoil.co.uk/play-safe-rubber-chippings---40ltr-bags-832-p.asp

Cheapest rubber chippings I have found anywhere! Also, the more you buy, the cheaper they get! You can have 10 x 40ltr bags for £140 or I bought 20 x 40ltr bags for £225, so £85 more for twice as much!

Remember if going for bark, you will need 'play bark' which is more expensive that the normal bark chippings, so the rubber ones aren't THAT much more expensive especially as previously said, they don't rot away or need topping up.

alwaysright
22-05-2012, 07:58 PM
if you have any cats nearby i would defo give the bark a miss! i have just had to get rid of mine and put lawn down as next doors moggies were using it as a toilet!!

sarah707
22-05-2012, 07:59 PM
woo hoo!!!!:clapping::clapping:

I did it!.......I'm so proud of myself!

Yay you! :clapping:

Helen79
22-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Remember if going for bark, you will need 'play bark' which is more expensive that the normal bark chippings, so the rubber ones aren't THAT much more expensive especially as previously said, they don't rot away or need topping up.

whats the difference? I didn't realise there were different kinds :blush:

miffy
22-05-2012, 09:48 PM
hopefully I've managed to add a picture!

That looks great and your grass is so green! :laughing:

Miffy xx

Lilylulu
22-05-2012, 10:07 PM
We also have rubber bark, its worth shopping around for different quotes, dont just buy in bags as it will cost you a fortune, they do a bulk order, we phoned around several companies we found on the internet and asked for samples for colour, quality and texture as they all vary a lot. One sample seemed to have wiry bits in it so quality can be an issue with some suppliers.
Cats have never bothered us, it drains very quickly so is all weather, and doesn't rot so is a long term investment.

catlyn
22-05-2012, 11:25 PM
whats the difference? I didn't realise there were different kinds :blush:

normal bark chippings are quite rough and scratchy..play bark is softer with less sharp edges x

Lady Haha
23-05-2012, 06:33 AM
We also have rubber bark, its worth shopping around for different quotes, dont just buy in bags as it will cost you a fortune, they do a bulk order, we phoned around several companies we found on the internet and asked for samples for colour, quality and texture as they all vary a lot. One sample seemed to have wiry bits in it so quality can be an issue with some suppliers.
Cats have never bothered us, it drains very quickly so is all weather, and doesn't rot so is a long term investment.

Ah, yes! It is cheaper to get a bulk bag from the same company I linked to! I got bags because I had no way of getting a bulk bag to the back garden so it had to be smaller bags carried through the house :D

Also, I must admit to finding the odd wiry one in my garden, so although that company is very cheap, it's obviously not the 'best' :o

mama2three
23-05-2012, 06:53 AM
I know you said you cant have artificial grass as you are renting but bark or rubber will still need a weed fabric and will kill the grass underneath in the same way as artificial grass would. Probably best to check with your landlord either way.