PDA

View Full Version : Worried about being messed about

melco
21-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I have a lo coming for a settling in period tomorrow then the mum wants her to start this wednesday. I have heard on the childcare.co.uk website that she has been messing other childminders about but as I had the space to fill I thought I might as well meet with them and see what has been going on. The mum said that she doesn't seem to settle when there are a lot of children about and because I would be having her and one other from July they were happy to use me.

The worry I have is that in her email she says that she would like to see how it goes for a few weeks to see how she settles. I know she is having settling in tomorrow and then starts wednesday but am worried she will just say its not working and pull her out as she did with another childminder just after 2 weeks. Where do I stand with this if she does this to me?

Thanks

melco

caz3007
21-05-2012, 12:34 PM
I think you will find that most of us have a 4 week settling period in our contracts anyway, that works either way.

Poor LO though if its being moved around, and 2 weeks isnt always long enough to settle into a new environment. Hope it goes ok

mama2three
21-05-2012, 12:38 PM
you also need to make sure she realises that there may be a time when you take on more children, she cant dictate your business . At the moment you may be happy with the 2 from july but you never know what the future holds.

melco
21-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks, I have the NCMA contracts, is it in there? And if she does pull her out after 2 weeks can I still charge for the other 2 weeks?

melco
21-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I have found it!! Thanks, I feel better now!!

mama2three
21-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Rickysmiths suggested in a recent thread that you take a deposit which is non-refundable if they leave within the first so many months of care. After this it is used towards the final months fee. Sounds like it would be a sensible precaution to take in this situation. ( hope i got that right RS)

rickysmiths
21-05-2012, 12:43 PM
She needs to sign a contract and pay a four weeks fees deposit plus the months fees in advance.

I also now have in my fees policy that it they reduce their hours in the first six months they loss that % of their deposit and if they leave in the first six months they loss all their Deposit. If they stay the deposit id held to cover their four weeks notice period.

Goatgirl
21-05-2012, 12:51 PM
HI,
Yes, get a contract out and have a read through the bit about deposit taken and settling in period etc including notes on the back of the contract. You have to fill in the way you do things.
I would be inclined to ask the parent for 4 weeks fees upfront as a deposit against the final 4 weeks fees and make it clear that although the LO can leave before the 4 weeks settling in period ends, full fees will be payable for the period.

Unless you are happy to do a few sessions to see how LO is with you and charge a higher rate than usual, to be paid in advance for the sessions.... I would think the more time spent at yours though, the better she will settle.

I would also tell mum that while you are quiet at the moment you expect to get busier in the future but it should work well for lo to get used to you and the setting with one other lo there so would not take long to get used to an additional child when one comes along. :thumbsup:

good luck,
Wendy :)