PDA

View Full Version : Feel awful - should have called an ambulance

juslh
22-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I was on my way home yesterday with 4 children. I was aware a class mate of one of my children was behind us following us down the hill, his mum a bit behind. Over my shoulder there was suddenly a bang, screech and then scream...the lad behind us had run out between 2 vehicles and was hit by a car coming down the road. He leapt up and ran to his mum. Me and another mum stopped to help. He had cut his hand a bit but was otherwise coherent tho very upset. But it was a big bang, he must have been hit hard. I said to mum she must take him to get checked over given the bang. The driver confirmed he had been hit in the air. But we didnt call an ambulance and I just dont know what possessed me not to. Mum was in no fit state to make a decision about what to do. She did take him to get checked over and he was admitted to hospital and I have heard no more...just feel so stupid that I didnt just call an ambulance for them in the first place. :( I really hope he is ok.

EmmaReed84
22-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Ohhhh, what a horrid thing for all involved. I am sure you can forgive yourself for not thinking straight. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Hope he is ok xxx

JCrakers
22-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I think we've all got a story where we can say 'I wish I'd done that'.
You stopped and helped and that probably helped the mum.

Maybe you can learn from this and maybe teach yourself to react differently next time :D
It's natural for our bodies to react this way and it's not until afterwards we realise we could have handled it better.
Hope he ok..I'm sure he'll be fine :D just make sure you ask mum next time you see her, I'm sure she'll thank you for caring.

Bridey
22-05-2012, 11:10 AM
It wasn't a life threatening situation (I know it could have been but he got up and ran to his mum) and mum took him to be checked. The ambulance staff couldn't have done more for him than that and mum would have wasted time waiting for them. You did the very, very best thing - you made sure he was checked rather than being taken home. Big pat on the back for you.

Zoomie
22-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but pat yourself on the back, you still helped mum and he did get up afterwards.

I have had a couple of things happen in my life, where I have imagined how I would react or feel, and a lot of the time I find I haven't felt or done what I thought I would.

Hope the boy in question is not feeling too sore.

jelly15
22-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Don't feel bad, seeing him get up and run to mum was what surprised you, if he was still on the floor you would have rang for an ambulance. Hope he is ok.

The Juggler
22-05-2012, 01:19 PM
hey you were working with lots of children with you - you stopped but it was not all down to you to ensure mum and child was ok. You had to put your charges first. The driver and other mum were there to help too.
:)
Have you heard today how he is?

miffy
22-05-2012, 01:31 PM
You weren't the only person there and it was probably quicker for mum to take him to be checked over than wait for an ambulance.

Don't beat yourself up about this. Hope you've heard he's OK today

Miffy xx

zippy
22-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Don't be hard on yourself, you all will have been in shock, it's easy to see things different later on, all anyone can do is their best. All the first aid training in the world doesn't prepare you for real life situations, Im sure I would have gone to pieces completely, be proud of what you did do, I'm sure the mum will be eternally grateful to uou just for stopping. Hopes he's ok, let us know if you hear anymore.