PDA

View Full Version : Childminders being discussed on radio 4

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 10:32 AM
They have just appealed for childminders to call in as will be discussing proposals very shortly- could be worth a listen

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I have emailed them- not brave enough to talk live :laughing:

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 10:55 AM
eek- they want me to discuss my points on air!!

Mouse
22-05-2012, 10:56 AM

You HAVE to. What time is it on? Have I got long enough to find the channel?

Winnie
22-05-2012, 10:57 AM

:thumbsup: wish i could listen in- good luck :)

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 10:59 AM
about to start. can listen live on website I think

Penny1959
22-05-2012, 11:00 AM
ME to - say they want me on air as well

Want me to talk about the 5 under 5

Penny :)

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 11:01 AM
good luck penny! They havent called yet but have my number. Scary!!

Mouse
22-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Found it on my iPad!

Come on ladies. Do us proud!

Sorry children, lunch will have to wait :p

cabby
22-05-2012, 11:06 AM
ive got in on x

rickysmiths
22-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Listening now. Came in too late to comment.

rickysmiths
22-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Penny is on now!!!

Mouse
22-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Go Penny!

You don't sound like I thought you would!

Penny1959
22-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Well - was on - not much opportunity to talk but still made a point - although only on the point they wanted

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 11:15 AM
about to go on now I think

cabby
22-05-2012, 11:19 AM
£ 7 - £11 per hour :eek::eek::eek:

Penny1959
22-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Go Penny!

You don't sound like I thought you would!

Dare I say worse or better?

What the listeners don't know is I was talking on phone and serving beans on toast to the little ones - now have half can of beans down my T shirt:laughing:

rickysmiths
22-05-2012, 11:25 AM
That's a new one. Parent renting a flat near work so Granny can stay the week there with Grandchild.! Cheaper than Childcare.

rickysmiths
22-05-2012, 11:25 AM

What the listeners don't know is I was talking on phone and serving beans on toast to the little ones - now have half can of beans down my T shirt:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:

cabby
22-05-2012, 11:26 AM
That's a new one. Parent renting a flat near work so Granny can stay the week there with Grandchild.! Cheaper than Childcare.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bushpig
22-05-2012, 11:28 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

cabby
22-05-2012, 11:30 AM
about to go on now I think

is that you on now lynda.....

Mouse
22-05-2012, 11:31 AM
is that you on now lynda.....

If it is she's doing a good job!

JCrakers
22-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Lynda...very good :D

If it was you :D

Bushpig
22-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I didn't hear Penny, checked the forum too late :(.... but heard the two CMs after... all good!

mrstom
22-05-2012, 11:33 AM
If it is she's doing a good job!

I agree. Well done Lynda - you came across very well :clapping:

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I talked about prefering to be individually inspected and if necessary paying more to do so. Hope its came across ok!!

desiderata
22-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Thank you ladies, unfortunately due to school runs I didnt hear any of it :(( but thank you from the bottom of my heart for being brave enough to do this for all of us. I was at a group today and tried to tell them how important it is to have a say in this but they didnt seem concerned:(( x Is there anywhere I can hear this later ?

Penny1959
22-05-2012, 11:38 AM
I talked about prefering to be individually inspected and if necessary paying more to do so. Hope its came across ok!!

Yes came across very well - at least you got to say a lot more than me

Mouse
22-05-2012, 11:39 AM
I've got to go now and can't listen to the rest. Let me know if anything else interesting is said.

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Penny. Well done for your bit too :thumbsup:

Penny1959
22-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Well - that actually was quite well balanced - so well done Radio 4

It was good that they included so many childminders.

Bushpig
22-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Radio 4... good show!

Querying Ofsted costs at the end :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:, as apposed to deregulating CMs, exactly what I wonder and have asked Elizabeth Truss on Twitter (Jennifer on twitter). No way can we charge less, look at Ofsted.

E Truss told me Ofsted say each CM costs them £400 per year... where do they get this figure from?? No way that an inspection done every 3-4 years, and the odd variation granted can generate such a cost.

AgentTink
22-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Typical I completely missed the show, however my partner has just phoned me and told me that the childminders who spoke came across really well and their point of views could be understood. Well done to all who took part.

Is it also true that in one of the countries the childcare is from 7 til 4 for all? Well that would certainly make my costs slightly cheaper if I had set opening hours that everybody used.

I think it is really unfair comparing our childcare costs to other countries. Some of those countries pay higher tax then we do so the government can help fund the rest. There is no way that would be possible in our country.

Twinkles
22-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Typical I completely missed the show, however my partner has just phoned me and told me that the childminders who spoke came across really well and their point of views could be understood. Well done to all who took part.

Is it also true that in one of the countries the childcare is from 7 til 4 for all? Well that would certainly make my costs slightly cheaper if I had set opening hours that everybody used.

