PDA

View Full Version : Accredited or not Accredited...that is the question

Helen Dempster
22-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi gang

I really want to be able to offer parents the free childcare places. However, I keep hearing different things about it, both positive and negative and can't make up my mind whether or not to become accredited. I've also been hearing things about the new EYFS and that maybe we won't need to be accredited anymore to offer the free places....

I'm soooooooo confused, can someone please help me?

Thank you

Rubybubbles
22-05-2012, 07:22 AM
interested in replys as I am also looking at maybe:o getting accredited after having a long chat with my local NCMA lady

JCrakers
22-05-2012, 07:26 AM
I tried to become accredited a few months ago but my council made it so difficult of me I didn't do it in the end. If it had been simpler then I would have done it :D
I had to produce an 8 page businessplan showing a 3yr plan of my business, with question after question about how I have a sustainable business. They wanted me to display my earnings for 2yrs and I found I didn't have time for what I thought was paperwork for paperworks sake. No other county has to do this.

I would love to be accredited.i have a good and I have a level 3 so I am eligible. I'd say go for it.

Ripeberry
22-05-2012, 07:29 AM
In my area its not worth it. We have to do a panel interview as well for the honour of getting 'free places' that are less than our hourly rate :rolleyes: I think my quality time with my family is more important to be honest.

QualityCare
22-05-2012, 08:12 AM
In my area its fairly easy good or outstanding and doing a quality assurance scheme, no extra paper work or plans. Every area is different so look into what your area expects and then decide. Also ours pay slightly higher than my hourly rate.

sarah707
22-05-2012, 05:17 PM
I became accredited - it was not a huge amount of extra work here in Cheshire.

However the 2 children for whom I was accredited now go to nurseries as the nursery owners told parents they MUST take all their 15 hours with them and couldn't split it with me.

I tried to explain it to parents but they were so worried about losing their spaces at nursery they went along with it. :(

It was less than my hourly rate as well :rolleyes:

Hth :D

lozzy23
22-05-2012, 05:33 PM
I have recently become accredited. Spent one afternoon for 4 weeks with my DO, she checked all my paperwork, including planning, risk assessments, policies/procedure etc.... and show evidence for the NCMA Children Come First Quality Standards and EYFS. I actually enjoyed these meetings and feel that I know my DO better and able to ask her anything.

I split the funding with the local pre-school and it is 15p less than my normal hourly rate.

butterfly
22-05-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm accredited. In Devon it's quite easy - you have to have good or outstanding ofsted, have been running for a year and have a min of level 3 qualification.

There's no extra paperwork except the termly headcount form where you add up how many hours the children are claiming.

I get a yearly visit from the local children's centre teacher and only accredited childminders can access free training.

However they do pay nearly a £1 less per hour than I usually charge.

jumping j
22-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I have recently become accredited. Spent one afternoon for 4 weeks with my DO, she checked all my paperwork, including planning, risk assessments, policies/procedure etc.... and show evidence for the NCMA Children Come First Quality Standards and EYFS. I actually enjoyed these meetings and feel that I know my DO better and able to ask her anything.

It was like this for me too, only took me a couple of months from first asking to being accredited, just waiting for the certificate now.
No extra paperwork just attend a meeting 2 or 3 times a year.
I wanted to be able to offer another option to the parents than the local nursery which has had mixed reviews

blue bear
22-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I've been accredited for 10 years, in Wiltshire we have a gateway interview with do, attend a 4 week course, complete some paperwork, have food and hygiene cert and inclusion policy in place. Also Need to be at least level 3 qualified with at least a good grading from ofsted.

After this paperwork is the same as for all children in eyfs except for the form you fill in to get your money. You have to agree to attend 20 hours of training a year on top of first aid.

This year is the first time a parent has asked for care just for funded hours. Most parents do a split of hours with pre school.

Helcatt
22-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I have my first meeting on the 1st of June, to start going through stuff with my DO

I have to be GOOD, already am, have a level three, check, be part of the network, already am, do extra training through out the year, check!

I need to do my SEF - been putting that off for a while so gives me the kick up the bum to complete

There is nothing that she has asked of me, that I would not already be doing or planning to do (so far)

My concern is the lower rate of pay, but the pay off for me, is that I will keep mindee and get sibling in October

Hx

ajs
22-05-2012, 08:16 PM
I have my first meeting on the 1st of June, to start going through stuff with my DO

I have to be GOOD, already am, have a level three, check, be part of the network, already am, do extra training through out the year, check!

I need to do my SEF - been putting that off for a while so gives me the kick up the bum to complete

There is nothing that she has asked of me, that I would not already be doing or planning to do (so far)

My concern is the lower rate of pay, but the pay off for me, is that I will keep mindee and get sibling in October

Hx

I've got my first meeting about it n the 29 th so desperately trying to catch up with paperwork before she comes

miffy
22-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I've got my first meeting about it n the 29 th so desperately trying to catch up with paperwork before she comes

I'm glad you decided to do it

Miffy xx