PDA

View Full Version : Another idea...???

mum2two
22-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Might be stupid - but anything to get our opinions heard!!

If we were de-regulated, didn't have CRB's, never had to renew first aid's, had to have double the abount of children, etc etc, how many parents do you think would've chose us??? (More children means less chance of getting out - so more a nursey feel anyway!!)

I know there are parents out there that will chose a cheaper option, but most put their children's safety first, and I can't see many opting to use a stranger that has no checks done on them. They will simply opt for the nursery, which is the 'professional, regulated setting.'

I'm by no means saying nurseries are safer or better option or anything, but just looking from a parents prespective if the changes were to happen???

I think we would all struggle for work, and nurseries would just hike their prices up - therefore not really solving the issue of 'affordable childcare!'

Anyone agree with me... or just me and my paranoia!! :p

Well, what if we had a lette/form to parents, briefly explaining the situation, and ask them at the end to respond on the form whether they would've still chosen us over a nursery if that was the situation?

Then, (providing majority of parents say they wouldn't have chosen us) send their responses off with a letter to our local MP.

If we all did it, and every MP had letters parents views pouring in, then they would have to listen to us then - wouldn't they???? :rolleyes:

xx

scoobydoo1
22-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Still waiting for my pre-reg visit from Ofsted. But what you have said sounds really good and I would do that if I had started. x

md0u0131
22-05-2012, 12:43 PM
I think we should all go on strike! That way they'll see the country can't run without us ;)

uf353432
22-05-2012, 12:44 PM
The letter I sent to my MP, and others had feedback from 4 of my 10 parents, I have offered up more if they want to read them. They all said that if my business was not longer sustainable both of them working would not be viable.

Yes parents do need to respond to this and actually if we ever get the go ahead on an e petition then parents signing might be the only way of reaching the 100k numbers we need to get them to discuss in parliment. Because I think out of 55k childminders we might be in the minority in feeling that this is a bad bad idea.

JCrakers
22-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Couldn't agree more and Ive mentioned this in a previous post :D

At the moment I really struggle to get children with about 7 nurseries in my town. I have to advertise like mad as ive never had an enquiry from the local council for 2 yrs.
Id like to know where all these imaginary extra children would come from as I've got spaces now that I would like to fill.
Where are all the children...at nunu and the other 6 nurseries we have. Why? Because parents automatically think they are better, even though they are more expensive :angry:
So by allowing me to have more children and deregulating me these children are going to then start coming to me??? :rolleyes:

mum2two
22-05-2012, 12:50 PM
So should we create one simple form that we can all use, and MP's know then that childminders unite! Simple, explaining the situation, and getting parents views.

Every childminder I've spoken to round by me doesn't want it to happen - so although there will be some that would welcome the de-regulation, I think they're the ones that struggle for work generally, hate the EYFS, don't want to do paperwok etc etc...

Most childminders are professional, and like being seen that way!!

If the e-petition gets going too - then it's just another way to get our opionion heard, before it's too late!!

xx

watgem
22-05-2012, 05:28 PM
yes please mumof2 i am rubbish at forms but if someone could create one we could all share that would be fabxxxalso how did you word your explanation to parents please?

uf353432
22-05-2012, 05:43 PM
you could always signpost parents to the new petition as well

http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders

singingcactus
22-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Before CRB's there were checks done by social services. No one had paediatric first aid, not even nurseries, although many of us in childcare did hold a first aid certificate...I have had one forever.
Despite no CRB, and no paediatric first aid certificate I was always full to bursting and had people waiting on spaces.
I hope this sets your mind at rest.

zippy
22-05-2012, 07:05 PM
I think we should all go on strike! That way they'll see the country can't run without us ;)

Now that would be amusing, I just don't think I could do that to my parents, theyre all lovely at the moment. Would be great to see the look on the faces of the powers that be.

zippy
22-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Before CRB's there were checks done by social services. No one had paediatric first aid, not even nurseries, although many of us in childcare did hold a first aid certificate...I have had one forever.
Despite no CRB, and no paediatric first aid certificate I was always full to bursting and had people waiting on spaces.
I hope this sets your mind at rest.

I don't think I'd be quite as worried if most of the country hadn't now started to rely on tax credits to help pay their childcare, if we couldn't accept tax credits I'm pretty sure I'd lose both parents as their single mums and really rely on their tax credits to keep the cost down since they both have two children.