I think it is really unfair comparing our childcare costs to other countries. Some of those countries pay higher tax then we do so the government can help fund the rest. There is no way that would be possible in our country.

Very good point AgentTink. :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
22-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Well done Lynda

They are now taking about how the how the system in Holland hasn't worked.

How tax in Sweden and Denmark is so much higher than us, Denmark tax is 50%.
This is what helps subsidise their Childcare Costs. :rolleyes:

Gherkin
22-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Missed it and you cannot listen again to that show.

Anyway - well done ladies.

rickysmiths
22-05-2012, 12:23 PM
[/COLOR]

Very good point AgentTink. :thumbsup:

While I was taking my son to school for an exam they interviewed a Brit with an Italian wife who has chosen to stay in Italy because of the cheap childcare.

It would have cost them £2000 per month for twins in a Nursery in the SE of England.

But they both work in Italy and pay 51% Income Tax each!!!

Can you imagine if our income Tax rate was increased to 50% so we could subsidise things like childcare more heavily.

lozzy23
22-05-2012, 12:27 PM

You were brilliant:thumbsup:, I missed Penny but hope to hear it again later on playback. Thank you to you both and the other childminders who went on air to put their points accross. Overall I thought it was a good show.

I have to say I have feeling sick to the pit of my stomach the last couple of days, I have just recently become accredited and two of my LO's have been able to access funding for three year olds (on a lesser amount than my hourly rate, which has not increased for 4 years!:rolleyes:). But I was thrilled and soooo proud on becoming accredited and also the fact that I was able to help with two families childcare costs. I hope it was not all for nothing.

lozzy23
22-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Missed it and you cannot listen again to that show.

Oh no did not realise that:(:(:(

Smiley
22-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Well done everyone who took part I missed it, I wonder if it is available to listen to on iplayer.

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Its available to listen to now on the website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules/fm

Heaven Scent
22-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Really really well done to everyone who spoke - shame they cut you short Penny - I'm afraid I couldn't hear it properly as don't remember how to work the radio in the kitchen so used the lap top. Unfortunately unlike yesterday I was feeding 3 LO's and the baby kept making really loud shouting noises plus lap top was at the other end of the kitchen well away from any accidental food damage LOL.

How could the Landscape gardener and Solicitor not afford a Childminder??? - all my parents can afford me - it may well be a huge pain but they afford it - :panic:

People in this country wouldn't pay 50% tax to subsidise other peoples childcare costs.

Besides Highly subsidised childcare what other benefits do they have in the Countries mentioned in the programme - do they have totally free education where everything down to pens crayons etc are provided and an NHS system where everything is free especially for children (OK most adults have to pay a tax per item for their prescriptions here) - I certainly know that In Ireland where income tax is really high families have to pay for all school equipment including very very expensive text books - there is a very hefty charge for every visit to the doctor and medicines are charged for at face value so a great deal more than the £7+ tax we pay here. They equally have to pay high childcare fees there - I think its swings and roundabouts and the bigger picture has to be looked at.

md0u0131
22-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Am just listening now on iplayer.

A friend on Facebook is currently annoying me as she's quite happy to pay £10 an hour to a cleaner but is moaning about £3.50 an hour for childcare!!

miffy
22-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Missed it :rolleyes: will have a listen later on iplayer.

Well done everyone who spoke - at least we are beginning to be heard!

Miffy xx

murrayspud
22-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Well done to all those who took part - your points were clear and concise.

I was just thinking, how does childcare costs in UK being high and parents paying nearly 30% of wages to childcare (presumably for private nurseries) = childminders need to become unregulated and inspected by agencies or nurseries to lower costs? Surely the private nurseries will continue to charge whatever they want to charge. Plus I cannot see how de regulation of childminders will help to lower overall childcare costs. It will only create a 2 tier system, not a level playing field. :panic:

uf353432
22-05-2012, 01:45 PM
petiton started

add you names to the list and forward on facebook and twitter, email etc

http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders

miss mopple
22-05-2012, 02:05 PM
have signed and shared

mrstom
22-05-2012, 02:18 PM
have signed and shared

Me too. Signed and shared on facebook

Carol M
22-05-2012, 02:35 PM
We've been out in the sunshine and I missed it all!
Thank you for the link , have just listened to. Well done Penny and Lynda :clapping:
Carol x

sarahjane
22-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Signed and shared

Penny1959
22-05-2012, 03:53 PM
petiton started

add you names to the list and forward on facebook and twitter, email etc

http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders

Thank you - this is a different site to the one I tried - but well done you - really pleased that we have got the full wording

Thank you again.

PS have you started a new thread so people don't miss it?

Heaven Scent
23-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Petition signed - and posted on facebook -

When I checked my emails last night after work I discovered I'd had a phone call from the producers of the radio programme - they wanted to speak to me apparently.