PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted behaviour

PrettyFlowers
21-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Please help... I'm very new to childminding and I am having big problems with my first mindee.
She doesn't speak any english so communication is very hard, but she has started pushing the other children quite aggresivley. Also she wont share any toys and snatches from the others. I have spoken to the father who kind of brushed the problem away.
I dont know what to do next, how long to stick with it. I have been following my behaviour policy, but its not stopping the behaviour.
It doesnt help her parents have also been messing me around a bit regarding days and times, also paying late! Grrrrrrr! I didnt realise it is this hard!

christine e
21-05-2012, 08:10 PM
How old is she?

PrettyFlowers
21-05-2012, 08:12 PM
She is 2.9yrs, I'm at my wits end as I am sure she understands what I am saying..

sarah707
21-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Have you tried using a communication book? Pictures and words in English and her home language...

You might include pictures such as a hand for stop and 'no' / 'nein' etc... also helpful pictures such as drink, tired, food etc.

Use it with her over a few weeks to support her communication and see if it helps. You won't change this sort of behaviour overnight - expect a long slog.

Watch her carefully - are there certain times of the day when she is worse than others? Is she tired / hungry when it happens?

Observe over a few days, write it up and see if you can spot a pattern.

Hth xx

miffy
21-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Your profile,says you've only been registered since April so I'm guessing she's only been with you a few weeks. That's not long to settle in especially as there is also the language barrier.

You need to have the parents help to translate some words/phrases into her own language as well as in English.

Monitor, like Sarah said,a nd see if things improve in a few weeks.

Miffy xx

missymood
21-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Concentrate on sharing games, puzzle, turn taking, play dough together, water play, tunnels and dens. This will help her feel comfortable with others but it may take a while for her to settle.